Apple recalls 1.8 million batteries

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Re: Now, its Apple, recalling units.

yep, there has been a previous recall a few months back that was quietly announced, it's not a computer manufacturer issue, it's a battery vendor issue, believe me, nobody likes making fun of wintel machines more than me (it's so easy to do ;) ), but even *I*, a hardcore Mac fanatic and windows and gate$ hater can admit that this issue is endemic to more than just Dell, *ANY* computer vendor that used Sony cells in their batteries is at risk, doesn't matter if they're running the Mac OS, windows, or *nix

"poor sony", first their spyware/rootkitted CD issues, now defective batteries, i really feel sorry for them...... NOT!!

i'd imagine Sony's mindshare is dropping quite a bit with the general public, and technology-adept people especially.....

Mad1

Enlightened
Quite shocking (no pun intended)

I've got a friend who uses a Powerbook.

Sony is going to have a very big bill on their hands I hope they had good insurance. :D

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup, these are the same sony batteries. I imagine that Dell and Apple aren't the only ones that used them. Watch for more recalls from other manufacturers too. Sony is loosing a lot of mindshare here, I hope other companies are ready to steal their business.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
My 15" Powerbook battery was one of the recalled... just filled out the form - 4-6 weeks for the replacement battery to arrive. Wow! Talk about a long time for a serious issue.

I wish they would give an option to bring your recalled battery into an Apple store (not a privately owned Apple reseller, but the Apple brand store), and you could exchange it.

Well, I'll only have to go another 4-6 weeks with the thought that my computer could burn my house down :thumbsup:

DallasA

Enlightened
I saw the Dell recall in the local paper on the batteries. Now, I am concerned. I went on their online checklist of recalls and my battery was not one of them. However, I do notice that it does get quit warm and cannot hold a charge very well.

Is there another brand other then Sony or going through Dell that is compatible with Dell Latitude D600. If anyone knows I would greatly appreciate it! I hate to be sitting in class and the laptop starts on fire. I don't think my professor would like it either.

Thanks

MJ

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow... how many lights can i power from the dell's laptop batteries?
NONE!!!
they will explode.
but hey... they make great lapwarmers... just switch them off if you see flame, those aren't 3D screen savers.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
can you imagine the firework display sony could hold with all those millions of battery`s.

If they all were set of at one they would most likey change the earth`s orbit.

remember SPACE 1999.:lolsign:

regards.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
jch79 said:
My 15" Powerbook battery was one of the recalled... just filled out the form - 4-6 weeks for the replacement battery to arrive. Wow! Talk about a long time for a serious issue.

I wish they would give an option to bring your recalled battery into an Apple store (not a privately owned Apple reseller, but the Apple brand store), and you could exchange it.

Well, I'll only have to go another 4-6 weeks with the thought that my computer could burn my house down :thumbsup:

Or you could just use the laptop as a desktop IE with the battery removed.....

--neg

Latest posts