New User

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
first Hello and welcome! second, say good bye to your cash flow :grin2:

I break it into a few of catagories:

5mm LED's:
photon and similar button cell lights:
+'s, very small, many are pretty bright for a 5mm light -'s, batt's drop off quick, not as tough and reliable as other KC
light's can be hard to find a battery(s) in "delieverance type" area's.

5mm 1XAAA aluminium lights:
+'s,super tough, easy to use twisty head action, bright like any well driven 5mm light, most have a boost and are regulated or semi regulated, giving a more constant level of light, can find a AAA anywhere, even rob one from a radio remote or other electronic device that takes AAA's. -'s, most popular (and thus better value) 1xAAA's are type -III anodized, well machined, and cost in the $30-40 range. but worth it. they'll last forever.
Look at Peak and ARC models.

Luxeon light's:
An LED that is much brighter in general then 5mm's.
+'s, bright bright bright! till recently most were too big for KC use but custom
modder's have inspired companies to make production lux's for the masses.
Peak, Fenix, jil lite all make lux light's small and light enough to hook on your keys.
-'s, Pt#1: "The light that burns brightest burns half as long" to quote an old saying. A lux will not go for as long at full brightness as a 5mm. -'s Pt#2:
There are many battery option's,: AAA, AA CR2 etc. you will need to do some CPF data base searching to decide what is the minimum and maximum runtime Vs brightness you want, the size and weight you can live with.
that should get you started. have fun here, cause you'll get "hooked". and it's sorta like "hotel California" you can check out any time you want,,, but you can never leave :naughty: ......... VDG

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you want a straightforward recommendation, possibly with a URL to go with it.

The Fenix P1. About $45 shipped (I think there's a special this month for a few dollars off, actually) from fenix-store.

This light is tough, tiny, very bright, and excellently regulated - you get a lot for your money. It uses a single CR123A lithium battery (get those from amondotech.com, batterystation.com, surefire.com, or elsewhere).

If you want a more incredibly super (i.e. costly) light, try the Custom/Mod subforum, or the Pierce M10 at www.piercelight.com.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Orb Raw NS. It's generally held to be the brightest light for it's size and with that size being smaller than your thumb it's ok on a keyring.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Orb Raw NS & Fenix P1 are great small lights, but for keychain carry, I prefer a thinner formfactor. Take a look at the Fenix L0P, it's a 1xAAA light with a Luxeon led, so runtime isn't all that great, but it is pretty darn bright for its size. Ofcourse theres also the option of buying one of the ultrafire brand fenix clones...