SandboxIE for spyware/malware

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got turned on to a program that creates a virtual machine on your computer for programs to run through. As long as the program, like your browser or email client is running through the SandboxIE you are not at risk of contracting a virus or spyware type crap. The minute you close the sandboxIE or reboot your computer, you'll also remove anything that was done to your "virtual" sandboxed computer. Pretty kewl idea.

I'm still trying to get used to it because there are things that I do want such as adding new bookmarks or other new applications and programs from time to time and even PDF documents in Emails. But I'm not sure that I am actually getting them to keep for good since they are on the virtual sandboxIE. Still testing this part to see for myself.

There is also the fact that if you decide you like the program you just installed and then decide you want to actually install it on your real system, how will know know that you then didn't get the spyware etc anyway.

What do you guys think? Any comments, conjecture on these last two paragraphs?

Here's the link Sandboxie

Empath

Flashaholic
I've been using Sandboxie for quite some time, and strongly endorse it as a means of avoiding malware. It's interesting how it works. It can read any file on your machine, but it can't write to them. If there is any changes made to a file, it creates a copy of the file in a virtual drive. It then writes to the virtual drive.

At one time, on CPF, we encouraged people to post links to the sites, instead of directly executing links, in order for the users to determine for themselves whether they would permit a particular scripting file or whatever to execute. So many sites have gotten away from advising whether a link leads to an executing file, that it became impractical to do so. As a result, many links now posted directly execute or run scripts, movies and various things you never even realize when you click on them. It's a shame really, because exploiting vulnerabilities and plain old deceptive loading of undesirables is more prevalent than ever.

With Sandboxie, the links I find posted, particularly in the Cafe, I right click the link, get the URL, and then run IE sandboxed. When I finish, then I terminate Sandboxie's processes, and delete the contents of the sandbox. The nasties are thrown out like used cat litter.

Unlike some virtual machines, Sandboxie is pretty much available on the fly as it's needed. You can also copy any files from the virtual drive to your real drive, if there's something you want to keep.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run windows in a virtual machine. go to vmware.com, download the free player for linux, download the syllable example machine, then edit the config file to point to the xp cd image and reinstall the virtual machine.