Best Throw Lux LED light

xdanx

Enlightened
I know this is very similar to a recent thread but I am not satisfied with the reccomendations. I am looking for a top quality Lux III or Lux V light with the best throw. So far I have narrowed my search to the Surefire L6, Mcgizmo 27LT, and HD45. After being dissapointed with my A2 I need an outdoor light that is not an Incan. There is no price limitation, I want this to be my final outdoor light. So at least $140, and uses primaries.

Any advise or beamshots would be apreciated.

Last edited:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you looking for strictly a best throw LED light, or something that has both throw and high output? With current LED technology, it's difficult to get both. Luxeon V lights such as the Surefire L5/L6 have high output but only moderate throw, due to the large die size. The best-throwing LED lights use a Luxeon III and are limited to about 60 lumens of beam output.

The best combination that I've seen was an HD45 w/ Luxeon V that someone brought to this summer's Bay area flashaholic get-together. I also have a modified Mag 2C that's equipped with a heatsinked Lux V and carries 3 123A cells. But even that light isn't a super thrower; its beam center intensity is about equal to the Aleph1 or Pelican 2390.

LED Cool

Enlightened
try the streamlight 4AA Luxeon. it is only a 1w, but due to its large and deep reflector, has a throw that beat most 3w LED lights. runtime is 5 - 6 hours on NimH (2700mAh)

i have a few and it out throw my pelican 3W LED M2370 (3 cells).

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...I hadn't noticed that. Ooops. Even with cr123, not much better than an Incan. With AA, dims fast.

Have you looked at the 2390? It's got great throw, good overall output and looks well built for outdoor use.

xdanx

Enlightened
The 2390 and Streamlight also look great but the overall output is a little to low for me. I need about 60+ Lumens. The HD45 has been added to my list of considerations.

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
xdanx said:
I need about 60+ Lumens.

You are looking for the "Best Throw Lux LED light" and you needs about only 60+ Lumens?

Since there is no price limitation there is no other way to get the Best Throw Lux LED light, a Custom light.:)

Try to get one like this with 4x27mm reflectors and 4xUxxJ Leds. So you will have about 400 Lumens and the best throw with a good runtime:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=117418

Best regards

_____
Tom

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the SL TT 2L 3W Lux (not the hybrid led/incan). It has great throw, and output should be more in line with what you're looking for.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
xdanx - If you want 60+ lumens, throw and runtime you'll have to look at bigger lights than the 2 CR123A 3W's that dominate the market. Got an old 3C/D Mag around? Throw in a TerraLUX TLE-DB3 and for $25 you can have a 60+ L light with massive throw and runtime for $25. LINK

asdalton - your modified mag doesn't have great throw because of the Lux V - those multi die LED's just don't throw like a single die LED does. I'd bet a Lux 3 will out throw it and put out nearly as much light if slightly overdriven.

xdanx

Enlightened
Thanks Mattk, but if my buddies saw me with a MagLite, they would all point and laugh (bunch of Surefire fans). :shakehead

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
xdanx said:
Thanks Mattk, but if my buddies saw me with a MagLite, they would all point and laugh (bunch of Surefire fans). :shakehead

That comment makes no sense to me.............They pull out there $250 surefires then you pull out your $35(cheapest option) Mag and it makes their Surefires look like Dorcy 1 watters......who would be laughing?

If you want a custom mag I'm making a batch of 1D size with new K2's driven hard at 1+ amps with a 100 milliamp low (Dual stage)

Similar to these

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=130190

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=126780

Mac

xdanx

Enlightened
Well if I had one of those cool mag85's or whatever, that would be a different story. But everyone is carrying C3's, M2's, and M6's. So it would have to be a pretty damn impressive magmod to avoid that situation. Also, this would mostly be a camping light so rechargeables are not that appealing.

PS: nice job on the first link. That is my favorite Mag Mod I have seen. :goodjob:

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
xdanx said:
Well if I had one of those cool mag85's or whatever, that would be a different story. But everyone is carrying C3's, M2's, and M6's. So it would have to be a pretty damn impressive magmod to avoid that situation. Also, this would mostly be a camping light so rechargeables are not that appealing.

PS: nice job on the first link. That is my favorite Mag Mod I have seen. :goodjob:

You mean like this

PKEFSHOOTOUT009.jpg

PKEFSHOOTOUT015.jpg

Another option is Dons great 27LT

PKEFSHOOTOUT010.jpg

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just put this one together. It's a real throw monster. C size Maglite chopped to 1C size, 18650 li-ion battery, Mag 3w, current regulated, drop in bulb replacement ($18 at Wal-mart).

Eric S

Newly Enlightened
asdalton - your modified mag doesn't have great throw because of the Lux V - those multi die LED's just don't throw like a single die LED does. I'd bet a Lux 3 will out throw it and put out nearly as much light if slightly overdriven

My space needle II throws farther than both my mag leds. I don`t know what bin it is but it beats my pt surge also in throw and output. Maybe around 170 to 200 lumens

If their was a 6/7w hid this would be it!

Eric

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
But the MAG LED's many here seem to be drooling over suck - check out a TerraLUX TLE-DB3 which even in their old 'Diamond' version tested by FLR out throws the Mag Led and doesn't suffer from heat stroke after 20 minutes.

I also have to agree with cmacclel, I think it would be funny if the mag spanked the Surefires (oops did I just say that?)

If you want to be the lumen king I have an obvious answer - AE Powerlight PL24 or Pl24 Shorty. With the standard batteries the regular PL24 has a 2 hour runtime and the shorty has an hour. Buy the upgraded batteries and gain an extra 10% or so runtime. Then you can crush even the M6. :)

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
But the MAG LED's many here seem to be drooling over suck - check out a TerraLUX TLE-DB3 which even in their old 'Diamond' version tested by FLR out throws the Mag Led and doesn't suffer from heat stroke after 20 minutes.

Unless you install a custom heatsink in a Mag body, any Luxeon replacement is going to have to contend with the poor transfer of heat away from the lamp holder. The new Mag Luxeon III drop-ins do this the correct way--they throttle back the current as the LED heats up. Otherwise, the output of the Luxeon would drop due to thermal overload, and the lifetime would be greatly shortened. By the way, the Diamond 3W drop in does the same thing.

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
xdanx said:
I know this is very similar to a recent thread but I am not satisfied with the reccomendations. I am looking for a top quality Lux III or Lux V light with the best throw. So far I have narrowed my search to the Surefire L6, Mcgizmo 27LT, and HD45. After being dissapointed with my A2 I need an outdoor light that is not an Incan. There is no price limitation, I want this to be my final outdoor light. So at least $140, and uses primaries.

Any advise or beamshots would be apreciated.

Checking out the Flashlight Reviews you will see that the Led Logic Striker is pretty much on top - but the light is not small and its hard to use. Personally, I would go for a Blackhawk Gladius. It throws very well and is easier to use with more modes, it's smaller, and has a great low power beam mode that lasts for up to 400 hours.

Thehappyman

Latest posts