Has the Fenix E1 replaced your Arc AAA?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the morning I'm going to take advantage of 4 seven's 10 percent off and get a L2T. I'm thinking of getting the E1 as well just because it's cheap but I really don't see it replacing my Arc AAA in the keychain and so wonder if despite the low price I'm throwing my money away on something I won't use much. Just wondering if any of you felt the same way but upon receiving an E1, replaced the Arc AAA on the keychain.

xdanx

Enlightened
Not for me! The E1 is slightly brighter but has a horrible beam. Also, the Arc P feels much better in terms of quality.

adimag

Newly Enlightened
I love my E1! It has replaced my arc AAA as my keychain edc and I also find myself carrying my edc basic 42 less since I got the E1. For me, it is the perfect amount of brightness, throw, and runtime. I only wish the nicha power led gave a smoother and white beam. But if you are used to the blue and less than perfect beam the AAA arc has, then the E1's beam won't bother you either. Actually, I find the beam of the E1 better than the AAA.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I have a Peak Matterhorn 1-LED on my keychain, which I feel is similar enough to an Arc for me to comment. No, my E1 didn't replace it because I like the smooth floody beam of the Peak. The E1 didn't replace the 3-LED Matterhorn I carry in my coin pocket either, because again I like the concentrated smooth beam of that Peak.
However, I do use the E1 alot around the house. Basically I wear it on a neck lanyard after I get home and take my carabiner with keys off. It's so easy to turn on and off, including momentary if you have it dialed just barely off. It saves the batteries in my Peak's for when I'm away from home.
It's also very lightweight and has good, regulated runtime. It's a fine light and I don't think you'll regret having one. I just ordered another one yesterday. This time in black.

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
We'll see tomorrow if my package from Fenix-store gets here. I currently have a stainless Peak Matterhorn as my keychain light. I almost feel the Peak is far too nice to be subjected to ruthless keychain abuse so I may put the peak on a paracord lanyard and hang it around my bedpost (this is how I have my Nite-Ize MM). I like the idea of greater output on the E1 since there's a good chance it'll be used outdoors if placed on keychain duty.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Arc AAA , I carry a Peak Pacific but want to get the AA tube. I also have a Fenix L0P, it was expensive compared to what they are now. get the E1!
you will not regret it. it may be replacing my ARC AAA P

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...yes and no. All my Arc`s died after 6 months or less of use. And all the one`s I gave as presents have failed too (all purchased before the company folded). I see no point to purchase any more Arc`s untill they change the design...to something more like the L0P~ E1`s. The Arc compresses the battery against the board to turn on...and over time causes the board to fail. The E1 has a different set up. Doesn`t smash the batt against the board. And I think it will prove to be way more dependable.

But that aside, I love the 3 hr regulated run time...and it seems pretty bright. I wish the rings weren`t there...but in actual use...good useable light. In it`s class...I think it`s number one, all things considered..

Ken

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
In pocket: 2AA side by side > Solitaire (3) > Dorcy AAA > TM-310H > L1P > Civictor > E1.
Main Keychain: UK 2AAA eLED.
Backup Keychain: 2x3016 keychain light.

Never got an Arc due to:
Hi price,
Long wait time,
SHIPPING BY COURIER. Hi shipping charges, hi customs brokerage charges, never seems to deliver when I'm home. USPS > Canada post just puts it in my mailbox or drops it off at the 'nearest' post office.

I may get a Peak Baltic AAA if it does not have the lumpy head of the Pacific and becomes available in Canada.

Last edited:

kurni

Enlightened
I hate the ring, but I love the throw. FlashlightPhreak suggested chapstick cap as a diffuser, and I did a little modification. It works well; E1 is with my keys in my pocket.

img011.jpg

Regards,
KK

mchlwise

Enlightened
YES.

My Arc AAA-P was my first "real" flashlight. I loved it, and in fact still do. It's a great emergency light with it's wide flood and excellent runtime.

Problem is... I'm not in emergencies very much. :ohgeez:

I lived through the Northridge Earthquake in 1994 in Los Angeles. My house was less than 10 miles from the epicenter. I know what it's like to have NO LIGHT whatsoever, (power was out in half the state that morning) and I have had some kind of light on my keychain ever since so I don't ever get caught without light again. The Arc is perfect for that kind of emergency, and will probably save your life if you're trapped in a collapsed building waiting to be rescued. :candle:

On a daily basis though, I seem to avoid being trapped in collapsed buildings in total darkness pretty well. I got the E1 to try it out and compare it to the Arc, and have found that it throws SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Arc. For me, the vast majority of little flashlight needs I run into on a daily basis require good throw much more than nice flood and long runtime.

Besides, the E1 on a Lithium runs for over 3 hours (as I recall, can't find the "documentation" on that right off hand).

:rock:

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
Got my E1 today. Quality seems nice. Beam is mediocre but should be fine in actual use. Much brighter than my Matterhorn but not as floody. I put it on my keychain. I'll have to give it awhile to see how I like it in use.

I do have a big concern about this light. The twistie action is very smooth, to the point of being almost too smooth. Has anyone had trouble with this light turning on or the head unscrewing while on your keychain and in your pocket?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer dry-touch sunblock...spf 55 on the threads and O rings...been working great. Stiffens up the movement after it dries up to a paste...use it on all my lights and not a single one had a broken O ring or suffered sunburn. Don`t tell anyone...it`s a secret.

Ken

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or, you could cut a narrow strip of Teflon tape wide enough to cover about 2 or 3 threads. That'll snug it up a bit.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
afultz075 said:
Got my E1 today. Quality seems nice. Beam is mediocre but should be fine in actual use. Much brighter than my Matterhorn but not as floody. I put it on my keychain. I'll have to give it awhile to see how I like it in use.

I do have a big concern about this light. The twistie action is very smooth, to the point of being almost too smooth. Has anyone had trouble with this light turning on or the head unscrewing while on your keychain and in your pocket?

Mine never has, even when being close enough to on to allow momentary by squeezing the bezel..

I'd love it to be whiter, but the led is supposed to be very effective compared to a normal luxeon... I have a TW0H waiting for it, but haven't felt a real urge to mod it yet;)

Sverre

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes.

The E1 is whiter, brighter and has killer regulation. Went on my keychain instead of an ARC AAA-P within 2 days.