n size in minimags

lanterna

Newly Enlightened
did someone put 3 n bats in a minimag? i found some 9 v bipin and i yhink i'll try it. some advice?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
N cells are 1.5v, not 3v so you're looking at 4.5v max. My advice is to not waste your time.

Jon

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
lanterna,

StoneDog is quite right. N cells are 1.5V.

However, 3 Ns would make a nice powersource for an LED
smile.gif

Some folks here use 2 'N's and 1AAA so that you don't need a spacer (3 N cells are too short, so you need a spacer to fill the gap in the battery tube and close the circuit).

lanterna

Newly Enlightened
hotfoot and stonedog,
in the varta and panasonic sites cr2 are 3 v?are we talking about different bats?

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
lanterna, your initial post and thread title all state 'n' cell. n cells are not lithium 3V CR2s - they are 1.5V alkalines. perhaps you got mixed up?

lanterna

Newly Enlightened
i'm sorry,hotfoot. i was wrong.but cr2's are smaller and narrower than a 123 and i think will fit in the minimag tube. what do you think?

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
no worries, lanterna
smile.gif

unfortunately, i doubt the CR2s can fit in an AA tube like the minimags.

according to the energizer website, AAs max out at 14.5mm diameter, whilst the CR2s are fatter at 15.6mm. it *might* be possible, but you may have to strip off the CR2s outer jacket (not advisable)...

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a Minimag, I like to use 2/3 AA NiMh batteries. The quick easy way to get a set is to drop by Fry's and check out the Rayovac NiMh cordless phone battery replacements. I picked up a pack that has 3 of the batteries for $5.99

While $2 a piece is probably more than you could find them for on the Internet, it IS a quick way to get some to try out.

After dissassembling the pack, I wrapped the batteries in clear packing tape to insolate them. The 3 batteries were also slightly shorter than 2 AA's, so I used some CW2400 to attach some metal "buttons" to make them fit perfectly. While they are only 600MaH, I've found them to be just fine for an EDC minimag w/Luxeon.

Wylie

Enlightened
Here's a mod I did using three N cells Lanterna.
icon14.gif

With the eight LEDs it is just as bright or brighter then the original light was. The battery life is pretty good too. I have done no run time tests because I'm cheap and don't have the time to wait for the light to die. I used two 1/4 watt 10 ohm resistor hooked up parallel to four leads and then soldered them together on the other end to make connection to the spring sticking out of the battery cylinder. The other connection is made by the solder ring on the inside of the head and the top of the battery cylinder. I used one of those fat Disneyland pens in the battery cylinder and it worked out real well. Inside the pen there is a 3/8" delrin fitting that has the spring from the pen soldered inside of it.
fceb2253.jpg

Latest posts