how do you remove istsvc and similar files?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
My PC is down and Im on my dads laptop, which is super slow, and I recognize ISTsvc among the processes in windows task manager.I cant seem to delete it. the folder containing the file also pops up every startup, as if taunting me... I remember this file a while back and deleted it from my own pc, but I forgot how. Can someone tell me a simple way to remove it? And can someone give me a few more names of similar files?

Theres also a file with the same characteristics, but different name. I also dont see it on the list in task manager. Its located in program files, like istsvc, its undeletable, and it has a weird name that I searched for online and had NO matches. The folder containing it is called Lzqiib and the file is Eatw. And one more thing, I cant delete it because "it is right protected" or something like that, not because it was being used by another program.

Last edited:

K A

Enlightened
Hmm. I came up with this on the first hit in google:

istsvc.exe - Here is the scoop on IST bar. The big question: what is istsvc.exe and is it spyware, a trojan and if so, how do I get rid of IST bar?
istsvc - IST bar Details

The istsvc process is an add-on toolbar for Internet Explorer provided by Integrated search technologies. On installation it has been know to install other parasitic programs such as Rapidblaster.

istsvc.exe is considered to be a security risk, not only because spyware removal programs flag IST bar as spyware, but also because a number of users have complained about its performance.

IST bar is likely spyware and as such, presents a serious vulnerability which should be fixed immediately! Delaying the removal of istsvc.exe may cause serious harm to your system and will likely cause a number of problems, such as slow performance, loss of data or leaking private information.

istsvc.exe is considered to be a security risk, not only because Adware Removal programs flag IST bar as Adware, but also because there can be privacy issues associated with istsvc.

IST bar is likely adware and as such, presents an unnecessary risk which should be eliminated! Removing istsvc.exe may cause a number of problems, such as slow performance, loss of data or leaking private information.

Removing IST bar may be difficult.

The Spy Bot database currently registers istsvc.exe to Integrated search technologies.

I suggest Spybot or your favorite spyware cleaner to get rid of it.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Mags said:
...I cant delete it because "it is right protected" or something like that, not because it was being used by another program.
There is a DOS program called ATTRIB.EXE.
Run it on the file; you should be able to remove its write-protected status and therefore make it deletable.

For example, shell to DOS, go to the directory where Eatw is located, and type in the following:

attrib eatw.exe -r

This assumes attrib is in the windows, windows\system, windows\system32, or the root directory and you've restarted the computer. You can also place attrib into the same directory as Eatw, and run it without rebooting. Then you can type del eatw.* and be done with it.

I have a copy of ATTRIB.EXE right here (~11K) if it will help.

Last edited: