Can Mag Light LED bulbs be used in other lights?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can Mag Light LED bulbs be used in other lights?

Ive seen the bulb and was thinking I have a few regular 2 cell lights that would get some new life with a 3 watt led bulb.

I havent read anything on here about that and was wondering.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rayovac value bright is the only one we've heard of so far.

For the record: Garrity Tuff Light, Rayovac Industrial, Coleman water-activated and the Dorcy spot/area lights won't work.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The PR flange and the body are both a bit big.

I got an 84 cent 2AA light to take one, but that has been the only light so far. I didn't leave it in that light as the heat sinking was dismal even compared to a M*g!

Edit> Hmmmm... I have that quite blueish 2 cell doing nothing right now... <edit

Further edit> Frees up one more "old" SMJLED!!!

Last edited:

Empath

Flashaholic
They aren't PR standard, although they will fit in the Mag. They're billed as Mag conversion modules. If another flashlight can be modified to accept the larger dimensions, then there's no reason I see that it wouldn't work. One thing about it, if you can make it fit, is that a proper heatsink isn't mandatory.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I may just buy one and see. I think now that I think about it, have quite a few 2 cell lights that maybe able to accept that bulb. c,d and aa cells. I may even have a tripple a cell one too.

I do not think it would be too hard to grind down a washer to give it a flange if not a small cirl clip or snap ring. I have a bit more experience at grinding than soldering to deal with the stars knows have been using to make led lights.

Worse to worse, I end up puting it in a mag light. :)

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
cobb said:
Thanks. I may just buy one and see. I think now that I think about it, have quite a few 2 cell lights that maybe able to accept that bulb. c,d and aa cells. I may even have a tripple a cell one too.

I do not think it would be too hard to grind down a washer to give it a flange if not a small cirl clip or snap ring. I have a bit more experience at grinding than soldering to deal with the stars knows have been using to make led lights.

Worse to worse, I end up puting it in a mag light. :)

If you would like to try, out of the hosts I mentioned, the Garrity Tuff Light looks like it has enough meat on it's bulb holder (It detaches from refelector) that you could possibly ream off with a Dremel tool to get one to fit.(I don't have a Dremel or I'd try) If it works, you'll have a host that's waterproof and floats.

thunderlight

Enlightened

Mikeg23

Enlightened
For these 2AA light are your using a bulb meant for 2 C/D batteries? They probably don't get as bright do they?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mikeg23 said:
For these 2AA light are your using a bulb meant for 2 C/D batteries? They probably don't get as bright do they?

Depends on the batteries.
Some AA batteries like Nickel metal Hydride rechargeables will usually have the oomph.
Some high performance alkalines also do pretty good.

Back on topic, It just fits in my 31 year old Eveready Commander 2D.
I now have my 1st flashlight updated to the 21st century. :laughing:
As a bonus, the metal bulb collar seems to help keep the magled a bit cooler too.
Still dims down some after it warms up, but not as much so, or as soon as it does in a Maglite.
The focus is however a bit off.