One for the Laydees....

dirobesh

Enlightened
I've got £100 ($189) to spend on a prezzie for my girlfriend - thing is, she likes to pour (polite) scorn on my "torch fetish" (her words), so I want to get her a torch that will actually make her realise I'm not THAT weird...

Has anyone been in a similar position and if so, could I ask what you bought. My problem is that any torch I would buy would be one that I fancied, not necessarily one that my better half would appreciate.

Guess I'm looking for a torch that will make her say "hey, NOW I understand why he wastes his money on these. " (Her words again *sigh* )

Please advise!!!

Cheers.

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
It's not just for the ladies, and I don't have one, but how about something from the Orb line? I have seen them referred to as "sexy" by many of their owners. I've also seen something called a CR2 Ion (I think) that 4sevens carries and that are available in several different colors/types. I don't have one of these either, but they came to mind.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Forget the lights, get her some earrings. :D

...although I have to say, I gave my wife a Soli when we were in college, and she kept it in her keychain until I replaced it with an ArcAAA a couple of years ago.

dirobesh

Enlightened
Funnily enough, the orb raw is the only one I've bought that she's shown any vague appreciation of.

I very much like your suggestion of the CR2 Ion - I hadn't thought of that - her favourite colour is red so I might go with that - cheers!

lightrod

Enlightened
Closest thing to a "jewel" IMO is the Orb Raw Ns. Get it with 3 pink trits.

dirobesh

Enlightened
You need some thing small (for their little purses) and bright--that also looks decent.

I'm torn between a torch with the instant "WOW" factor (RAW Ns) or something maybe more practical (long running time). I suppose she'd prefer the "WOW" factor more than practicality (this is not a sexist comment - it's just the way she is).

I guess it's going to be the RAW Ns unless anyone can suggest anything else before Tuesday (cut off time in case I have to order from the USA).

Cheers!

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
How about a nice modded pink minimag with luxeon drop in or maglite solitaire with arcmanias smjled drop in? and spend the rest on that pair of earrings... that way you get your point across AND get her something that she will like...

dirobesh

Enlightened
How about a nice modded pink minimag with luxeon drop in or maglite solitaire with arcmanias smjled drop in? and spend the rest on that pair of earrings... that way you get your point across AND get her something that she will like...

Many thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately she's heard me ranting on about how I feel maglites are overated - she might not like it if I bought her one...:eek:

Excellent idea about including the earrings - that way I could soften the blow if she doesn't appreciate my attempt to indoctrinate her into the way of the flashlight. Cheers!

dirobesh

Enlightened
I think the Raw NS with the 3 pink tritiums will definitely WOW her.
I think so too - I'll go for that option unless someome can suggest something else in the next few days.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Trust me, if she really needs a torch, she will ask you for one.

Jewellry is a better idea.

If you are truly set with giving her a torch, be sure that it is low maintenance (no rechargables, preferably Lithium primary cells). That may rule out the Raw NS which run on Li-Ion rechargables and therefore requires maintenance. The original Raw 1w uses a lithium primary cell, no maintenance required, and there is a bit of 'bling' to it.

There is nothing worse that finding that the batteries of your light are flat right when you need it. Most non-flashaholics don't spare torches a second thought until they need them.

There's my 2p, hope it's useful.

Last edited:

dirobesh

Enlightened
I think she's scared of mentioning torches to me! But seriously, I agree that jewelry would be better.

I guess I just want to try to make her see what I see in torches. The low maintenance suggestion is excellent - many thanks for that - I'll have to seriously reconsider if I can get her a RAW Ns as it clearly doesn't fit into that catergory. This is getting harder by the minute. :sigh:

greenLED

Flashaholic
LawLight said:
I think the Raw NS with the 3 pink tritiums will definitely WOW her.
OK, here's what you do, then:

Get the Raw NS, and put a set of earrings inside. That way, if she doesn't like the light you get to keep it. ;) She's happy with the earrings, you're happy with your new NS. ;) ...or something like that.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's for an anniversary, birthday, or other special occasion, go with something a little more ordinary (jewelery, flowers, etc.). A few days later, give her the light "just because you love her." If you gave the light as an anniversary/etc. gift, she might see it as you taking advantage of a gift opportunity to recruit her to flashaholism. She might not appreciate a sapphire necklace being replaced with a sapphire-coated lens :laughing: !

I would suggest two brightness levels for the light. Bright could be used for momentary purposes like finding dropped keys, or dim for office blackouts, flat tires and such.