Maglite shootout: stock bulbs v. LED

MG_Saldivar

Newly Enlightened
Although I've only really been a flashaholic for about a year (still a recovering knife knut), I feel like I've been really late to the 'upgrade stock Mags with LEDs' party.

I recently bought Mags and upgraded to LEDs. I wanted to compare them to the same model flashlights' stock bulbs, so I bought two new flashlights and captured beamshots before upgrading them. So, in both cases, the stock bulb beamshots come from lights that have not been touched (other than to feed batteries).

First, the contenders:

Maglite 4xD cell

225457006_2f375eb9d8.jpg

and

Maglite Solitaire 1xAAA

225457008_3990621bdd.jpg

The beamshots (focused to tight spot):

225457010_e4ba82b656.jpg

It's hard to tell from this photo, but the LED provides much more flood than the stock bulb. Although I didn't modify this photo other than to crop it, I would say the pic actually makes the stock Soli bulb seem marginally brighter (10%? 5%?) than I perceive it to be with my naked eyeball.

Next, the big boys:

225457011_83fc702a45.jpg

In this case, I feel this pic accurately represents the brightness I perceive with my eyes, but I see the stock bulb's hotspot as being less fuzzy around the perimeter. Both Mag 4D's produce an equal (and impressive) amount of flood.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
kool, thats pretty good on spot for the solitaire, I can't get mine to eliminate the donut hole no matter how close I focus it...:rant: