Best balance of lux and run time?

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
My several-year old 3C Streamlight isn't particularly bright, albeit with a long, long run time. I bought that several years ago so I'm confident I can do better where brightness is concerned (3w?). I'm not concerned with battery type -- just looking for a bright LED light for household use (not EDC) with a long run time.

While I'm sure this has been discussed before, running a search for "run time" in thread titles didn't come up with much. So, thanks in advance for any direction you can provide.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take it that 3C is fine with you size wise so...
The MagLED 3D has an insane runtime of 30 hours and does not cost a ton of money and really throws. If you are basically going to use a light indoors, the Mag might throw a bit too far for your use.
Do you want more of a flood beam for indoor use or more typical output and beam type? Do you want the loooong runtime for emergency use or so it is always ready to go without hassle?
The Fenix L2T is a 2AA light with a really long runtime on low and a high output setting when you need the extra punch. Elektrolumens also has some lights that run on C or D cells with high/low switches that are very bright and have very long runtimes.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
The 2 torches I have on standby for general house use are the Streamlight 4aa Propoly Lux and the UK 4AA eLED.

Both are inexpensive (by CPF standards), single stage, tough polymer, excellently regulated, waterproof Lux 1 lights.

UK eLED : 10+ hours runtime, plenty bright enough for general indoor use, but less than beautiful beam.

Propoly : 4+ hours runtime, very bright tight beam, excellent for outdoor use. There's a 3C version with even longer runtime.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kitchener: What kind of 3C do you have? Is it the one with 10 LEDs? It sounds like it, judging by your mention of low brightness and long runtime. Get a Luxeon module for the 3C, and you'll get a great boost in power. 3 C alks will yield about six hours of fully regulated light.

If you'd prefer runtime over the SLPPL3C's excellent throw, try something like an SMJLED in a 2D host. It's usefully bright (around twice the output of the Nite-Ize) with a huge runtime.

If you want both big output and long runtime, I'll second the Mag-LED. If you only use it for a few minutes at a time, it won't overheat and throttle itself down. Plus, the batteries will last a very long time.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
For household use, I actually recommend having at least 1-2 lightwave lights since they have decent output(just enough to navigate around or as general background light) and great for emergency prepareness. Though it is not comparable to lux output, the runtime with the 5mm leds are ultra long, and after a few weeks, the light still give enough light to navigate in total darkness.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
See if you can find a Dorcy 3D 1 watt. Plenty of spill indoors and will throw right beside a MagLED. You could just get a MagLED for close to the price of the Dorcy, but the Dorcy may get somewhat better runtime since it's a 1 watt Lux. But don't quote me on that.

If battery rattle bugs you though, skip the Dorcy and get the Mag.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kitchener said:
...not concerned with battery type -- just looking for a bright LED light for household use (not EDC) with a long run time...
The Elektrolumens Blaster-3P runs 24 hr to 50% brightness, still produces useful light for several days. Just $49: http://elektrolumens.com/Blaster-3P/BL-3P.html

For $90, the HDS B42 runs for 300 hr on low (0.3 lumens), plenty of light to walk around a dark house or ready by. Small, compact, four brightness levels: http://www.lighthound.com/sales/hds_edc_basic_flashlights.htm

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
BentHeadTX said:
Do you want the loooong runtime for emergency use or so it is always ready to go without hassle?
Good question. For long-term power outages, my old SL 3C (10 LED) is serviceable enough, light-wise. It's more for the latter that I'd like a long run time (always ready to use without hassle) -- if whatever the "problem" is requires an extended time of use, I'll know I can pull the light back out of the drawer the next time and have a bright light.

I guess I'd say I'd like an LED household light that will out-shine my incan Surge, and with as long a run time as possible. Example of recent use: the power line leading to my house burned through its insulation and "blew up" one night during extended hot weather a month back, leading to a fireworks display and the power cutting out to the house. I was told there was even a little fireball. The first light I reached for was the Surge (it's brighter than my 5w Nuwai and of course much brighter than the SL 3C). A bright light was the order of the day because it turned out the LIVE power line was lying across my back yard, having burned through its attachment to my roof. Another recent use was a multi-hour, foggy, night-time walk on the beach with my kids.

