Improvements on lemlux's 285 lumen 2C

Orcinus Orca

Newly Enlightened
Improvements on lemlux\'s 285 lumen 2C

My greatest thanks goes to lemlux and streamchucker for sharing this mod with me. For those of you new to this mod, the original version can be found by searching for "285 lumen 2C."

First, I must note that I have sucessfully substituted a #912 bipin adapter with untrimmed bipin #808 lamp for the suggested pre-potted #808 bulb with no aparent ramifications as of yet.

Secondly, I found that the filament was placed so far up into the reflector due to the bulb's increased size and length that optimum focus was unachievable. This left me with a narrowest focus of about midway between the widest and narrowest setting on the standard mag, accompanied by the unspeakable gaping hole in the center. In an attempt to remedy this, I applied 2 layers of satin scotch tape to the polycarbonate lense with the hope of at least removing the black hole. My efforts were to no avail. I am interested as to whether or not any of you have experienced similar results with this mod.

After a few minute's contemplation, I removed the foremost section of the bezel so that I could move the reflecter for and aft, thus narrowing the focus of the beam. I soon found that when the rim of the reflector was placed approximately 1/2 of an inch forward of its stock resting place, the beam was altered to a focus resembling that of my P-60. I then set out to find a way to securely fasten the reflector so that it remained at this focus. After trying several differant methods, to no avail, I discovered that the reflector could be placed directly against the lense and then by placing the o-ring aft of the reflector and tucking it in around the edges from the reflector's rear, it could be held intact.

Now, with the polycarbonate lense layered with scotch tape in place, proper focusing revealed a beam pattern equalling or surpassing that of my G2 with P-60. Careful to maintain proper focus, I spaced strips of masking tape around the exterior of the bezel, followed by several more layers of masking tape. Satisfied that the beam was still in proper focus, I applied a layer of electrical tape in order to improve aesthetics.

As it turns out, I now posess a flashlight rivaling the output of a SureFire M4, with so-so aesthetics, not-so-great waterproofness and durability, and the ultimate in lumen-per-dollar value. This combination perfectly satisfies my needs, however, as this light's sole application will be to blow away others in those "who's go the brightest flashlight competitions" that every flashaholic dreams of participating in.

Respectfully,
Dale

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: Improvements on lemlux\'s 285 lumen 2C

I just did finish putting 4 Lith 3V batts along with a Dewalt 9.6V .5A bulb. I needed Writeright to help the pitiful beam (a function of bulb rather than reflector because it had a great too tight beam with 2Cs and a Magnum Star Xenon).

Up against my TEC40 with Alkys and a KPR103...

The TEC is WHITER and BRIGHTER.

Against Pelican Stealth 4AA. Peli is Whiter.

So apparently this Dewalt bulb ain't the answer.

Monsters_Inc

Banned

Pics pics pics!
smile.gif
<looks at own Pewter 2C contemplating bulb mods>

Orcinus Orca

Newly Enlightened

I will be perfectly willing to post some pictures, as I just got a digital camera for Christmas last month. I am, however, unaware of the process for posting them. Any input would be appreciated.

Respectfully,
Dale

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by gstplanestoopid:
I will be perfectly willing to post some pictures, as I just got a digital camera for Christmas last month. I am, however, unaware of the process for posting them. Any input would be appreciated.

Respectfully,
Dale
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Firstly you need a host for your pictures.

If you don't have your own webspace, I would suggest using ImageStation

See B@rts guide to ImageStation

Once you have a host for your pictures, you just use UBB code in your post to add a link to the picture.

The code is:

* ImageStation displays pictures in three sizes:
</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thumbnail/Index</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Preview</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Full Size</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Please use the URL of the Preview (mid size) picture in your link.

If you encounter any problems, just ask
smile.gif

Orcinus Orca

Newly Enlightened

Thanks to x-ray, we have pictures. All tests were completed with fresh SureFire brand lithium batteries, with the exception of the Mag 3D.

First is the lineup. From left to right: Mag 3D, 285 lumen 2C, SureFire G2 with P-61 and Pyrex lense.
fcabe580.jpg

Next, is a beamshot of the three from approximately 3.5 feet from a cinderblock wall. Note: from left to right: 3D, G2, 2C.
fcabe57b.jpg

The next picture shows the 2C up against the G2 with P-61 from approximately 12 inches with the 2C on the right. (Believe me, the difference was much more noticeable in person.)
fcabe57a.jpg

The last picture is of the G2 with P-61 vs the 2C with the 2C on the right from about 8 feet.
fcabe578.jpg

As you can see, the contrast is most easily observed over longer distances, as exibited with the 8 foot shot as opposed to the 3.5 foot and 12 inch shots.

Respectfully,
Dale