modding a CR2 Ion?

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
I finally laid my hands on a CR2 Ion---my only CR2 based light. After playing with it for a night, I just can't resist the urge to mod it. Here are some ideas:

1) The XLamp-based light source and the nickel-plated conical reflector put out more of a flood than throw. However, for a small EDC light, I would like to see more throw. In this way the light is not limited to indoor/in tent use.

2) The setting of the two-stage switch is not where I wanted. I would prefer reducing both the high and low settings. Since the perceived brightness is proportional to the square root of the lux number, I can reduce the power consumption by half and only lose ~30% of the perceived brightness. Combined with a more focused beam, the actual brightness should hardly change. But the runtime will be extended to ~3h on high and almost two days on low. This level of long runtime is important for a small EDC light, because then you don't have to keep tracking the usage, and know there will be useful level of light available at any moment.

Now the tough part---

The construction of CR2 Ion bezel looks like two pieces screwed together with the help of some glue to keep them together. Has anybody tried and successfully opened up the two pieces without distorying the beautifully-finished parts? It is a fairly expensive light after all.

Does anybody know what converter IC is used in the CR2 Ion?

ArsMachina

Enlightened
Hi,

I also got my hands on some of Enrique's lights and I really love them!

But, as I already found some time ago with Charlie's LionCub, I thought the bezelopening of the CR2-ION also could be somewhat bigger to let some more photons out ;)

So I took the light on my lathe:

bezelopening.jpg

On the left side you can see an original Titanium ION, on the right side you can see a modded one.
I opened the bezel by 2 millimeters from 12.7mm to 14.7mm
I also changed the shape of the reflector by turning in a parabolic shape which was also polished.
I think you can see the difference by the reflection of the flash ;)
Sure I thought about installing a downturned MCR reflector, but unfortunately there is definitively not enough space to do so...

The result makes me very happy as there is definitively more throw but still enough flood as you need it for a keyring light.
Compared to the standard version the light became visibly brighter!
But I also have to say that after this mod there did not remain enough space for the o-ring in front of the glass.
As I do not use my keyring light while I am swimming or diving this does not bother me much :)

Yes, the bezel is made out of two parts, but it is not glued together, at least not at my lights.
Unscrewing the bezel is somewhat hard because of the very stiff o-ring inside.

Perhaps my mod helps you in your thoughts ;)

Jochen

Last edited:

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Very nice, i still want to replace the led with the new one from cree :)

As previously stated the 2 parts do come apart with little effort. If you would like to remove the pill first remove the retaining ring on the inside of head then push out the pill using something soft to push on the top of the led. Be gentle here :)

Note i tried to replace the led but so far my cheap soldering irons are not hot enough for the led replacement :(

ArsMachina

Enlightened
You want beamshots?
Here are beamshots ;)

Left is the original reflector, right is the opened reflector with parabolic shape.
First the beams:

beams.jpg

Low

low.jpg

High

high.jpg

The good thing is, that there is still a lot of flood (I would say even more than before), but now with a decent hotspot.
In combination with an XR-E this mod will make the ION to a bummer!

I hope you enjoy it :)

Jochen

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Led_Blind said:
Very nice, i still want to replace the led with the new one from cree :)

As previously stated the 2 parts do come apart with little effort. If you would like to remove the pill first remove the retaining ring on the inside of head then push out the pill using something soft to push on the top of the led. Be gentle here :)

Note i tried to replace the led but so far my cheap soldering irons are not hot enough for the led replacement :(

Please keep in mind that will absolutely void your manufacturer's warranty. :)

ArsMachina

Enlightened
Hi CY,

nice mod !!!
I tried to fit a downturned MCR20 but finally gave up - it was too tight...
Which reflector did you take, this looks really VERY good!

Jochen