Has anyone tried a 20W Edipower LED yet ?

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also think due to the multiple chips inside it will be hard to make a thrower, unless you use a very big reflector. And it will be a very hard job to conduct all the heat away from such a small surface. I think the best way to use this LED is to underdrive it (so there is sufficient cooling, and efficacy raises) and make a good floodlight.

Last edited:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow... that thing needs water cooling or liquid nitrogen cooling?
and a reflector as big as 50cm diameter? and 1 m deep?

chanamasala

Enlightened
slarty bartfast said:
As per the thread title. There are some available on ebay now
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?viewItem&item=170014897964&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:AU:11
and am wondering if there is a V up/downconverter/current limiter board (eg similar to a Downboy etc) available that could handle the ~18V ~1.2A this beast requires.

Don't those new powertools come with 18v batteries? I wonder if they can deliver 1.2A. Grab one of those and tape a couple wires to the LED and off you go.(at your own risk)

Last edited:

slarty bartfast

Newly Enlightened
The 18V powertool battery idea sounds interesting , as does the idea of using one for a desklamp :). I just got the LED today....it is huge compared to the usual Luxeon star (33mm dia)...the actual emitter is about 12-13mm square. One good thing is that it is still a lot more compact and efficient than some other multi-driver emitters around. I've just ordered a small current limiting power supply that should be ok to drive this thing and am going to try to experiment with a few different types of reflectors for it.......hopefully also try to design a more compact DC-DC converter board for this LED. As Erasmus, MSI and chesterqw pointed out, it is doubtful anything I can can up with is going to be a thrower (except with maybe using optics or huge reflectors), but I didn't buy it to try to make a good thrower. It should, however, hopefully produce a decent wall of light. Unfortunately I have to go away on a course for a few weeks soon, but am hanging to experiment with this LED :)

slarty bartfast

Newly Enlightened
Just quickly tried this LED with no reflector, on an old amp heatsink, with 18V at ~1A for a few seconds.
It is easily the brightest LED I've ever seen by many factors !!!!!
I didn't look directly into it, but am still seeing stars as I type this. The amount of light this thing puts out from a ~1cm x 1cm array, for an LED, is astonishing !
If anyone is interested, I will try to take some photos over the next few days comparing it to a LuxV WXOS and a Lux3 UXOJ without reflectors. I only have a crappy old A70, so the photos won't be anywhere near the quality of most posted on here :ohgeez:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool! Seems a mag reflector could still focus some of it. And it might throw as far as a luxv, only with more light or wider spread, which would still be cool!!!

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
Future MegaMod?

I've seen 18V Battery Packs rated AT 1.2Amps.

Thats capacity. 1 Hour run time, plenty for such a beast.

Take one of those 18V Work lights and start moddin' (Add a Heatsink a REALLY BIG HEATSINK.)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about your forehead work as a good heatsink for use as a headlamp on a cold winter day I wonder?

slarty: got a spare mag reflector (c/d) to cut down and test with the led? Or a comparison shot next to a luxeon to show the size of this led?

slarty bartfast

Newly Enlightened

IsaacHayes said:
What about your forehead work as a good heatsink for use as a headlamp on a cold winter day I wonder?

slarty: got a spare mag reflector (c/d) to cut down and test with the led? Or a comparison shot next to a luxeon to show the size of this led?

I don't have a mag reflector, but will try to get hold of some when I get back in a few weeks. I have read a lot of good things about them here and want to try maybe a medium stipple or smooth one.
I don't know about strapping one of these things to head, especially coming into spring, it gets very warm here
smile.gif
. I will definitely try to hunt down an 18V 1.2A battery pack, but am more inclined to try Li-ion batteries like some of the higher wattage HID's etc.
I will try to take some beamshots when I get back.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah image needs to be resized!! egads!!

I was just joking about using your head as a heatsink. It would be quite painfull!!! :)

Don't get a meduimstipple/etc just get a plain plastic stock one, since you'll have to cut the back off or sand it down to open the reflector opening enough to get it into focus. You'll have to go a little at a time until 1) the opening is big enough for the led surface, and 2) keep going past that until the reflector sits low enough that the led is in the right focal point for a tight beam. So you'll end up with a hole probably bigger than the size for the led to show through because you'll need to bring the reflector down closer at the right height...

I don't have any spare reflectors or I'd send you one. Usualy people sell the stock ones sometimes for cheap in BST.

Making a pedistal mount and cutting the star down seems like it would work as you can see where the pos/neg is at, but it's probably simpler just to mount it on a flat HS, and cut/sand the back of the reflector down a little at a time and keep checking focus and do it that way than have adjustable focus. Just take a little off at a time so you don't end up un-focusing it (you could re-shim it back up if you went a little over). The emitter area looks to be about 9x that of the LuxV, so even with a reflector it may still be a huge flood, but perhaps more controled, enough to be usefull in a flashlight or even lantern perhaps? Only way to is to mod a reflector and see. Im wondering if it would be even broader beam than a mag mod with multiple luxeons and 20mm reflectors? probably.

Another idea would be to take a parabolic reflector that is solid like a dish/bowl and fire the led at it from the front like pelicans recoil leds. I wonder if that would produce a tighter beam? I would think so....

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
To repeat myself. If a fresnel lens can throw an oil lamp flame 20 miles, a small one should be able to make a thrower out of an LED. They do *not* need a point source as a conventional lens or reflector does.

cgiammarco

Newly Enlightened
Hi.. I have no experience with flashlights, but I have put under counter lights and deck lights together out of Luxeon emitters or stars in series driven by a product named buckpuck and old DC power supplies..

I believe they work with up to 32v input or something near that, and they have a 350, a 700 and a 1000ma version.. They also have input for a pot to dim them.. Not going to fit in a mini mag, but should be no problem in a 18v tool light.. They also manufacture a boost model, butI I never tried one of those..

I think to output 18v you need a 20v or higher supply because the buckpuck has a voltage drop.. I found spec sheets on google last year.. Hope this helps..

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike: true, but a fresnel lens would probably have to be a big size and/or spaced far away from the led. But perhaps a small one would work well for a torch to get a realtively decent focus. I guess just a sheet and cut it to fit inside a flashlight bezel? Unless you own a company who can make a glass fresnel lens/etc custom stuff. Sort of like what that SF flaslight had with a fresenl TIR and 10w lumileds led. I think the 100watt lumileds one used something like that too.