What weird or funny things you do when alone?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bunch of quirky things I find myself doing when I'm by myself, including:

-When I shift through the gears from park to drive in my car, I catch myself chanting outloud "One-two-threeeeeee!" and hold the "eeee" as I drive off.
-I say profoundly rude and profane things in responce to the actors in TV and radio commercials.
-I sing songs and TV/radio jingles, but replace the all the words with either the words "baba-booey" or a curse word.
-If I can remember to do it, I try to say "rabbit-rabbit-rabbit" on the first morning of a new month, for good luck.
-I make anagrams of any phrase with more than 2 words(not nessecarily when alone).
-I hand fart constantly (http://qwiki.caltech.edu/wiki/Hand_Farting) and have a good range. I also make alot of mouth noises, which I now realise my dad used to do when I was a kid.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
So, what are your quirks?

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live alone and constantly catch myself talking to the TV or the cat. Usually it's just nonsence, I think it's just from not having talked to or heard anybody else for too long. I'm worse on my days off or when I take vacation.

Illum

Flashaholic
everything on the table becomes some type of percussion tool....and I talk to myself about current events...
if at night, turn out all the lights and try to clean a room using the aid of flashlights.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mostly talk to the cat, play with my collection of Star Trek phaser toys shooting invisible aliens when bored, and either whack myself in the head with my little flogger or press my Staples Easy button constantly when I have writers block.

citizenwithflogger.jpg

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try to read all the new posts on CPF and maybe do some soldering on an old light. Sometimes I research something that pops into my head like the time I spent hours researching "what's the best motor oil to use and why" and how Fusion Bombs work, how to grow tomatoes (failed at that one), balistics charts for common small arms rounds (foot pounds at 1000 yards). What the heck is going on with LOST (next season) and all the wierd stuff people are coming up with on the internet (hanso group and polar bears)? :grin2: I love the internet.

taiji

Enlightened
Growing up in the Philippines my friends and I used to catch spiders and have spider fights (spider duels) to the death. So now I sometimes catch spiders and put them in a tiny enclosed space and watch them do the national geographic thing.

Razor

Newly Enlightened
If my hands aren't occupied (ie watching TV), I often pull out my air soft pistol and sit there releasing and reinserting the magazine back and forth. It makes really satisfying clicking sounds.

When listening to music, I find myself really getting into the rythm of things and bob my head up and down and playing air-drums. I feel quite silly when I realize what I'm doing.

VWTim

Enlightened
I talk to myself and the dogs a lot when alone. If I'm sitting there watching TV I'll grab my BM Griptilian Trainer and flick it back and forth to work muscle memory.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehehe. I talk to the cats too. Never had them talk back, but they do give me some distinctly odd looks. When I'm alone and rocking out, I'll do the air guitar or air drum thing. Sometimes "sing" along. That's in quotes because I can't sing. At all. Not that I sing badly, I just can't. I've tried. Flowers wilt, mosquitos and flies fall out of the air(hehe, some good comes of it), small children burst into tears. Bad bad bad. Last one, surf CPF. Who spends hours looking at a forum about flashlights. Jeez, that's gotta be the oddest one. :)

:buddies:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing unusual here. I dress up like a clown, including the big red shoes, makeup and orange wig. Then I spank myself with a rusty cookie sheet while singing God Bless America.

cheers

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: What wierd or funny things you do when alone?

I've been known to talk to the cat: while petting it, I'll tell him "that's why they're called pets".
I also, on rare occasions, play "air-guitar" and "air-drums" while listening to music.

I want to say I sing in the shower, but I do not. Not even when I know I am and know with absolute, positive, 100% certainty that I will be alone for the immediate future. I have a singing voice that could peel paint, and knock dragonflies right out of the air.
roll2.gif

Sometimes, when I perform "The Smack Test" on a flashlight, I'll blast the Exciter song "Destructor" through earphones.

Last edited:

Chris201W

Enlightened
Sometimes when I'm driving an automatic, I pretend I'm in a standard. Like, I'll work and invisible clutch, and shift and invisible shifter. It's not quite the same as the real thing, though...

Taylorf

Enlightened
Razor said:
If my hands aren't occupied (ie watching TV), I often pull out my air soft pistol and sit there releasing and reinserting the magazine back and forth. It makes really satisfying clicking sounds.QUOTE]

If I have my arisoft gun with me I find myself doing the same thing because of the sound.

Chris201W

Enlightened
Just thought of another one. I compulsively drum my index and middle fingers on any surface I can find, alternating as quickly as I can. I really like the different sounds different surfaces make.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oo, have to jump on the air-drum/keyboard/bass wagon, too.
-I also try to remember the names of obscure actor/actresses,.
-Try to remember forgotten songs from the 3 or 4 riffs that I recall.
-Try to figure out if the half-remembered plot I'm thinking of was to a book or movie.
-Pulling out the stray longer eyebrow hairs.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
At times of extreme boredom, I just play around with my bb gun. Slam the magazine, do the HK slap, pretend to be a soldier or secret agent of some kind. I also try making one of those chain reaction trinkets like in those videos they have online. Never was successful at making a good one... I tend to whistle alot. What I find strange is that not many people I know whistle, at all...

Last edited: