Another reminder of why it's good to be a flashaholic!

Gatsby

Enlightened
So I'm at my neighbors late last night taking care of their old golden retriever while they are out of town. She is happy to have some company and not real excited to go outside and do her business so I walk out on the deck with her and, ooops, shut the door behind me which is now locked. Thankfully, I have the front door key still in my pocket but I've got to get back to the front of their house, which sits on a very steep incline and features a multilayered deck and natrual garden/waterfall fish pond configuration. No lights and I need to navigate this unfamiliar setting. And since it is nice and natural in their backyard I'm pretty sure there are going to be a ton of spiders and some nice new webs. Thankfully, I have my HDS B42XRGT with me so I pull that out of my pocket and start making my way to the front. After I pass the first coaster size arachnid I crank it up and lock it on maximum brightness - I do NOT want to walk into one of those guys! I manage to get around to the front without incident and my only regret was I didn't have my Strion on me. When you're trying to avoid spiderwebs and large spiders, well, a hotwire really does make them stand out better than the white LED.

However, I was very glad I hadn't made the trip without a light
biggrin.gif
OK, that isn't really realistic, but I was thankful I had more than just my fauxton on my key ring!
tongue.gif

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's stories like this that only make me wonder all the more why people laugh at me cause I carry a flashlight with me. Actually, two! :grin2:

AA89GTA

Newly Enlightened
Hahaha Yeah Right. You know you let the door shut behind you on purpose just so you'd have an excuse to use your light. HA! j/k I feel the same way you do about walking into large spiderwebs. My yard has many plants and we have quite a few garden spiders. I usually have my SF C3 on as I walk up to the front door, mainly to A.) avoid walking into a stranger who may be hiding out in my yard and B.) avoid startling the skunk that likes to hang out around my door...and now I have another reason: C.) avoid running into giant spider webs! Heh!

--Aaron

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lite_me said:
It's stories like this that only make me wonder all the more why people laugh at me cause I carry a flashlight with me. Actually, two! :grin2:

Yeah, everyone laughs at you, until it suddenly gets dark. All of a sudden people look at you like.....where's your lights.

:grin2:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Yup & Yes & Yeah! That's among the many other reasons that I carry a flashlight with me, especially around the house, since we do have spiders lurking around here. I tend to use either my SureFire M6, Mag.11 or the MC.60 as perimeter lighting, with my 3[M]iniMag and/or McLux.PD as backup when I go outside to have a looksee. There's Black Widows that come out and hang around here. That's not to mention the low hanging yellow jacket hives in the patio umbrella. Sure don't want to accidentally bump into any of these creatures in the dark!

europium

Enlightened
Interestingly, just tonight I went for a walk in a nearby park (a large park, not well lit at all). I decided to rest on a bench for a while, maybe 20 or 30 minutes. Later when I got home, I saw a spider on the top right shoulder of my jacket as I was taking it off to hang up. Apparently the spider had hitched a ride home with me. The immediate thing I thought of was to blow him off the jacket. Uh, oh. Now I have a spider on the carpet crawling around. Underneath a 100W overhead light I could not see the light-colored spider against the light-colored carpet. I still had my Fenix P1 in my pocket so I grabbed it quickly and turned it on and shone it around my feet. I spotted it crawling away and stomped on it before it could get any further. I needed the extra output of the spot portion of the Fenix P1 to see and stop the spider.

So you just never know when you'll need light quickly.... :)

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
People always look at you odd for carying a flashlight or a knife, yet how many times do we hear "anybody got a flashlight/knife". I answer "Yes. You can use it this time, but I won't lend it to you again. Go buy your own."