California, Here I Come!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey folks,
Just a simple thread to let y'all know that I leave for San Francisco tomorrow (which is actually today already) morning! This is a long term move in order to attend grad school. As I don't expect to have a computer or internet in my living space for a while, I might not be around here as much, but I do hope to check in from time to time. Its been lots of fun :D. See you on the "left" coast!
Jon

SteveStephens

Newly Enlightened
Welcome Solstice,
Did you already find a "living space"? I thought California was all filled up already. At least it seems like that now. When you get out here keep an eye open for a flashlight get together in the bay area which some of the guys put one several times a year. I went to a nitetime one out of San Jose a few months ago and it was a blast. Some nice flashoholics out here.
Steve

turbodog

Flashaholic
Someone died and he was next on the list.

SteveStephens said:
Welcome Solstice,
Did you already find a "living space"? I thought California was all filled up already. At least it seems like that now. ...
Steve

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog said:
Someone died and he was next on the list.

Yeah, well, I'll be paying a small fortune to live in one of the "scariest" sections of the city (the Tenderloin, for those that know). Not too thrilled about this, but hopefully, I'll survive :).

CLHC

Flashaholic
"The Tenderloin"! :huh:

Anyhou, Welcome to Cali-Fornia and looking forward to meeting up with you sometime down the road. There's one being planned for in October(?) at the Santa Clara Fair Grounds' Gun Show. JimH recommended this "shopping spree" for those wishing to.

Enjoy Your Trip Somewhere Out West!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Trashman said:
Are THE Mythbusters related to Tad Gear somehow?
They apparently shop at TAD - there was a post about it on USN, and later it was commented on EDCF as well, by TAD dude himself.

The L1P on the show came from TAD. ;)

That and Dirty Jobs are good shows.
/highjack

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I understand it, the Tenderloin has gotten a little better with immigrant families moving in, and the plain cost of housing driving out some of the prostitution and drugs, but it's not all gone. Realistically, I think you'll be able to find housing elsewhere in the city as comparable pricing once you get settled in and get to know the city a bit better. While the proximity gives me a general idea as to what grad school you'll be attending, I'm a bit surprised that their housing office couldn't recommend a better area for the price. (and regardless of where you live in the city, it's all expensive.)

Solstice said:
Yeah, well, I'll be paying a small fortune to live in one of the "scariest" sections of the city (the Tenderloin, for those that know). Not too thrilled about this, but hopefully, I'll survive :).

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
Solstice,
Good luck on your move. San Fo is a great place. If you need anything give us bay area cpf'ers a holla! Which grad school you goin to?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:

Where at in The 'Loin? PM me if you need any assistance with the area...

-dan

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Solstice to the bay area. Lots of things to see and do here, so I hope you don't spend all your time on grad work and get out and have some fun too.

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
Hope you have fun in the City. If you like VC food, try Tulan on 6th and Murder(Market).

Adam and Jamie did come in and buy some stuff from us. I had lunch with them earlier that day.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
VC = Vietnamese food. Tulan is famous for its food, but you wouldn't know it based on looks, alone.

Not to hijack, but on Market at Brady Alley there's a little chinese food joint called The Sunrise Cafe that makes the best mongolian beef I've ever had, and I'm a conosieur (sp?) of mongolian beef...

-dan

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Dan, I kind of thought that was the inference.

As there appear to be a number of members on this site who are of Asian descent, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least a few who may be of Vietnmese descent. I don't know if they might find it offensive to hear someone referring to Vietnamese style food as being synonomous with the Viet Cong. After all, many of these people or their parents/grandparents were refugees to U.S. who were forced to abandon their homes and country because of the Viet Cong. As a member of the AVN, I saw a lot of the arduous conditions that these people were forced to endure, and the lucky ones survived and made it to the U.S. The less fortunate may have ended up as shark bait in the Pacific, or the Gulf of Thailand; or become victims of the Viet Cong.

Quite honestly, I'd be a little surprised if someone didn't take offense to such a demeaning references. It certainly doesn't seem to reflect well on the individual as a merchant; certainly not one who does business in San Francisco.

dano said:
VC = Vietnamese food. Tulan is famous for its food, but you wouldn't know it based on looks, alone.

Not to hijack, but on Market at Brady Alley there's a little chinese food joint called The Sunrise Cafe that makes the best mongolian beef I've ever had, and I'm a conosieur (sp?) of mongolian beef...

-dan

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not of Asian decent but I winced when I saw that "VC" reference. Frankly I couldn't believe it and thought it must be an acronym for something other than Viet Cong.
I have always thought of it as a derogatory term. Bet you wouldn't use it out loud it an Asian restuarant. Unless you like your rations with an unhappy ending.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's nothing derogatory about Viet Cong if you were a member of that underground organization, however most of the refugees and immigrants from Viet Nam fled to get away from that organization and the North Vietnamese government that backed them. If I were one of those people I'd be mad as hell and take great offense to being identified with that group. It was bad enough being the "ugly American" over there.

It does remind me of one of the posters who struck me as being of Chinese ancestry, making a post some time ago, labeling his grandmother in New York as a "commie". I would hope that what he meant was that his grandmother had immigrated from Mainland China, and not that she was a member of the CPUSA.

TedTheLed said:
I'm not of Asian decent but I winced when I saw that "VC" reference. Frankly I couldn't believe it and thought it must be an acronym for something other than Viet Cong.
I have always thought of it as a derogatory term. Bet you wouldn't use it out loud it an Asian restuarant. Unless you like your rations with an unhappy ending.