Standards for "Pocketable"

lightrod

Enlightened
I see "pocketable" or "truly pocketable" on CPF all the time but don't really know what it means to folks. A search did me no good. If not already done, why don't we CPF's propose a "standard" for pocketability. Who better that us? If this makes sense I will compile results from the responses and let's see where we end up.

Out of curiosity I found I could fit a large water bottle - 3" wide by 10" long - into the front pocket of all 3 pairs of pants I tried! However the top 4" is exposed, so 3" x 6" is the largest that can be pocketeted and not be visible. But no one would consider 3 x 10 or 3 x 6 either to be pocketable, right?

"Comfortable" pocketability for me means that I can put the light in my pocket (let's say with no other items) and through the day and my normal tasks walking/sitting/etc., I do not really notice or get distracted by it. Based on my experience that limit is found no greater than 1" diameter and 3.5" height (25mm x 90mm) - and that's on the edge for me - just starting to get a little annoying
icon8.gif
. This is basically the size of the HDS EDC lights. I notice a distinct and clear improvement when it gets to 0.8" x 2.5" (20mm x 65mm) - such as the FF3 or the Fexix P1 - and I think that's more where I'd put the target for "comfortable"
smile.gif
. (And the truth is only my Raw Ns at 0.7" x 1.8" or 18mm x 45mm is really incognito
grinser2.gif
- but that's a bit too far I think for our purposes).

Somehow I think I'm a little more sensitive than most to the size thing. What do you find the preferred (comfortable/not noticable) size and the maximum size (on the edge of annoyance) for pocketability to be?

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would rate my Surefire E2L as pocketable. My SLPP 4AA and Surefire L7 will also fit in my pocket but will bulge out and are uncomfortable to sit down with. For these lights we should create a new category: pocketable* (with an asterisk)

* "Is that a flashlight in your pocket or are you just happy to see me"

mafeya

Newly Enlightened
pocketable is very subjective...maybe I have small pockets and small lights are pocketable to me...maybe I have large pockets and fairly longer lights dont bother me at all...:)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO it depends on the view angle.
For me, all lights in the size of a SF L4 are pocketable. I have smaller and larger pockets, but this size is easy for me to carry.
I have seen discussions about 1-2 mm differences in diameter and length at lights like the P1 and the Pierce M10:banghead:...:hairpull:.

For me it's more important the overall performance and finish of a light. Not a few milimeters.

Best regards

____
Tom

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
For me, pocketable means very small. 1xCR123 is the biggest I'll ever go, but I prefer smaller lights than that. I EDC an Arc AAA on my keychain and an Orb Raw Ti loose in my pocket.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, pocketable means one of two things. I can carry it comfortably and unobtrusively laying at the bottom of my front pocket, or, it can slip lengthwise into my hip pocket, not stick out above it, and it is comfortable to move around and sit with it there.

Examples of pocketable lights would be my X1 in my front pocket, the X5 in rear hip pocket, X0 is just slightly too large in diameter and length but I use it there.

gud4u

Newly Enlightened
I consider an Inova XO3/T3 light about the max size limit for pocket carry - also at the limit of weight for comfortable pocket carry.

A Fenix P1 is pocketable even in a shirt pocket, but so small you may want a lanyard/fob for retrieval from your pocket.

This is one of those topics that is purely subjective - no 'rules', just 'preferences'.

wmirag

Enlightened
I consider a light "truly pocketable" when I don't notice it in my pocket. So a small single CR2 (e.g. Jil) or CR123 (e.g. ArcLS Twisty) is the largest "truly pocketable" in my mind. Even the HDS series, while fantastic lights, are bulky enough to always say "I'm here".

W.

auroreboreale

Newly Enlightened
Living North of 60 where the 19 hour long nights of winter are rapidly approaching, the Northern definition of 'pocketable' stretches up to belt pouches for multi-tools and the ever-present Mag 2xAA. With multi-tool, survival lighter, CPR mask, wallet etc, in various cargo pants pockets, I am finding even a 2XAAA Mag too big, so, after 15years of torturing a 2xAAA Mag with daily wear, I have ordered a Peak Matterhorn. Just looking at the package I find the Dorcy 1xAAA to be too big to imagine carrying!

