Prometheus        
Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: UBH RUN II ANNOUNCEMENT - update 07/05/2003

Default UBH RUN II ANNOUNCEMENT - update 07/05/2003

Here is my plan:

I am now offering a second run of these UBHs. I am having these turned on a CNC machine locally, so that they all turn out well, and so that the delivery time is cut way down. I will have these anodized, unless you specifically order them unanodized. The anodizing is hard anodize, type 3 (HA3), and is offered in natural colour only. This matches well with your Arc-LS and your Surefire HA models.

Here is a recap for those who missed out on the first run:

The UBH (Universal Battery Holder) is an adapter that will take any of the Arc-LS, SF E1x, E2x or KL1 bezels. All have the same threads, so the head end is threaded to fit them. Into this UBH, you can fit any of the following battery combinations: 1AA, 2AA, 1A, 2A, or 1, 2, or 3 CR123s. What you use will depend on the type of head you want to run. This unit lets you run your E1x, KL1, or Arc-LS heads with cheap AA batteries! The tailcap switch (TCS) is the one from your SF E-series light.

The main offering will be in aluminum, as I said above, and the standard finish will be HA3. I will offer brass units as well, for a seperate price. These will have to be custom made, as I only have a quote for the aluminum units.

The spacers consist of a 1AA spacer, a 1x123 spacer, and a 2x123 spacer. This set allows the full range of battery options. Included with the basic kit is a tube adapter to go from the 123 to the AA diameter, and a small spacer to push the batteries up enough to use the Arc-LS head. A full kit consists of the basic unit, plus all spacers, plus the anodizing.

Pictures and the details on pricing can be seen on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here.

****UPDATE****: Just a reminder that I will only be accepting orders until Thursday, February 20th, at 10pm EST. On Friday the 21st, I will give the final numbers to the CNC shop. Please have your orders in by Thursday evening to get in on this round of the UBH offerings.

Default Re: UBH RUN II ANNOUNCEMENT - 2 days left!!!

Doug, once again, I'd like 2-full units from this 2nd run.

OK, Nascar, please send Paypal for confirmation of your order.

Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

How much will these be? It sounds very tempting.

lessing, if you click on the link on my post above, you will go to the BST forum thread where the price list is posted, and if you have any further questions, post here and I'll answer them.

DSpeck, what is the advantage of brass? Is it thougher? Harder? More durable? I think brass has poorer heat dissipating qualities than aluminium (copper has better but not brass if I'm correct) so is there any compelling reason for brass?

Thanks,
    Mo

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator Roy's Avatar

IMHO it looks COOL! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    Also, for what it cost (total), some heft to the flashlight makes me think I've got my moneys worth! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mo, some people just like brass better. It has no coating, so if it gets scratched, just polish it up. It is very good around salt water, I believe (resistant to corrosion). It has as good or better electrical conductivity than aluminum. It's also pretty. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

OTOH, it's way heavier than aluminum is, and that can be a problem for some people who want light stuff for EDC. It's also much more expensive than aluminum per volume. I am not sure of the relative toughness or hardness. The surface hardness of the HA'd aluminum is MUCH higher than the brass, of course.

Basically, it's your choice. The aluminum is likely better for EDC, I think.

Flashaholic

If I'm reading everything right here, the UBH will be able to handle the upcoming Surefire KL4 5W head. Whoopeeee!!!!!

BTTT with new info on first post.

Doug,
    Can you specify a cut off deadline date for UBH II orders so people know when they need to order by? Thanks.
    George

George, please have a look at the first post in this thread. I have updated it with the cutoff date (next Thursday, the 20th).

Flashaholic*

Doug:

Even though I have a full brass kit, I'm not absolutely certain how many $3 spacers could be subtracted from the $55 HA full kit price.

Would this be $12 = 4 * $3?
    (a.) A OD & AA ID tube
    (b.) ARC spacer
    (c.) 2 * CR123 Spacer
    (d.) 1 * CR123 Spacer

Would this make unaccompanied HAIII tube pricing:
    1 for $43
    2 for $81
    3 for $114?

Thanks for the clarification.

Lemlux, actually there are 3 spacers to subtract if you don't want them. The Arc Button and the AA adapter tube are a part of the basic kit.

The 3 spacers are 1AA, 1x123, and 2x123. I edited the post in the B/S/T forum to clarify the number of spacers.

Your totals would be 1@$46.00, 2@$87.00, or 3@$123.00 for the basic UBH kits in HA.

