Ray-O-Vac DDL modification (Pics Added)

dangee

Newly Enlightened
This flashlight was born due to the need of a bright long lasting torch to never be used. well that is i hope not. i wanted something to put down in the shelter i dug under the house. i didnt want to rely on an incandescent to quickly drain the cells with diminished output. I found a ray o vac industrial to accept the white luxeon 1 watt.
powered by 2 "d" cells i suspect very long run time for the direct driven luxeon, perfect for its intended purpose. the emitter and acrylic ball are from dat2zip, the strontium aluminate is from elektrolumens
icon14.gif

fca8a91d.jpg

the white thumbscrew by the switch controls the amount of force needed to turn on the flashlight. (the switch turns on fairly easy and i didnt want accidental usage)

fca8a91c.jpg

a 3/4" acrylic ball was used to focus the beam.

fca8a917.jpg

strontium aluminate was used on the 2aa maglight reflector which utilizes the dimpled reflector of the rayovac very well, and produces a lot of light. (should probably have a beam shot)

fca8a912.jpg

this beam shot is extremly close to visual perception of color rendition, taken with a digital canon s30. resolution @ 2040 x 1536, iso set @ 200, f 2.8, white balance set @ tungsten. the outer ring is 11" in diameter.

dangee

Newly Enlightened
the emitter was soldered to a copper clad perf board isolated in the middle and then soldered into a pr base that fit into the rayovac bulb holding assembly.

Latest posts