Help me design a 12V 4-K2

HaPPI

Newly Enlightened
Just got in four LXK2-PW14-U00.
smile.gif
I'm thinking about putting all four into a classic 6V lantern type of light, only using a 12V gel cell. I have stacks of 'em from dead UPS's at work when the electronics fail before the batteries.

Problem is, I'm no EE and I don't know how to wire it to make best use of the emitters - that is, best balance of brightness, long emitter life and long battery life. Anybody out there willing to design the circuit?

I don't need multilevel light, just all on, or off.

Also, would you recommend reflectors or a quad collimator assembly? I need a multipurpose light, moderate throw and spill, not laser-like throw, not wide flood. Would it work to put collimators/reflectors on three of them and leave one without optics?

Because I'm not likely to find a donor lantern that will fit the battery I'll wind up fabricating it, so no restrictions on the case, I guess.

Help me light these suckers up! Thanks.

HaPPI

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm.. it takes about 13.2V to run K2 full power.. so 3-series would direct-drive from 12V nicely.. but two would blow instantly. The easiest and cleanest solution would probably be getting a fatman or better if they become avaiable.. fatflex driver board. it will boost the 12V up to the 16 or so it will take to run the K2 all four in series.. and you can easily add in a pot for changing brightness.

it's close in maximums ... i think the new fatmen will have higher vOut the current models are 16V max i think.

-awr

HaPPI

Newly Enlightened
andrewwynn, is a current-limiting resistor still called for with 3 in series? What ohm and watt? If it's that simple I could use three and put the other in another project. I usually go for simple. Thanks for your comment!

HaPPI

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
not with 12v.. it would be a total no-brainer to use 3xK2.. at 4V no way they will overload. probably be about 700mA or something.. nice n useful light.. and with a 7AH gel cell.. 10 hrs of light.

-awr

HaPPI

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a winner, andrew.

Uh, Nick, I have a bad back, so I have to pass on the hedgehog design. Unless maybe mount wheels on it...

You'll win for sure, Pila. I have a couple other projects I have to finish first or the Mrs will brain me. When I do get it started I'll scrounge some stuff from the PC parts box, like a 486 processor heat sink and a power supply switch. Even ancient Pcs make excellent organ donors. Post some pix of your work, wont you?

HaPPI