stinger....to poly or not....

D

**DONOTDELETE**

that is the question. i really need a light for the truck. should i go poly or aluminum? what is the XT for?

please help me with advantages/disadvantages. thanks.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
The poly stinger has a lot going for it. In black the body will not show cosmetic damage the same way the aluminum model does and the poly is obviously not affected by corrosion. The weight is slightly lighter and I understand that the poly is considerd less likely to be damaged by impact than the equivelent aluminum version.

I have a SL 3C which is made from the same sort of poly that the Stinger is and I can personally vouch for how tough this type of material is, having dropped it, banged it numerous times and having it stood on by a very large firefighter.

I cant think of any particular advantage that the aluminum version would give over the poly except perhaps as an impact weapon.............which is hardly a reason to buy the aluminum is it?

Just my thoughts!

Doug

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are pretty good lights, very durable. I had an aluminum for a number of years. There were lots of dings in it from being dropped, but I think the poly would have been just as bad. You can also get the poly version in yellow, and I think orange. They are better to hold when cold, since plastic doesn't get as cold as metal. The rubber grip on the poly version isn't as good as it used to be, but still a better handhold than the metal body of the standard aluminum.

The XT is an aluminum body, with the switch placed at the tail, more like a SureFire, and I think a rubber grip.

Whichever one you get, spend the extra few dollars and get the fast charger. I hated having to have my light out of commission for the 10 hours it took to charge it.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both of Poly Stinger and Stinger XT. It really depends on your personal preference. Information from Doug and Unicorn are extremely accurate.

The greatest strength of XT is its tailcap switch and unlike SF, XT's switch is clickable (momentarily or constant on). The additional benefit of XT is its future upgrade. You could get Ultra Head and make it Stinger XT HP.

For PolyStinger, it has a built-in spare bulb that peace your mind. Its tailcap has a hole that designed for lanyard that I find very handy.

It will be a perfect light if they produce a PolyStinger XT
tongue.gif

Alan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

alan, polystinger xt would be a great light. thanks for the info.

i like the ext tailcap. i also like the look of aluminum and i guess there's not much advantage over poly.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I found the XT very difficult to grip since the rubber cover had ribs that went along the body rather then perpendicular to it. Whenever I switched it on, my hand slide towards the rear of the body and it became difficult to hold and use.

If I had to use it, I'd wrap gaffer tape over the rubber "grip" (sic) so I could have some grip.

Al

redbird

Enlightened
I have both stinger types but not the XT
I prefer the polystinger because of the rubber on the grip and the lighter weight.

The light output is the same

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm not sure. maybe Latin.

People sometimes put it after a pun or oxymoron etc

It means "so, thus" can be translated to "calling attention to" or something...

Al

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the SL Stinger, does anyone on this board have the flasher/dimmer tailcap? If so, what is your experience with it? I am interested to know how well the dimmer works. This is a feature I've always wanted on a flashlight. Thank you for any feedback.

Grog

Enlightened
I've had the original metal Stinger and 20xp (full size poly) for a pretty good while and between the poly and reg. Stinger only I'd get the poly for the cold weather factor.

If you want to upgrade to the new super-head (or whatever it will be called
smile.gif
) I don't know yet if it work on the PolyStinger or just the metal ones (Stinger and XT).

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by switch625:
what is (sic)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you quote someone else, and the quote itself has a mis-spelled word, or incorrect puncuation, or other incorrect technical information, you do not correct the information, rather quote it exactly, and put {sic} after the incorrect quotation.

Also, the word sic should be inside of square brackets but the BBS software does not appear to allow square brackets.

Latest posts