Switching Photon bulb

Bobor

Newly Enlightened
Can I switch LEDs from a Photon knock-off that I bought from a Dollar store with an actual Photon Microlight?

I'm finding that the bulb on the knock-off is noticeably brighter than the stock Photon but that the plastic casing is "iffy" -- I figure that I could get the best of both worlds -- a brighter light with a better case

Both lights use the same batteries and both are white LEDs

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This should be OK. The most likely hangup would be if one or both of the legs in the knockoff are shorter than what is needed in the Photon. If that is not a problem, and you can match the shape the legs are bent into, it should work fine. The knockoff LED may start to lose brighness after a LOT of use, as cheap LED's are known for poor lumen maintenance, but once the batteries are run in a bit, it won't be driven all that hard, you would have to go through a lot of sets of batteries to notice the dimming. For the ultimate, get one of the premium 5mm LED's from the Sandwich Shoppe, like a Nichia CS (U-bin) or uncut MJLED. Bright and durable.

Hondo

vortechs

Enlightened
I have tried the uncut (full acrylic dome) SMJLED in a Photon Freedom microlight. Even with the uncut version of the SMJLED, the beam has a very wide angle (it is more of a floodlight). In my experience the brightness level is very dependant on how fresh the two 2016 coin cell batteries are. The two 2016 coin cells really can't deliver enough current to fully utilize the capability of the 4-die SMJLED. They come closest when they are brand new, but their ability to deliver current drops off as they are used. I've been considering replacing the two 2016 primary coin cells with a LIR2032 Li-Ion rechargeable coin cell since I've heard it has less voltage sag under load and can deliver more current.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
vortechs, I agree, even uncut the MJ/SMJLED's don't focus and throw like a Nichia, and the best thrower I have tried is the 50K JELED, at the expense of smoothness in the spill. I like the idea of the LIR2032 Li-Ion, do you know a good source for those? My wife has a crank light from last Christmas that uses one, and it did not last 6 months. Nice light when the battery holds the charge, but I hope it won't trash a new battery just as fast. I tried not to let it die, kept it charged, since running them to death can be the end of the larger Li-Ions, and I assumed that would be bad for the coin cell also.

Hondo

vortechs

Enlightened
Hondo said:
vortechs, I agree, even uncut the MJ/SMJLED's don't focus and throw like a Nichia, and the best thrower I have tried is the 50K JELED, at the expense of smoothness in the spill. I like the idea of the LIR2032 Li-Ion, do you know a good source for those? My wife has a crank light from last Christmas that uses one, and it did not last 6 months. Nice light when the battery holds the charge, but I hope it won't trash a new battery just as fast. I tried not to let it die, kept it charged, since running them to death can be the end of the larger Li-Ions, and I assumed that would be bad for the coin cell also.

Hondo

I agree with you about the brightness & throw of the JELED 50k mcd 5mm white LED's. I've put one of them in a Photon Freedom too. The JELED's beam isn't quite as nice and smooth as the Nichia, so I think the Nichia makes a better choice for a high end mass market keychain light like the Photon, but the JELED is a good choice for flashaholics looking to mod keychain lights.

See this thread for info on the LIR2032 Li-Ion coin cells: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=93125

ps56k

Enlightened
where can I get a couple of 5mm white LEDs to replace the blue LED I ordered in a couple of the photon X-micro's that I ordered ?