WANT TO MOD MY KL1 HEAD

big beam

Enlightened
I just purchased a KL1 (1st gen) head from a member.The beam is blueish in the center.I was thinking of changing the emitter and maybe the reflector.Any suggestions?I think I'll stay with the stock driver and a 1 watt LED.I like the loooong runtime.

THANKS DON

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
big beam said:
I just purchased a KL1 (1st gen) head from a member.The beam is blueish in the center.I was thinking of changing the emitter and maybe the reflector.Any suggestions?I think I'll stay with the stock driver and a 1 watt LED.I like the loooong runtime.

THANKS DON[/QUOTE

Give CM a PM with your thoughts. Your idea of a Lux I sounds good, particularly a SWOH, or other low vf S Lux I emiter. The S would probably be more efficient with the stock bias, than any T lux III.

Bill

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 KL1 heads purchased this year so I'm guessing they are gen 4 but I'm not
sure how to tell. I'd like to have a reflector mod done by someone on CPF. Who does
these mod's?

big beam

Enlightened
Bullzeyebill said:
big beam said:

THANKS DON[/QUOTE

Give CM a PM with your thoughts. Your idea of a Lux I sounds good, particularly a SWOH, or other low vf S Lux I emiter. The S would probably be more efficient with the stock bias, than any T lux III.

Bill

Thanks who is CM? do you mean MAC from Boston

These are gen 1 from grandpajack I think.

JanCPF

Enlightened
CM is Cris' username here in CPF, and he is the master KL1 modder, but I think he currently only does gen1-gen3 mods. The latest gen4 with TIR optics is a PITA to open up without marring the finish AFAIK.

Jan

ROK

Enlightened
big beam said:

THANKS DON

It's simple to mod an old KL1. I love this mod.
1. Open the bezel (lens cap only).
2. Replace the stock LED with a 1w S bin LED. (You can also use a star with 1 minute filing instead of stock heatsink.)
3. Replace the stock optic with a McR18.
4. Now you can see the great light. It will run abou 70 minutes with RCR123.
All process is easy for me. :naughty:

Cheers

Last edited: