Which lights are easy to change the Luxeon in?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see lots of really nice bin Luxeons for sale (SV1H,UXOJ), but I'm not really sure what lights people are putting these in. Of all my lights the only one that looks to be easily modable is my Taskforce 3AA, and it is far from a quality light. Please list all the lights that can be easily modded with a higher quality Luxeon. Thanks in advance. :)

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The easiest are any that use a Lux star that isn't glued down.
Ones I know of that qualify are:
Nuwai Q3 (probably most popular)
Nuwai TM301X-3/5 (Big Q3)
Nuwai TM115/116X
Amilite Neo (probably easiest because it's not glued together at all)
Headlight: Princeton Tec EOS

ginaz

Enlightened
the inova t1.... just kidding!

dorcy lights are pretty mod friendly. the golston 7watt, sam's element, hds. i have that taskforce light too and it is great. mine came with RY0J!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. :)

Is the Dorcy Super 1 Watt (CR123 cell version) one of the easy Dorcy's to change? I really want to mod a couple lights with an SV1H Luxeon so I am looking for mostly Lux 1 lights instead of 3.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
The Dorcy Super one watt is pretty easy to change however the heatsinking on this light is really not very well done....If I had a nicer emitter I would most likely not waste it on a light without good heat sinking such as this one.

The QIII makes a one watt version that is built the same as the 3 watter and it is also pretty easy to swap out. I have a few of the Golden Gadget lights in 1 watt and they are also pretty easy...I think the model numbers were something like S1801 or something like that.....it is the one cell and 2 cell versions that look similiar to the Inova X5.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefires are quite hard to unscrew the head without damaging. But once it's unscrewed, the emitter is easy to replace with a soldering iron. I've upgraded an L7 with WWOS lux V and an E2L with UXOJ luxIII. I've ended up with some minor sratches on both :ohgeez:but both are noticibly brighter and have better tint.