flashlights as self-defence

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are 60,000 volts stun flashlights you could use, seen them on the net somewhere...

HTH
Alex

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do a search on Kubotan techniques, saw an excellent page somewhere but didn´t save the url.

HTH

Alex

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
to respond to a light as a defensive tool, i agree and cary an m2 plus a emerson cqc7 every where i go(almost). i venture out on bmx bikes around the city at night 4 or more nights a week(weather permiting) and feel kind better with both. at the very least you can run like hell after you blind the crap out of them, the knife is the last resort.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don`t know how good of a defense system it would really be if I ever had to actually use it, but in my jacket or outer coat pocket I carry a fully charged Surefire M3 with its high output lamp... 225 lumens.

I`m hoping that I`ll be able to either temporarily blind the bad guy, or at least confuse him long enough to get away. If all else fails, I`ll have the M3 in my fist as an impact weapon.

In proofreading this post, though, the lawful concealed carry of one of my firearms looks better and better to me. But we don`t have that right in Wisconsin...yet.

Still... I guess I could try to carry one of my M6`s!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe switchblades are illegal in all of the United States (somebody correct me if wrong) so if you actually had to use it and the law got involved, you could be in trouble. I personally believe in the "flight" as in the fight or flight syndrome so I would rather blind them with a powerful light and then run like hell.

Newly Enlightened
Switchblades are kind of illegal BUT- Kershaw Knife Company (made in U.S.A.) makes a knife named the Chive and another model called the Scallion (my favorite) that open with a press of the thumb stud without any other assistance. The blade flies out with a "snick" sound and locks in place!!!!!!WOW
PS - Scallion has a partial serrated edge, Chive does not.

Check out the posting under Knifes on this forum "Kershaw Chive"....

It is a must have knife, someday will probably be considered illegal. But now is still legal in all 50 states.

PS- Flashlights can be weapons - a heavy light (e.g. Mag-Lite or my favorite Streamlight - can both temporarily blind an attacker, and you can choose to knock the cr#p out of someone as well!!!!!!

james
shocked.gif

tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the legality of switchblades is a very complicated thing- They are legal in some states, "semi-legal" in other states, and very illegal on others.

Even in California (which is one of the toughest) a switchblade with a blade of 1-3/4 inches or less is LEGAL! But then you get into jurisdictions- Different cities and towns have local ordinances.

And transporting a switchblade across the border of two states can be illegal, even if carrying one is legal in both states!

It is a real "mish-mash", and I suppose the lawyers make some good money off of it.

Carry a "butterfly" or "balisong" type knife instead- With some practice they are as fast as a switchblade, and a good quality Balisong is stronger and more reliable than an equal quality switchblade, and a LITTLE less likely to get you in trouble with the police.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Switchblades pretty much fall into the same category as bayonet lugs and flash supressors on rifles; not much real reason to ban them and make them forbidden fruit. A Benchmade 710 Axis lock is just as fast opening and it can close just as quickly too, which a switchblade can't do. For quick utility uses, it's great, because it can be opened with one hand and also put away instantly with out needing the other hand so it's safer in that respect.

I'd like to see the Dazzler in operation, which is not a flashlight, but a laser with random beams that can be aimed at the attacker to blind and disorient them- if they can't see, they can't do much. Seems like it would work pretty well, since the guy would have to avert his eyes or risk not being able to see at all after getting dazzled. I don't see how it could introduce nausea and that type of effect though, which is one of the claims.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 007:

PS- Flashlights can be weapons - a heavy light (e.g. Mag-Lite or my favorite Streamlight - can both temporarily blind an attacker, and you can choose to knock the cr#p out of someone as well!!!!!!

james
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem with this is, depending on any type of training you have with impact weapons, and how you use it, this can very easily be looked upon as using deadly force. It's the result of the action and not just the intention. If you didn't mean to kill your attacker, but he died after you clubbed him in the head, then it's still lethal force. Shattering a bone could also very easily be looked at as excessive use of force. A small SureFire probably won't have this problem, and it would be better used as a Kubaton or Persuader, but a large Maglite, or Brinkman could. A cop who uses his baton or light (if allowed) is using non-lethal force (usually), if that stick or light is taken away by the criminal, then the cop would most likely be justified in shooting that person. Even with the E2 though, how do you intend to beat him while he's blind? Beat him about hte head and it could kill him. If he's blind, then he wasn't a threat. If he's armed then you should just toss your wallet, or a handfull of bills on the ground and run. Hopefully he'll be intent on collecting up the money that he won't chase after you.

For dogs the best thing would be a can of OC spray designed for animals. The only one that I'm aware of made specifically for dogs is "Canine" by Mace(R). The bear repellants should also work, but those are huge. There is also a device that emits a very high pitched noise, above the range of human hearing, that is supposed to keep dogs away. I have no idea how well they actually work though.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
i wont carry a gun and id rather not knife someone as i know that i have more of a chance of being hurt than my attacker (though i do carry a flick knife and sometimes a switchblade). i always have an e2 at my side fully charged and an arc aaa on a neck cord additional lights are added to this edc( no i dont edc my light cannon
rolleyes.gif
). i figure that if i flash the attacker with the e2 then grip the head and beat the atacker wile hes blind then run ill be fine. however what if im dealing with someone who is not as dangerous( ie neighbor hood gang that is forcing me to let them ride my electric scooter.)dogs are another concern. help please. btw id rather not buy a batonlight

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to add that taking a self-defense class can help in your search for using non-lethal force to stop a threat of attack from someone wielding a knife (only if you know you can take the attacker though.) This is only if you don't want to carry a gun or knife. A pen works well as a quick weapon, even a sharpened pencil. but blinding the person and running can be done though, if you are quick enough. I tend to not run during these encounters (had about 3 or 4 in the past 2 years.) I pretend like I'm going for my wallet and go for my Streamlight 4AA. I blind the would be robber for a brief moment and kick him the the knee. He's on the ground clutching his knee and I walk away. I probably broke it, but he is not dead. If the guy had a gun then I would gladly give him my wallet. A life is more important that a few dollars.

