HDS vs. FF3

Doug

Enlightened
I have noticed that my HDS B42XRGT can use batteries that my other lights can not, I was wondering if the FF3 is as thrifty as the HDS? Also, does the Ultimates do an even better job of draining the batteries? Thanks!

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The FF3 is not a good one for this, as it only operates in "buck" mode. It can only throttle down the Li-Ions for lower modes, and will give practical light levels for a long time off of primaries. But a weak, dying primary would be pretty dissapointing in the FF3. The HDS has "boost" capability as well, and can suck the last bit from a primary cell. I am killing one in my B42 now, and while it can not stay locked on high any more, it runs fine in primary and of course the lower levels. I know of no reason why an Ultimate would do any better than a Basic model at this.

Hondo

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Basic 42 XRGT & U60 and it is amazing to me how long a battery can go in either light, I can't tell a difference! The FF3 is one light that I don't have and I plan on buying one later.

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
Just a few thoughts from an engineer who owns an HDS and has looked very carefully at an FF3:

1) All HDS models have buck-boost regulation, battery chemistry detection, Li-ion over-discharge protection, and thermal regulation. Electronically it's no contest. The FF3 isn't even close.
2) The very compact FF3 makes the HDS look big and clunky. However, you'll sacrifice full brightness when using primary 123's, and need to take special care to avoid over-discharge damage to your rechargeable 123's.
3) The HDS' larger reflector will throw a bit farther than the FF3.
4) Nobody, repeat nobody, beats Henry at HDS for superb customer support. I can't vouch for Doug Speck.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kind of stuck to the battery drain question posted, but due to the title, I guess it is appropriate to include some comments on the lights overall. I agree with LedSled's summary above. Owning both, however, I can vouch for the reason for the cult following of FF3 owners.

It is simply the smallest (usually by a wide margin) 123 light out there, and brighter than even the U60 HDS lights by most accounts. The Flupic controller not only gives three brightness levels, but allows user selection of the two lower brightnesses, and of course various strobing options and modes. It does require RCR123's to get full brightness, but you will be quite well lit, and for a long time, if you pop in a backup primary (looks like around 16 lumen max output from a primary). Ergonomically, if you don't like a twist head, the FF3 is not for you, and you will need a bigger light.

I do have two flavors of the B42 HDS, which I love, but they only travel in a belt sheath or coat pocket. My FF3 is very pocketable, and I really like it in the non-pocket body on a lanyard hanging in my pocket from my belt. It is waiting for it's titanium big brother to be built this fall. That would be the drawback to the FF3, though, it is a true custom done in batches by Doug Speck, and you have to get one during the build window.

Hondo