Can I run the Maglite 3W upgrade module run on 3x123s'?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently running the good ol' 3x123 in a 2D Mag w/5D krypton bulb thing. I'm wondering if I can get the 5-6 cell LED upgrade module and run it off the 3x123s'? Would it work?

lhivernant

Newly Enlightened
Mag doesn't make 5 or 6 cell upgrades (just 2-4). There is the Nite-Ize but that would be a waste of 123s.

Joel

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thought of this doesn't make a bit of sense in practical terms. If you want a small Mag with the Mag LED module and you want the most output, stick a 3 cell one into a 3 cell C light and it should be able to run all night on a set of batteries. If you want to run it steadily for a few nights on the same set of batteries, get the D cell version. Both C and D batteries cost a lot less than quality CR123s, and even less than the no-name Chinese imports, and you'll get a lot more run time from them.

QuadMan

Newly Enlightened
I'm assuming you want something to suck your batteries down after the 5D krypton bulb dims
icon5.gif

You've probably already thought of this, but you could run 2X123 plus a dummy cell to get 6V. Then stick in a 4 cell Magled. I think (looking at Silverfox's battery shootouts) 2 "new" batteries would give a "streamlight propoly 4AA luxeon output" for 3-6 hrs.

You would have to save the leftover 123 to use later (be aware that mismatched 123 can sometimes explode, but mostly with high current draws).:drool:

Another option, if you're mechanically inclined, would be to check with NewBie, the guru of the Magled dropins. In this thread he gives a quick mod for the 2 cell:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=130861

He might have some ideas on modding one of the dropins for 9 volts.

Or, just get an EverLED!:)