While your pocket kit should be enough for everyday stuff, most of us carry at least a fanny pack (it is a pocket!) or day packs when we are out on the land, with water, food and an extra clothing layer or survival gear, where the LED Petzl headlamps are very popular.

Running, pushing bikes up steep hills, and walking up to 10km a day argues for compact kit!

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything in the 4x1 inch size range should be perfectly acceptable for pocket carry IMO (and I'm not a big strapping dude).

My HDS EDC, Fenix P1, L2Tw/CR123 tube and Civictor all slip in there and disapear.

I suppose some of the more tactical types with heavy paterns on the grip and cenelated bezels could be a bit unwieldly/uncomfortable...but I wouldn't kniow as I don't own anything like that.

I've also decided (personally) that things like Arcs, Fenix E1's, L0P's, and any other tiny AAA lights should be worn around the neck, freeing up the pocket for something with a bit more oomph.

CFU

BTW, tried my FT01 (about 5 inches long using the pocket clip) in my pocket for a few days...and although it was ok, it's not for me...I was allways aware of it being there.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
For me pocketable means not really noticing it's there. I find the Arc AAA will disappear in my front pants pocket.

Geoff

bwm

Newly Enlightened
Yes, totally subjective what is a pocketable light. I think it depends upon what activities we are doing.

At work I am continually kneeling thus anything bigger than my CR2 Ion digs into my thigh and is very uncomfortable at the end of the day. So for work I consider cr2 size or smaller comfortably pocketable.

At home kneeling is not a factor then I find that my HDS EDC is comfortably pocketable.

Brian

GrooveRite

Enlightened
I carry my P1 in my small change pocket in the front of my jeans. It fits perfectly there for me and doesnt bother me one bit when I'm moving or bending/crouching. I hope my Ti FF3 will be similar in size with my P1 so I can carry in that same spot aswell.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. Pocketable for me mean a single cell AA, AAA or 123 Light. With a maximum diameter to one inch and preferably LESS. Maximum length of 3.5 inches.

I would love to get an HDS light but at one inch in diameter I find that too big.

For me a great size is the Fenix L0P single AAA light. I would be in heaven if they made it two stage and increased the length by 3/8" or less for a push button on/off switch.

D_A

lightrod said:
I see "pocketable" or "truly pocketable" on CPF all the time but don't really know what it means to folks. A search did me no good. If not already done, why don't we CPF's propose a "standard" for pocketability. Who better that us? If this makes sense I will compile results from the responses and let's see where we end up.

Out of curiosity I found I could fit a large water bottle - 3" wide by 10" long - into the front pocket of all 3 pairs of pants I tried! However the top 4" is exposed, so 3" x 6" is the largest that can be pocketeted and not be visible. But no one would consider 3 x 10 or 3 x 6 either to be pocketable, right?

"Comfortable" pocketability for me means that I can put the light in my pocket (let's say with no other items) and through the day and my normal tasks walking/sitting/etc., I do not really notice or get distracted by it. Based on my experience that limit is found no greater than 1" diameter and 3.5" height (25mm x 90mm) - and that's on the edge for me - just starting to get a little annoying
icon8.gif
. This is basically the size of the HDS EDC lights. I notice a distinct and clear improvement when it gets to 0.8" x 2.5" (20mm x 65mm) - such as the FF3 or the Fexix P1 - and I think that's more where I'd put the target for "comfortable"
smile.gif
. (And the truth is only my Raw Ns at 0.7" x 1.8" or 18mm x 45mm is really incognito
grinser2.gif
- but that's a bit too far I think for our purposes).

Somehow I think I'm a little more sensitive than most to the size thing. What do you find the preferred (comfortable/not noticable) size and the maximum size (on the edge of annoyance) for pocketability to be?

Illum

Flashaholic
any length and size of flashlight or flashlights than can be crammed into a pant pocket of standard deviations and can be hidden within the pocket completely without tearing the pocket is considered pocketable...just depends on what goes in first...like a vertical jigsaw puzzle

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost always I carry a L4 or similar sized light in a kydex holster on my belt and I rotate carry lights like the CR ION, Maxlite AA, Arc AAA, HDS, aleph PD and others in my front pocket.