Throw-Output like Propolymer 4AA LED?

MeLLoJeLLo

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. Pretty simple...

I'm looking for a more portable flashlight that will let me have roughly the same output and throw like the Propolymer A44 LED (or more! lol!)

I don't really care about the runtime. I just want raw power. Preference for 1x CR123A since I want it to be pocketable. Two stages a plus.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
These lights are 1xCR123A:

P1 - $45
Pierce M10 - ~$100, two levels, but out of stock
HDS EDC U60 - $125, programmable
HDS EDC U60GT - $135, programmable

You might like the P1. It delivers a lot of bang for the buck.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the closest that you'll get is probably the Pelican M6 LED (2390), but it's going to be a chunk of change and may be larger than what you're looking for. A lower cost option might be the new Mini Mag LED that is just starting to show up in Wal*Marts in the States (the ones on your side of the border don't get them at the same time and the distribution network up there is different.) It does look like it's going to be a formidable performer. If you have to have a 1 CR123 light, then CHC's suggestion for the Dorcy is probably one of the better performers in that class, however don't expect the output that you'd get from the SL PP 4AA as part of it's success comes from the reflector that is in that light.

MeLLoJeLLo said:
Hi guys. Pretty simple...

I'm looking for a more portable flashlight that will let me have roughly the same output and throw like the Propolymer A44 LED (or more! lol!)

I don't really care about the runtime. I just want raw power. Preference for 1x CR123A since I want it to be pocketable. Two stages a plus.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Aleph 1 w/ 1x123A body, Nexgen 750, and 2-stage switch comes to mind. I don't know if you can buy these anymore, however. You might be able to get one from another CPF member on B/S/T. It's going to be steep--these things originally sold for around $180.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
The ProPoly has a tighter, brighter hotspot than the Dorcy CR123 light. I'm guessing in terms of area on a wall, the Dorcy's hotspot is about 4 times as big and therefore, dimmer overall than the ProPoly. That said, it's still quite useful, especially indoors. If I were forced to choose between them, I'd pick the PP, since it runs well on 4 of any AA cell type.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Peak Rainier [~$90] has great throw for a small single cell light. It uses rechargable lithium batteries - RCR123a. It gets about 45 minutes before needing recharge. The build quality on Peak lights is very good.

I believe the output/throw numbers from Flashlight Reviews for the Rainier are 40 / 40.6 while the SL PP 4AA Lux are 23.5 / 54.8.

I like the Dorcy Super 1 watt a lot [tremendous value], but these don't put out nearly the same amount of light as a SL PP 4aa Lux, nor do they have the throw.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
MeLLoJeLLo said:
...looking for a more portable flashlight that will let me have roughly the same output and throw like the Propolymer A44 LED (or more! lol!)...I don't really care about the runtime. I just want raw power. Preference for 1x CR123A since I want it to be pocketable...
As already stated the Peak Ranier may be the best-throwing 1x 123A pocket LED light. Run time is just 45 min to 50% but it's very bright and throws well.

Flashlightreviews tested the throw at 1650 and overall output at 4000 output units. By contrast the PP Lux 4AA had throw of 3000 and overall output of 2350. It achieves that high throw with a very narrow beam hotspot.

By contrast the Peak Caribbean, which most consider a good throwing 1x 123A light, only has throw of 810 in flashlightreviews.com test. Another good pocket LED thrower, the Amilite Neo T3 has throw of 1160. This illustrates how good throwing the Ranier is.

Requires an RCR123A (rechargeable) for best output. Currently only $82.50: http://www.peakledsolutions.com/CR123RHA3W.html

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wish there was a simliar to the PP 4AA Lux that used a Lux3 and a long reflector for a tight spot... made out of metal so it can be driven harder :D