duplicate lights?

LSlugger

Newly Enlightened
One of the fun things about flashlights is that there is such a variety: incandescent or LED, alkaline or lithium, primary or rechargeable, one or two cell, etc. Even within a single category, you have one or two stage, spot or flood, click or twist, etc. (to say nothing of aesthetics).

So far, I have made a conscious decision to mix it up, to get a sense of what's out there. Instead of getting another Inova X1, I'm thinking about the Gerber Infinity Ultra. Instead of getting another Dorcy Super 1 watt, I may get a Pelican M1. I wonder if there are any models that you have found so useful, or such a good value, that you own more than one.

Rando

Enlightened
Even though I have three full sized mag-lites (2 2Ds, 1 3D), I couldn't pass up a 4D at Fry's for $4.90. Not exactly a light I already own, but close enough. I do own two 4aa Energizer LED lanterns. They're useful and run forever on a set of batteries, but I use them both when camping.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
PT Attitude. Got them cheap used and they make a great backup. Small, AAA's and efficient for their uses.
Usually for me if I run across a good deal on something I already have and has worked out well for me I get it.
Have more than one SL Scorp as backups that I picked up used.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
2- Surefire U2, 2- Streamlight 2L 3W, 2- Streamlight TL-3 (1-incandescent & 1- LED). I am more like Noah's Ark :lolsign: I used to have 2- 7w Golstons.

Culhain

Enlightened
Inova X1: two, Gerber IU: two, AA MiniMag: four, AAA MiniMag: three, Mag 2C: two, Mag 2D: three.

As far as being useful or a good value, my duplicates were not accquired with that being a criteria. Most of my duplicate Mags were accquired because I needed an extra light at the time and was already familiar with the brand. My duplicate X1s and IUs are not really, in my mind, duplicates in that they are upgraded versions of prior models.

Now that some of my Mags are upgraded to different brands of LEDs, their performance and characteristics are changed enough that they are not any longer duplicates.

P.S. I think that I'm getting better at rationalizing my addiction. Is that a form of denial ?

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I tend to follow the diversity plan, but I did make an exception for the River Rock 2AAA. Got one of each color (black and silver) for me and two more for my wife and son.

Geoff

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually have 2 or more of almost all lights (and many other gadgets) I own. It's somehow comforting to know I have a replacement/backup available for something I'm using. The most of any light I have is the old model Dorcy 1AAAs which I think I have 7 of in various states of modification.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now the only light I have two of is the McLux PD.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tended to stay away from duplicates because having several lights with overlaping capabilities means I already have backups.
* I did consciously get a second Nuwai ALX2611 though. Three hours of good light (almost Q3 level) in a wide useful spot from a CR123 is great for the car. So I have one in the car and at home.
* I have three Inova X1's, but they are old type, new type, and old type modded.
* Two Inova X5's but one is blue LEDs in the car.
* I have three Minimags with three different LED upgrades. One was the Flaglite - I couldn't resist.
* I got two 2C Mags at the same time because they are kind of hard to find and I know someone in Germany was requesting one. But they didn't follow up, so now one has an LED in it and the other is my primary ROP.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
When Mrs Umbra and I find a light that we find perfect for a task we are likely to get spares.

If the light figures prominently in our emergency plans we may get more.

If a light fitting either of the above two catagories is discontinued or no longer manufactured the way we like them...look out.

Current redundencies:
  • (2) ARC AAA (white, turq)
  • (4) Nightcutter Sport (white, green, red)
  • (4) INOVA X1 (spot, white)
  • (5) Photon Freedom Covert (NV green, white)
  • (8) CMG Infinity (blue/green, green, blue, amber)
  • (2) Ultra-G
  • (4) Pak-Light (turq, white)
  • (2) Tektite Trek-2 (green, blue)

WNG

Enlightened
The most duplicates I have are Mag products, purchased before my LED enlightenment. They were the solid products to buy for the money.

(2) 3D Mag (black 80s originals) but one stolen from car.
(3) 2AA MiniMag (black old, and blue and purple new ones)
(3) 4D Mag (black original, and blue and black new version for $9.99 @ Lowes)

The MiniMags collect dust these days.
The 3D got a Lux-I drop-in mod and found new life.
Only one 4D is in use as a blunt force club for my girlfriend. She had a stalker that wouldn't leave her alone last year.

Trying to figure out what to do with the remaining 4D's. Probably LED mods or hotwire.

Only other duplicates in my collection are two of each River Rock 2C and 2AA projector style LED flashlights. Well made for the price. I love the build and form factor of the 2C, so I bought an extra as a mod candidate. Later, I found the moonbeam to be limited in use. But they were bought during Target's 50% off sale. So, no loss.

Not a true duplicate, but I have an actual Craftsman Endurable 3AAA Lux-I, and another body as host to a PR-SMJLED.

Oh yeah....
to add, I did grab extra River Rock 2AAA headlamps and peanut keychain lights when they were closeout priced at $3.74 and $1.48. (how can you not!) The headlamps are nice to have in each car, and the peanuts have been great gifts.

Last edited:

mikeymoto

Newly Enlightened
When I've found a torch I really like I will buy at least one more, as a rule. Just like when I go to Lowes for screws, bolts, or other attachments I always buy a few extra.

I want to be getting another U2, but since the second PD I just bought is Ti, I need to wait while I duplicate some bills in my wallet first. :laughing:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Lemme see...
- I have a "a couple" ;) minimags - good quality mod hosts, and lots of pre-made drop-ins.
- I have a *bunch* of CMG Infinities (and Inf. Ultras) for emergencies, and the occassional Lux mod
- I forgot to mention: I have 3 L1P's, and would buy more

Of the higher end lights, I'd buy another SF A2, and possibly an L1.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put two Fenix L2Ps in a drawer. I'm hoping to have 3 or 4 P1s after a bit, but I'm not sure how to tell a female Fenix from a male, so it may not work as planned.

The only twos I have are Minimags, but the LED drop-ins are different in each.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off the top of my head, the lights that I think I have multiples of are:

2 - 3D Mags (both LED)
3 - 2D Mags (1 LED, 2 6AA w/Xenon bulb)
4 - LEDBeam 3C
2 - 3C Mag (both LED)
4 - SL PP 4AA Lux
2 - SL PP 3C Lux
2 - SL PP 4AA 7 LED
2 - Dorcy Spyders
2 - SL 20 (pre-86)
2 - Pelican M6
2 - SL TL-2 (one black, one OD)
Mini Mags? Sorry, I have no clue as to how many of those are sitting around, but I'm sure there are at least 6 that have never had the package opened.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I have 2 SF M4's 2 SF M6's 3 Pila GL4's (2 old 1 new version) 5 G2's 2G2Z's
2 Z2's 2 LionHearts 8? Mini Mags 7 of which are modded. I think thats about it for "duplicates" (I think)
Topper :)

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
2 cars= 2 lights
I have bought a lot of two's because I liked the first ones.
2 Magchargers one 12 volt in car one 110 in house.
2 old minimags just because.
2 cheap 2 cell 123 China type because they are cheap and just leave around.
2 Superfire (cheap) with 12 volt lamp that take rechargeables. (got spare bulb)
2 Nuwai 032's because they handle rechargeables and are versitile.
Got several other one's because they didn't come cheap and only needed one, Surefire 951 on Bushmaster not 2, one HID 24 just to have, one Scorpion 500 to try out, one 4 cell 123 cheap copy.
Fenix LOP just one for pocket.
Fenix P1 to try.
China one cell 123 to try also.
Will be adding more I'm sure.
You people did this to me. Addicted now.
ZTS battery checker in route.