Fenix lights which one to buy????

Chuck Witherspoon

Newly Enlightened
I know that alot of you on here use fenix lights. I was wondering which one to buy? I wanted one for a backup/main light. I was thinking of the the l1p or the l1t. I can get the the l1p for about $20 less. I was also thinking of making the jump to rechargeables for the lights. I was wondering what you all use for rechargeables and where to get them? Thanks a bunch

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
get em all.... all are nice ones...

My Personal Preference is Fenix civictor V1, Fenix L2P and Fenix L0P .... all running on common cell types..

P1 is also good, in fact very bright one.

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
Hi Chuck,

and welcome to CPF!

Well, around here the standard answer to your question is just buy them all.:lolsign:
I would suggest the L2T/L1T first, because of its two stages. To the naked eye, the difference in brightness isn't what a lot of us prefer. Most of us would prefer to have a much dimmer low stage. However, you can mod the tailcap with a resistor of your choice to change the light to a 3 stage, and get the low brightness level you prefer. Without modification, the stock 2 stages are fine, and the low stage increases the runtime significantly. The L2P/L1P are also great lights, although mine have a much warmer tint than my L2T light. I'm not saying anything negative about the tint, only that its different. Both models are very bright. Expect to get more brightness from the double battery models, although there isn't much change in runtime.

The L0P which is smaller and handier uses a AAA battery, and isn't quite as bright as its bigger brothers. Its very bright nonetheless, and the runtime isn't as good as the bigger models either, but its incredibly useful.

The P1 uses a CR123A battery and is very bright and super small. The 123 battery configuration may not be what you're looking for, though, as 123s aren't as common in bum%$#@ Eygpt as AA and AAA batteries.

I have several different types of rechargeable Nimh batteries.

Powerizer 2000 mah AA
Tenergy 950 mah AAA
GE Sanyo 1600 mah AA
Sanyo 900 mah AAA
Duracell 2650 mah AA
Digital (Walmart and other retailers) 1000 mah AAA
Digital 2200 mah AA
Digital 2400 mah AA
Others......

The Powerizer batteries are a few years old now and still going strong. I have 2 dozen of them, so they are rotated.
The Tenergy AAA batteries are great and inexpensive.
The Sanyos are top quality and about as reliable as you can get, and they're made in Japan.
The Duracells are excellent and made in Japan too. An 8 pack can be had at Walmart for less than $16.
The Digital batteries are proving impressive, as I'm using them more than anything in my flashlights lately. I'm trying to kill them because they just can't be as good as they seem for what they cost. A 4 pack of 1000 mah AAAs is less than $5.

Rechargeable Lith-ion batteries don't have the same capacity as their Nimh counterparts, and supply more than 3 times the voltage, so you've gotta be careful that your device will support their use.

Ni-cad batteries are still useful, but don't have the capacity of Nimh. They're getting hard to find these days.

Although there are few around here that aren't impressed with the Fenix lights, there are thousands of us who love them. They're innovative, well made, and reliable. Whichever you choose, you can't go wrong. Good luck.

PS, there are other similarly designed lights you might consider. Ultrafire, Luxogen, Huntlight, Liteflux are all competitive with Fenix, and you may find them to your liking as well.

josean

Newly Enlightened
One of the most interesting features of some Fenix models is its excelent regulation: You have an output almost constant up to nearly the end of the battery charge.

The most recent models seem to have the best regulation, in particular if used with NiMH batteries.

I would recommend you to buy one of the L1T/L2T or the Fenix E1 if you want a true pocket light.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto to Viren, particularly about the Civictor V1. As bright and efficient as the other 1AA Fenixes but simpler (i.e. more reliable, although the others seem reliable too), smaller, and considerably lower cost, percentage wise. Included in 4seven's current discount.

C4LED

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
Ditto to Viren, particularly about the Civictor V1. As bright and efficient as the other 1AA Fenixes but simpler (i.e. more reliable, although the others seem reliable too), smaller, and considerably lower cost, percentage wise. Included in 4seven's current discount.

Another vote for the Civictor here as well--same reasons as quoted above.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I really like my Civictor, too. It seems to be a good battery drainer, in addition to its other pluses. I've put about three hours use from a old battery the past few nights and it refuses to dim. The same batt in a new style X1 is not nearly as useful. Must be pretty efficient.

Geoff

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Civictor V1 is a cracking little no-nonsense AA light, add Energizer lithium AA's for even better all around performance.

The Fenix P1 stuns me with it's output every time I turn it on - Powerful little creature!

Great lights, buy both (been dying to say that for ages!)
biggrin.gif

CFU

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread has been very helpful to me as well! I can't decide on which one to purchase but now I do....I really like lights that have good regulation and AA lights are really handy and you can always find a battery should you need one.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the L2T with an extra L1T body for it. If you search around on fenix-store.com you can find the L1T body.

Two flashlights in one!

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the 1xAA light class I can recommend the L1P with a 2-stage switch mod.
Extremly runtime on low and bright enough on high for this class with a good tint.

Best regards

____
Tom

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I only have a P1 Natural finish at this time. But if other Fenix stuff is this good, you can't go wrong! I get around not having two or more brightness levels by using the spill if the spot is TOO bright. Works great for me!

Chuck Witherspoon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I saw on the fenix store site that the L2P fenix came with an L1P body as well. How does the L2P compare with just one battery?

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
Chuck,

The L2P with the L1P body will give longer runtime than a normal L1P, as its fully regulated. It's also a bit brighter. The combination is really good, as it uses a common battery, and if you use Nimh, you get free lumens!

The L2P with the extended body will be somewhat brighter, but unnecessary in most instances.

There is one way to improve on the L2P head, though. Use a 123 body with it. These were made a couple of months back and are sold out, but occasionally one pops up on the BST boards. There also may be a new run produced soon, but those will be for the L1/L2T. The 123 body shortens the length, and gives you the same amount of brightness as 2 batteries. You could also just opt for the P1.

All in all, I don't think you'd be displeased with the L2P and L1 body combo. It's a great deal, and if you've never dealt with 4sevens and the Fenix_Store, have no fear. Its an extremely well run operation, with excellent customer service, and the owner is "one of us".

Last edited: