Malkoff        

Thread: Testing for faulty ballast ?

Default Testing for faulty ballast ?

Does anyone know if there is a way to test the ballast on a Microfire K500 ? The light stopped working and I'm not sure if it is the bulb or ballast.
    Collins Dynamics CD-12, CD-12 Magnum, Microfire Warrior, Iluminator HID, Costco HID, ,Maxabeam, Polarian Helios, RayzorLite ,BarnBurner,and a bunch of small lights.

Default Re: Testing for faulty ballast ?

I do not believe there is an easy test to determine the condition of the ballast. Start at Page 28 of the document shown in the link:

http://www.advancetransformer.com/up...D%20ballast%22

If you find an easier method, please let me know since I also have a UK Light Cannon that needs a ballast or bulb. I don't want to buy a bulb if the ballast if bad. There is also a fuse somewhere in the ballast that is not intended to be user serviceable. If I can get the ballast casing open, I'll try that first.

Good Luck!

I do not believe there is an easy test to determine the condition of the ballast. Start at Page 28 of the document shown in the link:

http://www.advancetransformer.com/up...D%20ballast%22

If you find an easier method, please let me know since I also have a UK Light Cannon that needs a ballast or bulb. I don't want to buy a bulb if the ballast if bad. There is also a fuse somewhere in the ballast that is not intended to be user serviceable. If I can get the ballast casing open, I'll try that first.

Good Luck!

(Don't know why this got posted twice on one save)
    Last edited by nitekayak; 08-25-2006 at 03:33 PM.

I sent Ra a PM about the bulb and ballasts. He seems quite knowledgeable about the workings of HID lights.
    Collins Dynamics CD-12, CD-12 Magnum, Microfire Warrior, Iluminator HID, Costco HID, ,Maxabeam, Polarian Helios, RayzorLite ,BarnBurner,and a bunch of small lights.

Flashaholic*

If you know someone with a high voltage probe for a VOM or DMM, the ballast's output (or lack of) could be measured. If the initial strike voltage is less than 600v then a regular meter could be used.

I'm not sure if the electronic, regulating, ballast lends itself to measuring the output current. The method used for magnetic ballasts measures short-circuit current but I'm uncertain if that would affect, or damage, an electronic unit.

An oscilloscope would be ideal for electronic ballast testing as the output may be high frequency.

Perhaps one of our members with experience will chime in. I've only worked with commercial/industrial lighting, not the miniture arc tube lights.
    I'm absolutely certain that I need another flashlight.