I like the white, clean look of my LED lights, and thought it was high time I find a replacement for the Surge, but not something that runs down in an hour or two.

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
Am I asking too much looking for an LED light that will outshine the Surge and outlast it by some margin, run time-wise?

fishx65

Enlightened
I have to agree with the 3D Dorcy Luxeon mentioned above. I have two with very smooth beams and perfect tint. They out throw the pro-poly by a long shot and run for a looong time (30hrs +). I saw them on clearence at Lowes the other day for $23.00. I don't think there is a Lux that will even come close to your Surge in brightness but for durability of the bulb and runtime it's nice to have a big Lux around.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
M*gled 3D (or run it in a 3C for less runtime but more comfortable use) or the Dorcy 3D.

Though the spots may be TOO bright, the spill is QUITE usefull as a "low"...

But get something like a Rayovac Swivel Head 2D and put a SMJLED PR in it for INSANE runtime and USEFULL output!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
First generation KL1 on an E2e body, modified with S bin Lux I. It's small, and four+ hours make it a good all purpose light and also a good candidate for a BOB.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a proponent of rechargeable flashlights for around the house use.

I truly think that an Inova T4 is the last flashlight most non-enthusiasts will ever need to own. It's my goto flashlight around the house because it's rechargeable and I always put it back so it's always full charged and ready to go when I need it. I have everything at home from medicore imports to a 24W HID - but the T4 is the light I grab when the power failures or something goes bump in the night.

We sell hundreds of models of flashlights (from imports to Surefires) but for my home use - this is what I chose.

Link

Another interesting option is the Freeplay Jonta. A Luxeon I with built in NiMh batteries and a 24 hour runtime it comes with both an AC charger and a built-in crank for when there is no AC power to recharge it.

Link

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kitchener said:
...I'd like an LED household light that will out-shine my incan Surge, and with as long a run time as possible...I like the white, clean look of my LED lights, and thought it was high time I find a replacement for the Surge, but not something that runs down in an hour or two...Example of recent use: the power line leading to my house burned through...The first light I reached for was the Surge...Am I asking too much looking for an LED light that will outshine the Surge and outlast it by some margin, run time-wise?
Yes, that's asking for too much. LEDs aren't much more efficient than incandescents at high power.

The PT Surge is a very powerful incan. light, albeit with a brief 45 min. run time to 50% output. You can get an LED light that out-shines the Surge, but it would be special, such as the PT Shockwave, which is a dive light: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pt_sw_led.htm, or the Elektrolumens K2 Stunner, which is a semi-custom light: http://elektrolumens.com/K2-Stunner/K2-Stunner.html

The Striker-VG has output roughly approaching the Surge, but runtime isn't much better: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledlogic_strikervg.htm

For the scenario you mentioned, I'd suggest the K2 Stunner. It's by far the most powerful LED light you can get, plus has a low power setting for longer run time. It's expensive but less so than many Surefire lights.

Loomy

Enlightened
I use my U2 around the home -- sticking into an open computer case one day, running down a path the next, looking under a car body another day, and searching for the cat outside after that!

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
fishx65 said:
I don't think there is a Lux that will even come close to your Surge in brightness but for durability of the bulb and runtime it's nice to have a big Lux around.

That re-chargeable Inova looks like it might come close, tho. I'm surprised the new UK SL4 eLED doesn't have more output than 35-38 lumens, driven as it is by 4 C batteries...

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
SL 4AA or 3C LUX ain't at all shabby.

My 4AA LUX lets me see all that a Surefire P60 with fresh 123s does... and will be just as bright 4+ hours later. The SF will be dead in an hour, and not at starting brightness even then!

And my understanding is that the 3C will last even longer.

Any of the D cell lights from ElektroLumens have insane runtime! I have a 3D Starlux 1W that was a star the night of the shooting in Houston where I used to live. It was on the same batteries I got it with, and I think they are STILL in there.... (goes to check) Well there are 2009 marked Energizers in there, at 1.50V each.... and I only buy Rayovac Alks for a pretty long time now...

The only thing I can find to not like competely with EL lights is the use of optics. But they work pretty well!!!

Latest posts