What type batteries do you use in your Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon?

What type batteries do you use in your SL 4AA PP Lux?

• Total voters
You can get almost six hours of runtime with a set of fully charged 2.7Ah NiMH batteries and they're the greatest thing ever on the bench, but I went back to alkaline.

Why:
I go through a set of alkalines in about a month. In less than ideal storage conditions it encounters, NiMH would not hold the charge.

Batteries are physically damaged in relative benign drops. This is no biggie with alkalines since they're tossed when they are dead, but NiMH keeps accumulating damage.

Failure is too sudden.

Weight per set:

alk: 96g
2.7Ah NiMH: 122g

CLHC

Flashaholic
When I had my Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon, it ran on DURACELL Power Pix Nickel Oxy Hydroxides. It performed very well. . .That's all.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMH for frequently used ones, and alkalines in the ones that are used infrequently. While they usually get charged more frequently, my NiMH batteries are fine after a month of sitting around, albeit with slightly less capacity. I don't worry about the batteries getting damaged, the worse shock that they might encounter is flying out of a car, getting run over by a truck, or someone doesn't catch it from a throw. If the NiMH batteries get damaged, it's no big thing, they're cheap and easy to replace.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Alkaline because mine stays in a climate controlled area.

Should it become a truck light, I'd likely go with Lith AA, perhaps 3 and a spacer.

It isn't quite a light I could/would EDC and therefor doesn't get NimH.

Some batteries DO NOT work in the SL 4AA PP Luxeon light. The negative contact on this light is a thin ring shaped metal that contacts the flat negative terminal. The reason for it being a ring instead of a plate is to prevent positive end from being able to complete the circuit in the event batteries are installed incorrectly.

The problem arising from this contact is that some batteries do not have a negative terminal that is too small to reliably make contact with the ring. An example is Panasonic AA battery that came with my digital camera. Since I don't use alkalines in my camera, I tried to put them to use in my light.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Should it become a truck light, I'd likely go with Lith AA, perhaps 3 and a spacer.

thats a really good idea... it would be cool to run it w/ 4x14500's in parallel...

I'll have to work on that pack :)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first got my ProPoly, I had big NiMH plans for it. I recently ZTSed the original Energizer alks, and even though they were at around 20%, I didn't notice any difference in brightness from when they were fresh. I don't know how I should vote.

Awesome light. Truly awesome.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two. Right now they have NiMhs in them because I'm still playing with them and showing them off. I will probably switch to alks once they become more of a storage light. Right now I keep one in the car mated with a 7 LED PP with alks in it. If neglect causes the Luxeon to come up short on runtime when away from home and it's needed, I can rob the alks out of the 7 LED.

Dreamer

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine and still running on the Energizer batts that comes with it. Love this light! :rock:

Newuser01

Enlightened
I have both propoly's and i use them with NIMH...... Batteries are topped off every week and they are GREAT!!!!

What great lights they are.....Havn't let me down once yet..