Smooth Reflector Shootout - FM Deep VS M2 VS Mag STD

missionaryman

Enlightened
I recently acquired a Fivemega 2" Deep Reflector and I already had an M2 smooth and the STD plastic Maglite reflector. I had two test lights, one, a 2C LiIon ROP high and the other a 2C 3x123A with 6 cell numstar bulb and it was a fairly dark night so I though why not?

Here's the results but let me say that it is extremely difficult to capture throw differences with a camera - what is plainly obvious in reality is barely visible in the pics, I'll try some helpful commentary but you need to look real close.

The light in use is the ROP high, the tree is 80m away.
You can definately see a more pronounced hot spot with the FM deep reflector and the M2 stays true to it's claim of more light and more throw than the std mag reflector:
FMvsM2vsMAGtree80m.jpg

This tree is 10m away - ROP high
Can't see much here other than the different size hot spots, in reality the eye can't see the spot of the M2 too well because it's quite a messy beam, it's definately putting out more light than the std mag reflector - look at the back fence:
FMvsM2vsMAGtree10m.jpg

This a white wall to try and illustrate beam quality - ROP high
What's not too obvious is that the FM deep reflector at 10m has a bright full spot about 8" in diameter, the Mag reflector has a dithered spot about 15" and without the camera you can't find a spot in the M2 beam (centre) it also has the most batwing. For spill beam if you look under the house you will notice only the FM and to a lesser extent the M2 illuminate that far.
FMvsM2vsMAGrop.jpg

These indoor pics are with the ROP high and the purpose is to try and capture the beam shape by using the flash and auto settings as well as manual exposure - couldn't do both pics with the Mag reflector for fear of meltdown:
FMvsM2vsMAGroom.jpg

Lastly the 2c 3x123A on the white wall
The 800 less lumens help to exploit all the artefacts but this particular bulb was off centre:
FMvsM2vsMAG3x123A.jpg

Overall the FM deep reflector has such a useable perfect spot and definately has more visible light at further distances, it may not tecnically have more throw (though I think it does) but because the spot is so tight it is very distinguishable at long distances. It also has the added benefit of barely any artefacts and heaps of spill. The M2 reflector has more light and more throw that the Mag reflector but in smooth it is a bad combination with the ROP - way too many artefacts. I even did the fixed focus mod and tried to fine tune the position but I could not reduce the batwing or make a spot. I have used an M2 light stipple with the ROP with excellent results before.
If you wanted a smooth reflector with your ROP I would recommend the FM deep or the exact copy mag reflectors, I havent tested the normal FM reflectors or Litho's 1940 reflectors so can't comment on them.

I should add that this particular M2 may not have been up to scratch and modamag did offer a full refund on it. I have a light stipple M2 and it has wowed everyone who's seen it in action - like I said in the post the smooth M2 might not be a good match for the ROP and niether reflector is in the same league as the FM 2" deep. It's not really comparing apples with apples but interesting reading anyway.

Thanks for looking and hope this works as a helpful resource.

Last edited:

missionaryman

Enlightened
thanks - glad you found it useful.

The FM 2" smooth is an incredible accessory. It allows you a clean perfect beam without the use of throw reducing textured reflectors. It actually cleans up the beam and increses throw which is unheard of before this reflector was made. Great work Fivemega. It also has a lot of spill which slightly makes up for what it loses to a stippled reflector for flood.

It doesn't really add much in the way of length because it's spread over the front and becomes proportional. It is heavier but deal with heat a little better than the std head because of the extra metal.
I'm really glad I bought one, a good investment.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
very awesome

I have been playing with my recently purchased 2" bezel on my HAIII 2D ROP HI...

I was expecting it to have better throw... WHICH IT DOES... however, I was most impressed by what the 2" bezel does to the side spill/flood... it makes it really perfect...

I can't wait until more of these become availble...

aaaaaaa.... big shout out the FiveMEGA! :rock:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking:

hmmm

I'd like to get one of these 2" 5M reflectors so I can do some LUX readings and comparisons with the few M2 reflectors that I have.

Anyone have a link to the 5M?

Oh yes, very nice work on the beamshots. :)

ktronik

Enlightened
With all due respect to Missionaryman for taking the photo's which are all great...

BUT more than a few people feel " I was very disappointed in the performance of fm DEEP with the ROP High bulb, On the other hand, this same deep reflector in my MAG-85 works incredibly well - it has an intensely focused beam that will ignite newspaper ala USL!" (gchand)

I feel the same!!! You think it looks great w a ROP, which it does, but with a MAG85 it is to die for!!!!!

The FM deep is by far the best incress in punch & fill that I have ever seen for the MAG85!! Not just a small hotspot...

Everyone must make FM do another run!!

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many thanks for taking the time to make these beam shots and posting them, they are helpful :thumbsup:

I like the FM2 with the 1111 or 1274 better than the ROP HOL or 1185, the smaller filaments give less back scatter and a tighter beam and I like that :)

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

habibi

Newly Enlightened
Hi there!

I have installed the 2"deep reflector in my 2 d mag with w/a 1160, fm 6aa-to-2d holder and aw`s driver. It is by far my favorite light.....The reflector throws like a needle...Hope fivemega will make another run!!!!

missionaryman

Enlightened
The most frustrating thing about my MAG85 before I sold it was that I knew there was much more potential to it but I just could not focus that spot enough. Now that I have this reflector I think I have to build another MAG85 just to see 1300 lumens with a pencil beam.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I have 5 of these FM Deep reflectors, and it nearly totally eliminates all bulb artifacts with 1166, 1185, & 1331 WA bulbs. That alone in an SMO is an unbelieveable feat....then there is the tremendous hot spot. It is like magic, and not to be missed.