If you could carry only one: Flashlight or Knife?

Carry flashlight or knife?

• Total voters

Supernam

Enlightened
Just as the title says... IF you could only carry one or the other, which would it be? A folding knife, or a flashlight? All other variables aside.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would definitely have to be both. Fortunately, I've been able to carry both with absolutely no problems (haven't tried carrying them in airports, of course :) ). EDC lights and knives are lightweight as an unspoken requirement, so it's usually pretty easy to justify carrying them, given how frequently useful they are.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I can say is THANK GOD you had an option #3 :rock: :rock: :rock:

SCblur

Enlightened
I think my knife is more useful in my everyday tasks, whereas my lights are 75% fun, 25% useful. (Not to say that lights aren't useful, just that 75% of the time I use my lights, I'm doing it for fun, and could have got along without one.)

If I were made to choose, I'd have to say a light. Only because I enjoy them more. My knife is completely utilitarian. Touch choice though.

Last edited:

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Had I been asked this question a month ago, it would have been no contest! A least one knife accompanies me everywhere, and most times two. Now that I've been enlightened, I can't imaging leaving the house without my Arc AAA and my Fenix P1!

BigBaller

Enlightened
I'd go with the flashlight. They're both equally useful for general every day tasks but if a self defense or emergency situation were to arise I think a light would prove to be a more useful tool as it can deter any would be 2 or 4 legged predator without having to blindly engage the threat with a knife or trying to find your way around in the dark.. just a thought.

glennser

Newly Enlightened
Have to agree with Benchmade boy, I love my lights but the benchmade is first into my pocket.
Good question
Glennser

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight of knife? :sweat: This is so unfair! I hurt just thinking about carrying just one or the other. I sleep with both for crying out loud!
I guess I would choose my BenchFire.

dyyys1

Enlightened
There was a time when I would have said my knife, but now I think I would have to pick the flashlight, as I need it more often than I need my knife. Even so, you are cruel to ask the question.:mad:
rant.gif

Last edited:

Chris201W

Enlightened
For me, a flashlight is more a safety tool (not self-defense, but making sure I don't trip over anything, etc.), whereas a knife is more a convenience. I could forsee a situation in my daily life where having a knife instead of a light could cause injury, but not the other way around.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knife, 100% knife. I'm always cutting, prying, screwing (Swiss army knife), etc all day long. Flashlights are something I rarely need unless I go out after dark, or I'm working inside in the dark. If I think I need one I'll take a light, but I don't "carry" one.

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
:touche:
Location is what this is about. Will you leave the house all day end up at a party a flashlight is practical. Are you gonna go hunting, shooting, mall shopping, walk in that bad area of town then a knife would be practical. As for me since I work in a jail setting a strong flashlight is practical. That is why we are flashaholics " it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". We prepare for the worst possible situation because we are wise gentleman.
:candle:
Fred

smknman

Newly Enlightened
Not a folder, but if my clothes are on a have a knife on me, sometimes even without clothes :devil: I'm a bit of a bumkin so a knife comes in handy many times a day, can't work without one, can't buy flashlights if I don't work.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
My knife useage is high so I'd choose the knife. Fortunately, I'm not limited so I have both and often have 2 lights. :)

Mad1

Enlightened
For me its gotta be my Victorinox Scientist and Surefire L1

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
RA40 said:
My knife useage is high so I'd choose the knife. Fortunately, I'm not limited so I have both and often have 2 lights. :)
My knife usage is also high, as I flatten boxes, open boxes, unjam paper shredders, etc., but my flashlight usage isn't so high. I actually used my P1 today; since it's hanging from my key loop, I did a sort of "floor bounce" in a dark shed with doors that fall shut.

Now that I have a P1 in addition to my L2T, I always carry two lights as well as my knife.