Probably dumb HTML question

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay folks, time for the more knowledgeable of you out there to help me out here!

How on earth do I get a pound £ sign to appear correctly on a webpage. Or a degree symbol for that matter.

HTML is not something I'm good at working with in any detail (I can set up a page, a background, and pick fonts, but that's about it!), and I generally use Frontpage (It's simple, and does all I ask of it without arguing).

However, despite things looking fine in the preview window, £ signs are always appearing on my webpages as unknown symbols in an actual browser. This is not limited to my PC (which I was originally blaming!), and has been seen on no less than four machines now...so I'm sure it's not a local problem.

I've had a look at the HTML of a few other pages...and they've just for the symbol worked in the same as I have...so where am I going wrong? Do I need to declare it in the header or something like that?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The degree symbol (°) is not html. You can get it to appear in any document (even pure text) by holding down the ALT key, entering 0176 on the numeric keypay (far right side of your keyboard), then releasing the ALT key. For the £ sign you simply follow the same procedure except enter 0163 on the numeric keypad. You can make lots of other symbols appear by following the same procedure such as ¢, ¥, ©, ®, µ, ¼, ½, ¾.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
áŅĐ ïƒ ŶŎŲ ÃЯєлד ơņ ŧħε îñţĕŗŋęť
and you are on XP, you can click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map.

Just my 1⅞ ¢ worth.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
This has been a very informative thread. :goodjob: on the question and the answers.

® ¢<- Look what I can do now. :)

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
jtr1962 said:
The degree symbol (°) is not html. You can get it to appear in any document (even pure text) by holding down the ALT key, entering 0176 on the
I type in ALT-248 to get the ° symbol to appear. ALT-0176 works also; wonder what's going on here. :cornfused:

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks folks. The alt key combination was how I was getting them to appear in the document (well, the ° symbol anyway...just shift and 3 for £ as it's a British keyboard)- unfortunately the same wasn't appearing when the page was then viewed in a browser.

Hopefully that document with the codes will save me tearing any more of my hair out!...enough is falling out on its own without me helping it!