Flashaholic*

BTTT

Doug,
    Just sent paypal for another UBH alumunium HA run 2 without the spacers. Folks from the Shot Show here in Orlando and CPF members were impressed by your handiwork on my brass UBH I showed them. I had it attached with a SF button, C adapter mod and a SF Z32 bezel with a P91 lamp for 200 lumens of output. Even PK at SF held it and seemed to capture his interest. There is a photo at Show shot of me shining "E3C" (UBH brass) illuminating the ARC Flashlight banner with 200 lumens. See ARC flashlight category @SHOTSHOW topic pg 2 half way down. Thanks again.
    George

Enlightened

Hopefully not too late....paypal sent.

Thanks,
    Paul

George, thanks for showing folks the UBH! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm glad they could have a look at it. I saw the picture on the Arc thread - very nice! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I'm flattered that it interested PK... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Status update:

The ordering process for the UBH is closed now. I have confirmed final numbers with the machine shop. I ordered a couple of extras, and I will offer any spares for sale when I have shipped all of the pre-ordered ones. The spares will all be HA. I may have one or 2 brass ones extra as well. Anyway, I'll let folks know when they are available.

Next thing is: see my new thread for additonal adapters! E2C, anyone? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Update on the UBH run II -

I was at the CNC shop for over 2 hours today, making tweaks to the design, and ensuring the bugs are ironed out of this run. You guys are gonna love 'em! There is a little extra room in the body, so no squashed batteries, the thread length of the tailcap is longer to eliminate that trouble, the head end is working well, knurling is looking fine. So far, so good.

The only thing is that the shop got a big rush order, so they won't begin on my stuff until mid to late next week. That pushes back the shipping date of the UBHs and the E2Cs a bit. My new target date is mid-April, it looks like. This time, it's out of my hands. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I am pleased with their quality and price, so we'll just have to wait a little bit longer to have the best... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It'll be worth it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You know we appreciate the update!

it is alway better to wait for the best than to grab what you can hold in your hands right now ...
    bernhard

Flashaholic
    Frozen in Liquid Carbonite somewhere in Illinois

No problem! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd rather wait and get a premium quality product than a rushed product with flaws. Im sure these will be awsome once they're ready.

Thanks for the update.

Is there a short version for only AA and 123 batteries?

The standard version works with 2 AAs or up to 3 123s. The 4AA version is special-order only. I will have extra UBHs from this run, and will be posting them for sale when I know how many extras I have available.

Flashaholic*

Doug, anything new to update? Thanks

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
    DSpeck said:
    Update on the UBH run II -

I was at the CNC shop for over 2 hours today, making tweaks to the design, and ensuring the bugs are ironed out of this run. You guys are gonna love 'em! There is a little extra room in the body, so no squashed batteries, the thread length of the tailcap is longer to eliminate that trouble, the head end is working well, knurling is looking fine. So far, so good.

The only thing is that the shop got a big rush order, so they won't begin on my stuff until mid to late next week. That pushes back the shipping date of the UBHs and the E2Cs a bit. My new target date is mid-April, it looks like. This time, it's out of my hands. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I am pleased with their quality and price, so we'll just have to wait a little bit longer to have the best... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It'll be worth it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

mid-april! *gack* there goes my camping trip geeking [1]. on the other hand,
    i'll have a nice quality product when it shows up. surefire finally shipped
    my tailcap switch (something i'm very surprised by; i have several reports
    of vendors not being shipped ANY product from them in sometime).

[1] i guess i'll *sniff* just have to suffer with some other fabulous
    flashlight or five :> i just like field testing them [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I spoke to the CNC shop today, and they said they will be able to get to my jobs on Thursday, or Friday at the latest. It will be a couple of days to complete that, so I won't be getting the orders until about next Tuesday afternoon or so, it looks like. After that, it's masking, then off to the anodizers for a couple of weeks. Shipping will happen shortly after I get the parts back from the anodizers. Argh! Looks like late April for sure. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The delays are out of my hands at this point, I'm afraid... However, you can rest assured I will be providing you with a high-quality product, which won't have the same fitting issues that plagued some of the first-run units. I'll be making sure the masking for the anodizing is done correctly, and I've already approved the prototypes of the CNC parts (nice job, too... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). Keep your spirits up - things are proceding well (albeit slower than we'd like!). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the updates!! Can't wait!

Enlightened

Sounds fine, Doug. Gives me time to figure out whether I really want to use the UBH/E2C with a KL3, or a KT2, or a Z44/P91 or.....what. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast