Does "Tsst" work?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
On one episode of South Park, Cartman's mother calls in a variety of nannies from the television shows to try and overcome Eric's aggression. When all else failed, the Dog whisperer from National Geographic was called in and he continuously used his middle and index finger and lightly pinched Eric's neck while making a sound like "Tsst", saying it was an act of dominance among dogs and it worked quite well on children... The episode was hilarious... anyway, does it really work on dogs?

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
Too funny! I just had this conversation yesterday. Nothing works on my dogs except bribing them with food. My wife's uncle in Greece uses Tssst! with his dog over there. I don't think it worked, but then again no one listens to her uncle anyway.

Mad1

Enlightened
If it was on South Park I seriously doubt it mate. :laughing:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any sound that is repetitive can be used for training, anyone, or anything.
I think "tsst" is just an easy one to remember to do, and fast at the draw.
To answer your question, yes, it works well. I personally don't like the sound, perhaps for some Freudian reason, I trained my dog by snapping my fingers.
The other problem with using "tsst" as a training technique, is that if there are any people around you will immediately have their attention too. Try it in a mall, you'll see.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you just try that on its own, no, it won't do much.

The reason the "tsst" works is that is gets associated with the pinch -- remember Pavlov's dog and the ringing bell making the dog salivate? The "tsst" is like ringing the bell. The sound works with the action until it is associated with the action enough that the action is no longer needed. The pinch on the neck is the action and it simmulates a nip on the neck, which is what an "alpha dog" would do to one of the lesser dogs in the pack to keep them in line. Dogs react best to training when they are put into a more submissive situation.

The entire series is based on pack behavior, Pavlovian responses, and getting everyone in the house to be an "alpha dog" and to give the dog consistent training and commands. Guess which one is the biggest PITA?

VWTim

Enlightened
Becoming the alpha can be very difficult with some dogs. My Min Pin is great, he rarely pushes the limits, he knows his place. Now my (now ex-)girlfriends Yorkie whom I'm still watching has always been the alpha female. Just like most women she has her days. When she gets really bad and will not listen to anything she gets placed on her back on the floor with me holding her down by her neck growling. I know it HAS to be hilarious, a 6'1" 250 guy essentually pinning and growling at a 10 lb. fluffy dog, but it works.

Dogs just need to know their place, then they work to please their "master" and also work off repetition.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's such a coincidence. my alpha female also has me submit by loosing a button and murmuring "tsst" ... (she has a slight lisp) but I understand. ...works for me.

Last edited: