Post a pic of your biggest catch!

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went fishing for fluke just last saturday right around Coney Island and this is the biggest (and sadly only one) that I caught.

bigfishhx8.png

one of the crew on the ship said that it mustve been about 3 pounds... not that big, but good for the first catch of my life!

I was a bit drunk with happiness and didnt feel too well due to seasickness.... almost fainted when I saw that thing dangling on my line...

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations!! Very nice catch. We call them flounder here. Bake with crabmeat stuffing. Best eating in the ocean!!!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Nice catch! :thumbsup:

Growing up in Hawaii, we went fishing with my uncles and I've never caught anything. My brother, uncles and cousins always manage to do so. . .Maybe someday 'round here in da mainland.

Thanks for Sharing and Enjoy!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratuations Mags, now you've got to start learning to tell those "fish" stories. Like "I was fishing near Coney Island and caught the biggest fish of my life!" (that's all 100% true according to what you wrote ;) )

Mags said:
I went fishing for fluke just last saturday right around Coney Island and this is the biggest (and sadly only one) that I caught.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I go a few miles out into the Galveston Bay often. We catch Reds and Sheephead often. Last outting I got me a Stingray :D And dang, those are hard to reel in!

I hate fish, dont like eating it at all, but the actual fishing is fun. Even more so when out on a boat.

-C

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never really caught anything big but here's a pic of my son Jasper with his first big one. He caught it early this summer. Nice small mouth bass.

Jasperfish.JPG

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
We landed about 30+ panfish but sent everything back. I asked him if he wanted to keep any and he said no. We're heading out next week to a cottage so hopefully we can get some more. That was his first fishing experience. Not bad for a 6 year old. If there's cats in the lake, im keeping some for sure. ;)

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never see the point to throwing back fish, unless they're enedible or illegal. Fish taste goooood. Plus it seems a shame to put the fish through all that unless it was for a good reason.

I haven't been able to catch much. Mostly those little bluegills that the local ponds are full of. Tasty in a way, but hard to get all the bones out of. Tried saltwater surf fishing--never caught a thing. Next time I go sailing I figure I'll try some trolling offshore. Lots of good stripers and bluefish in the ocean around town. Can't wait to land a great big one.

Topper

Flashaholic*
ABTOMAT said:
I never see the point to throwing back fish, unless they're enedible or illegal. Fish taste goooood. Plus it seems a shame to put the fish through all that unless it was for a good reason.

I haven't been able to catch much. Mostly those little bluegills that the local ponds are full of. Tasty in a way, but hard to get all the bones out of. Tried saltwater surf fishing--never caught a thing. Next time I go sailing I figure I'll try some trolling offshore. Lots of good stripers and bluefish in the ocean around town. Can't wait to land a great big one.

There is a small lake close to where I live and some folks "tag" fish. I have caught the same Bass three times it was "tagged" twice I let it go three times. I do not "tag" fish nor keep more than I need at the time. I like catching the same fish a year or so later and know I could have kept it but let it go so another dad and son might get the chance. Beats smoking crack but thats just my thoughts.
Topper :)

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fish a lot and practice both "Catch and Release" and "Catch and Cook". A flounder like Mags is probably my favorite but a walleye shore lunch is hard to beat!!!

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
No idea if its just around New York, but the crew of the boat told us that we werent allowed to take any home that were under 18 (17?) inches. While we released many undersized ones we did eat quite a number of them. Lotsa sushi... a catch around every 10 minutes with everyone on the boat flocking to the back where they were choppin it up. All fish besides the flukes/flounders were released, including a small mouth bass and 2 sand sharks or it couldve been the same one on both accounts. And whats this about tagging fish? Where would they tag it? BigIron, how big do the flukes/flounders get around your area? Someone I know who fished in the same place I did caught a 9 pounder a few days ago... Still has half of it in the freezer.

Last edited:

livetofall

Newly Enlightened
If you saw my earlier post I fish the Columbia river and get some nice spring chinook and sturgeon. Problem is i have a broken femur so I am not able to dig through the storage unit to find my photo box:(

Last edited by a moderator:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mags, about the largest we'll see here is around 10lbs, but that would be very rare. Most are 2 or 3 pounds, which is just about the perfect size for the table. My largest was about 6 pounds.

drizzle

Enlightened
I can't find the pic right now but I hold the family record for largest trout caught.

5.5 lbs., 25.5 inches

I caught it in a stream in Glacier National Park on 3 lb test leader and an egg hook. My uncle, who used to be a ranger there told us about the "secret" lake and stream. The other trout we caught were in the 3.5 to 4 lb range and over 20 inches.

This really fries my older brother who is the real fisherman of the family. He's probably caught hundreds if not thousands of times as many fish as I have. I only went fishing as a kid on our summer vacations.

By the way, regarding catch and release, he takes trips into Northern B.C., Yukon and Alaska every summer and finds spots where he catches so many fish so quickly that he releases very many and still keeps what he wants for eating.

If I find the picture I'll come back and add it.

Oh, and congratulations Mags!