fenix p1 heat?

szki272

Newly Enlightened
How warm do these normally get? I havent used it but for short bursts maybe 30 seconds on minute off and another 30 on for several min (5 maybe a little more). I am using batterystation rcr-123a rechargables. The battery is staying at room temp. I can feel the housing getting warm wich seems strange concidering how little I am using it.

This is probably all normal, but with what I have been reading about the 123 cells and not wanting to mess up my new toy I figure better safe than sorry.

Ritch

Enlightened
The P1 gets pretty warm after some minutes, but even after a runtime of one hour you can hold it in your hand without burning your fingers.

richard

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the p1 gets warm. but hey, if it gets warm, that means the heasinking is doing some good :)

i would be worried if it wasn't getting warm.

are you using li ions that are protected? they are much safer. the circuit inside the protected cells will stop over draining or over charging

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P1 isn't really designed for li-ion rechargables, but it works. You have to keep an eye (or rather your hand) on the heat though. The P1 on regular lithium CR123As will get warm too, but only slightly so.

GrooveRite

Enlightened
What I'd like to know is if using RCR123's constantly in the P1, does it damage or cuase the regulation circuitry after awhile to not function properly. I am currently using primary bats in mine but was thinking of either rcr123 3.0v or 3.6v. I'm still a little unsure of which to get if I decide to use rechargeables.

Oh and mine does get warm with a Duracell primary after about 5 minutes of constantly on.

Last edited:

szki272

Newly Enlightened
chesterqw said:
the p1 gets warm. but hey, if it gets warm, that means the heasinking is doing some good :)

i would be worried if it wasn't getting warm.

are you using li ions that are protected? they are much safer. the circuit inside the protected cells will stop over draining or over charging

I think they are. They are from batterystation.com (they seemed highly recomended on this sight)

It says
The Batteries: The RCR-123A battery has proven to work best in single cell applications; especially single cell LED flashlights. This battery has a safety circuit which protects it against overloads, short circuits, etc. When used in series, the batteries sometimes will "open" or go to the fault condition as they think there is a problem. The more closely balanced or evenly charged they are, the easier it is to use them in series. Keep in mind that they are protected but not regulated, so you are dealing with a battery that will reach about 4.2V coming right off the charger if fully charged. This voltage can be harmful to incandescent lights. We do not recommend their use in incandescent flashlights due to the higher voltage of the battery.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think protection is overrated personally, but for someone fairly new to Li-ion it can't hurt.

My P1 gets very hot on Li-Ions, and fairly warm on a primary lithium. If you don't want to worry about heat too much get some 3v regulated cells.

Latest posts