Best LED Shake lights

DELLED

Newly Enlightened
I've tried searching the forums but can't seem to find a good post about the best shake lights (maybe I'm not using the right search terms). I am getting these for my kids because (like their daddy) they love flashlights but they always leave them on and the batteries die out. I wanted to get something water proof so they can take them in the tub/pool. So when I saw the shake lights, I knew they would work best for the munchkins.

It seems like there are better ones than others and just trying to find what brands to stay away from and what websites to use(not use). These obviously don't have to be top of the line since they are just for my kids entertainment.

I want to get the small mini ones - not the larger type.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I like the Nightstar at $40 due to it's decent runtime for a relatively short shake period. If price is an issue, the $25 Diamond lights are a little bit lower quality but acceptable. The Diamond actuallly has a longer runtime on a single "charge" but it must be shaken for 90 seconds to reach full charge as opposed to the Nightstar's 30 sec. I find the Nightstar to be less tiring to actually use. These are the only 2 that I have found that are actually usable. Every other one I've seen I wouldn't even take for free.

josean

Newly Enlightened
I have this one very similar to the Dorcy dynamo , but made in China and sold on one package with no brand name. I bought for 9 euros (about 12USD) several months ago.

Apart from the dynamo, it has inside 3 button type NiMH batteries (the Dorcy has a lithium battery inside), labeled 80mAh each one.

I modified slightly the inner circuit because it had a very bad design. Now you can have about 20 - 30 minutes of light just spinning the crank about half a minute. Initial circuit design was very inefficient wasting power on unnecesary diodes (not LEDS).

I have two daughters aged 2 and 4, ant they like playing with that light. The only inconvenient is that the mechanism is too noisy, particularly to play with when already in bed.

Apart from that it can be a nice toy for children, but notice the children never to point towards their eyes the beam light!

Last edited: