Best Throw in a Luxeon LED light?

lukestephens777

Enlightened
Have been looking at the Streamlight Pro Polymer 4 AA Luxeon, sounds like a good light. I would like a light that doesn't use Lithiums as they are too expensive, when you live in Australia and try to get them shipped. :rant:

Something with a Luxeon I or III with excellent throw and a nice beam pattern too. I have a Jet Beam and a Fenix L2T, which are both excellent but would like more throw.

Any ideas??

Cheers!!

Haz

Enlightened
Go for the SLProPoly 4AA, batteries in most forms of chemistry are easy to find, and the run time is great.

Norm

Retired Administrator

lukestephens777

Enlightened
Cheers Mate, Yeah like the 123 rechargeable route, but have heard about them exploding or something. Who knows everyone tells ya different stories. Might have to look into it. Cheers Norm

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
I was just out on on my land last night comparing a new Streamlight 4AA Pro Polymer Luxeon to a Maglight 3D with the 3W LED drop in (by Maglite). While the Pro Polymer is a truly remarkable light in just about every category, the 3D Maglite with the 3W LED did indeed out throw the Streamlight, and by more than just a little as the beam can be adjusted down to a real pencil beam.
And a side note - to my surprise the 1W Luxeon Pro Polymer threw perhaps a little better than my Inova T3. Yes, the T3 put out more light overall, but I was surprised to see a 1W with a reflector out throw a 3W with an optic.

Summary - the Streamlight is a truly fantastic light, but the 3D Maglite with the 3W LED will out throw it.

Have a great day!

Last edited:

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
First, there are several dealers who offer lithium batteries at good prices and at low shipping charges, such as:

Battery Station
EliteLED
Lighthound

Then there's eBay also, where you can find some good deals.

If you are determined NOT to use lithium battery powered lights, then to get good throw in a light you may have to use lights that use C or D sized batteries. AAA and AA powered lights seem to be limited in their throw at this time.

Sorry that I can't suggest any specific non-lithium powered long throw lights, as all of my (long throw) lights are lithium powered.

[Edit:] A quick look at Flashlight Reviews; the Nuwai X-3 seems to have a reasonable throw and it runs on AA sized batteries, but the runtime appears to be limited.

You may want to consider visiting Flashlight Reviews to get an idea of what lights may be suitable for your purposes.

Last edited:

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
The Inova T3 I have is a reasonable thrower. And it has a reasonable runtime (for it's throw).

Another suggestion. Have a look at Flashlight Reviews throw chart here .
You can sort the columns by clicking on the column header/title.

This chart is quite useful as it lists throws of MANY lights. Looking at this chart may save you time in determining which lights are better suited for your purposes.

Rando

Enlightened
Regarding lithiums, I felt the same way as you did because of the cost, but they're really not so bad as long as you don't buy them at the drug store. D batteries usually run close to a dollar anyway. GreenLED has compiled a list of vendors that offer discounts to CPF members here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/56067 Battery Station offers CR123 cells for $1 plus shipping. Hope this helps you.

Edit: As for the longest throw, probably the Heliotek, but don't know if you want to spend that much.

Last edited:

ronyama

Newly Enlightened
I have a Ledbeam 3c and it is a great thrower. Not quite as handy as the PP 4AA Luxeon.

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
lukestephens777 said:
Have been looking at the Streamlight Pro Polymer 4 AA Luxeon, sounds like a good light. I would like a light that doesn't use Lithiums as they are too expensive, when you live in Australia and try to get them shipped. :rant:

Something with a Luxeon I or III with excellent throw and a nice beam pattern too. I have a Jet Beam and a Fenix L2T, which are both excellent but would like more throw.

Any ideas??

Cheers!!

You might try a Gladius or a Led Logic Striker..............

Thehappyman

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
lukestephens777 said:
The ProPolymer sounds good, is there anything brighter? Like a Lux III?

I just ordered one of these
http://ledbeam.com/
They were all the rage for a while but then a few people started having problems with the switches breaking which I completely forgot about. I don't know if they ever fixed that or not but this is supposed to be a throw monster& it's a luxeon III.