I personally have a 6D mag lite for home protection now, but getting a Glock 19 soon to put in my night stand.

Jason

D

**DONOTDELETE**

In my first year of taking Karate lessons, the instructor dedicated half the lesson to self-defence. One of the first things he taught us is that when faced with a threat one of the best things you can do is to throw some coins into the air, the theory is that a person will instinctively trace the path of the coins, at which point you can either run, give him the good news between the leg, or my personal favourite, cup your hands and slap them on the ears of the threat, if done correctly you can deafen them leaving them in excruciating pain (I HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS, IT IS ONLY MY FAVOURITE BECAUSE THE GIT WILL GET WHAT THEY DESERVE).

Another approach is to spit on the attackers eyes, the theory is that they will naturally wipe it off, blocking their vision.

<DISCLAIMER>

I have NEVER had to use any of what I learned, and I hope that I never will (I DON'T KNOW IF THIS REALLY WORKS).

I would suggest that the safest of these options is the coins; if it doesn't work you haven't just spat in your attackers face (something he might take personally). If the coins sounds good then I'd suggest trying it with some friends, next time you have a conversation throw some coins in the air and watch his eyes, you should then get an idea about the theory being correct or not (again your friends might not appreciate you spitting on them).

I would also point out that I'm from the UK where there is much less chance that a threat would be carrying a gun. Please don't anyone get dead because you tried something that I suggested, I couldn't live with myself!!!

I've trained using these techniques for the past 10 years, you might not have!

If you don't think you can control a situation, then you can't, give them what they want and live another day
</DISCLAIMER>

Be safe,

Tim

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cerberus:
or my personal favourite, cup your hands and slap them on the ears of the threat, if done correctly you can deafen them leaving them in excruciating pain (I HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS, IT IS ONLY MY FAVOURITE BECAUSE THE GIT WILL GET WHAT THEY DESERVE).

Tim
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This does work I saw a patient in the emergency room that got into a scuffle with another girl and she slapped her with cupped hands as described above... popped a nice clean 3mm hole strait through her tympanic membrane. she was deaf as a doornail on the right (probably due to stunning the cochlea on that side. 3mm hole in the drum will probably heal without alot of elastiticty loss on the surface but the cochlea...
That person could be gotten on excessive force i would think.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Per the criminal code of NC, apparantly it is not not illegal to own or purchase or possess switchblades. (Suprise!) They are illegal to carry concealed anywhere but on your own property. Unconcealed carry seems to be legal. (NOTE: this is not legal advice, check with a lawyer if you want that. The NC criminal codes are available on the web in the NC website.)

IMHO, forget the flashlight and go to selfdefenseproducts.com and get some FOX brand pepper spray. Nasty stuff. Check with your local jurisdictions on legality.

Key to any attack is getting out alive. Pepperspray, coins, blinding light, etc. are just distractions to give you a 1 second (if your lucky) head start when running like hell away from your opponent. Don't try to whack them if you don't have to or if you don't have the proper training - you'll most likely lose.

BTW - regarding "proper training" - I had a co-worker who knew karate, black belt, etc. who had a very humbling experience when he was younger. He was attacked by a guy with a knife. He had ample time to run away but was young, stupid, and a "black belt" and decided to be a "tough guy" and try to fight. When all was said and done he had an incision from one side of his abdomen to the other and was on his knees holding his intestines in his hands. 2 months in the hospital. Huge scar. He was VERY lucky. Just something to think about...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quickbeam:
[QB}BTW - regarding "proper training" - I had a co-worker who knew karate, black belt, etc. who had a very humbling experience when he was younger. He was attacked by a guy with a knife. He had ample time to run away but was young, stupid, and a "black belt" and decided to be a "tough guy" and try to fight. When all was said and done he had an incision from one side of his abdomen to the other and was on his knees holding his intestines in his hands. 2 months in the hospital. Huge scar. He was VERY lucky. Just something to think about...[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I quite agree, the first rule of karate is RUN. Karate and most martial arts are only effective against someone else that is also using them i.e. a competition is about as useful as they get.

I should have been clearer on this, when I said trained for 10 years I was referring to self-defence, not karate.

The problem with martial arts is that you use them in a controlled environment where you abide by rules, you won't find many attackers that will bow to you before having a go.

Pepper spray sounds like a good idea, it's not something you can get your hands on over here, but it does sound useful enough to by those precious moments to escape.

Tim.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, you're always bound to get lots of differing opinions on these kinds of threads. My own opinion is that flashlights and pepper spray (I too suggest Fox) are like a good right cross: it might set set someone up for a follow-up, it might knock someone down and out, it might serve as just a small distraction, but it might not do anything at all. Because of how big that range is -- from no effect to fight-stopper -- I'd say that provided you're not depending on spray/flashlight definitely having some certain effect, you're okay.

Martial-arts-wise, if I had the time and money on my hands, I'd skip the self defense courses and traditional martial arts, and go with a syllabus that looks an awful lot like what we see in MMA competitions: boxing or muay thai based striking, plus some form of submission grappling. I'd add in some FMA-based stick and knife training, and there you have it.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
i respect quickbeam so obviosely i will do as he advises and look into that product. no doubt his post was well thought out as he has met me in person and knows what my build is. in a tuff situation rest assured all i wanna do is stun them then get outa dodge. probly id e2 flash him and follow up with an en"light"ening experience where my eternalight on the end of a neck lanyard collides with his head(i dont use lithiums btw). then i run like heck