Even With Lights On, Still Got Runover

CLHC

Flashaholic
http://enews.earthlink.net/article/str?guid=20060823/44ebd2c0_3421_1334520060823-584179844

The above news article states that a woman came home at midnight and turned into her driveway only to run over her husband who was sleeping. :ohgeez:

I wonder if the lights on her vehicle may be too dim or what, I don't know. Could possibly need better lights, or may not have been paying attention.

How many of you pay attention and see first what may be in your driveway when you turn in to park at dark even with great lights on?

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been driving for a little over four years, and I haven't even gotten a ticket yet. I credit that to my "classroom" driving instructor (on paper, not in a car). He had many helpful suggestions, the most striking (to me) being "360 degree awareness."

Our next-door neighbors have a wonderful dog (some sort of beagle mix - he's best friends with my Cavalier), but he's an explorer (his name is Chase, so I call him "Chasetopher Columbus" :laughing: ). He often hangs out in his garage, with the door open. If he sees anyone, he immediately wants to run to them to sniff and greet. Whenever I back out of or drive into my garage/driveway, I always make doubly sure he's not running loose, looking for someone to play with.

A few weeks ago, I was making a right turn, and the light was green for me. Some cars ahead of me went forward, and before I made the right, I looked both ways, just out of habit. It's a good thing I did, because a cyclist completely ran a red light and cut between me and the cars in front. If I had just gone through the green without looking, that dude would have been absolutely flattened.

360 degree awareness!

CLHC

Flashaholic
I agree with you on the 360° awareness situation when behind the wheel at all times. More like "cover your six" as they say!

One time in Monterey, I was coming out of a public garage and did look both ways. But as soon as I gased the car I hit a runner, driverside! :huh: She rolled over the hood/bonnet of my car and landed on the side walk, picked herself up and continued running, all the while saying "I'm sorry!" My heart was in my throat! Surreal looking at her roll over the hood/bonnet of the car. She was good looking though!

Never again!

Enjoy!

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I make a habit of not sleeping in driveways.

Seeing around corners at night when you make a sharp turn can be difficult, but I make the effort. The headlights don't do a very good job in this case.

After world war 2, there was a car called the Tucker produced in the US. It didn't last long. One innovation it had was the third headlight. It was in the middle and it turned when you turned the steering wheel.

tuckbig.jpg

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I remember seeing these cars up in Black Hawk California. Mr. Tucker was a man waaay ahead of his time to be sure. . .

Also, no sleeping in the drive way here. Sure don't want to get runover by a "student driver"!

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crazy. Obviously, there's more to the story.

I guess I almost did something similar. One of my cats is nearly 20 years old, and can only see about six inches in front of her. Once she was sleeping in the sun on the walkway next to my driveway. Hearing my Cummins powered Dodge approaching as I pulled into the driveway, and not being able to see where it was headed, she ran. Right in front of my left front wheel. I was going slow enough that I had time to stop, but it was a near thing.

:buddies:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diesel_Bomber said:

I guess I almost did something similar. One of my cats is nearly 20 years old, and can only see about six inches in front of her. Once she was sleeping in the sun on the walkway next to my driveway. Hearing my Cummins powered Dodge approaching as I pulled into the driveway, and not being able to see where it was headed, she ran. Right in front of my left front wheel. I was going slow enough that I had time to stop, but it was a near thing.

Whew!

Lucky kitty. Give her a tummy rub from me, will you?

On second thought, give all your cats an extra tummy rub!

Illum

Flashaholic
Diesel_Bomber said:

The cat deserves some retirement benefits...a cozy indoor bed [with sheets] and plenty of milk, aside from driveway emergencies...

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tigerhawk-

Thanks bud, will do!

Illum_the_nation-

I set her up with a cat bed and a litterbox ~5 years ago. There's a cat door for the cats to come and go as they please, and I much prefer that they go outside to do their busines. But as old as she is, it's quite a trek on stiff old joints, especially when it's 20 degrees F outside. She pretty much stays inside, parked in front of the woodstove in her kitty bed or on someone's lap, for six months of the year. She's a sweetie, and I take care of her as best I can.

Thanks guys.

Blazer

Enlightened
Moral of the story, "Don't get drunk and pass out in the middle of your driveway."

I don't fault the driver as much as I fault the guy who got drunk.

Reading the initial post I knew alcohol had to be involved. :drunk::shakehead

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee! As a fellow resident of the nation's 10th largest city, I thought you would have gotten used to the fact that there are some drivers in this area that can't pay attention to anything that is further away than the cell phone that must be surgically attached to their ears :)

CHC said:
How many of you pay attention and see first what may be in your driveway when you turn in to park at dark even with great lights on?

livetofall

Newly Enlightened
Cmon you know the real story, he was flat plastered at the bar, hittin on other women, then somehow he ended up in the driveway as she backed up the car.

Please dont tell me Im the only one who has women somewhat figured out:ohgeez:

Latest posts