Flashlights with strobe function?

Rando

Enlightened
I'm looking for a flashlight with a strobe function. I know there have to be more than I'm aware of. Those that I know about are:

Gladius
StrikerVG
Jetbeam Jet-I MarkII
G&P M6

I'm looking for a disorienting strobe effect as opposed to a 'find me' slow flash. What other lights or aftermarket tail caps are out there? Approximate prices? Are there any boards (along the lines of nFlex) that have a strobe function?

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
HDS Ultimate 60 and 60 GT, although the rate is set for emergency signalling and is probably too slow for your purposes.

Last edited:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are intending this as a self defense light, any strobe will be ineffective unless it is in a package where the strobe can be delivered effectively. You need to be able to go from zero to full power strobe in nothing flat.

I can't see how it would be effective as a self-defense tool when you have to do any manipulations requiring any significant dexterity, nor can I see how any light would be a good choice in a self-defense role if it cannot be instantly used as an impact/pressure point weapon.

The Gladius works pretty well for that role, as flashlights go. Not sure about the others though. . .

Scott

P.S. My take on the Gladius strobe is that it is really only "disorienting" in the sense that it can be difficult for the "flashee" to orient himself to the movements of the "flasher." It might make you dizzy if you are drunk or something, but it won't affect anyone who is all ramped up for action; it just conceals the movements of the flashlight user. Obviously you need some sort of training to take advantage of the situation.

Last edited:

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Any lite with POP by Djpark. The latest being the 5watter modded by cgpeanut and my elektrolumens 5 watter modded by Djpark. The only 5watter with variable brightness and strobe and SOS and the kitchen sink...ooooops!!!

Last edited:

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
beezaur said:
P.S. My take on the Gladius strobe is that it is really only "disorienting" in the sense that it can be difficult for the "flashee" to orient himself to the movements of the "flasher." It might make you dizzy if you are drunk or something, but it won't affect anyone who is all ramped up for action; it just conceals the movements of the flashlight user. Obviously you need some sort of training to take advantage of the situation.

From where I'm sitting I'd guess that relative light levels and the focus of the beam would have a pretty huge effect on strobe results;

In full darkness a strobe is at it's best, it's the only light around. As ambient light increases your strobe needs to get MUCH brighter to have the same effect.

A light with a broad hotspot makes it much harder to pinpoint its source (the "wall of light" effect again!) and ought to therefore also enhance the effects of a strobe (and make it harder to avoid).

I'm with beezaur on doubting a strobes utility for self defence. Anything small enough for you to carry around all the time won't be bright enough to be that great if you have much in the way of ambient light. If it's pitch black you could probably do about as well flashing your light manually.

Just my 2p worth, there are many threads on this forum discussing the use of lights for self defence. I tend to agree with "the best defensive tool you have is sitting behind your eyes, not in your hands" whichever way you like to phrase it.

Don