Self-Defense Show - New Episodes

yalskey

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

If you are interested in self-defense (the real stuff, not karate b.s.), then I have a podcast for you! Look below at the posts in this thread for updates on the Self-Defense Show! A podcast that will allow you to prevail over violence, and be a survivor, rather than a victim!

http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com

[email protected]

Comments Voicemail: 206-600-5520

PODCAST RSS/URL FEED ADDRESS:
http://rss.mac.com/yalskey/iWeb/Self-Defense Show/Podcast/rss.xml

===============
SHOW DISCRIPTION:

The Self-Defense Show - Hosted by Professor Charles Hepburn II and his wife Christie, this is a podcast about personal protection, safety, violence survival, counter-crime measures, security, and self defense. Although we talk about dark subjects, we try and inject some humor into the show to lighten things up. This is NOT karate or martial arts... this is HIGHLY EFFECTIVE and realistic self defence advice and information to save yourself from crime and violence. There will be at least 2 new episodes per week. If you would like to email us, please do at [email protected]

=========================================
BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO PODCASTS & HOW TO SUBCRIBE:

A Podcast is like a radio show (that most anyone can make with a standard computer) that's aired or published to the internet. Each episode of the show is contained in a .mp3 (audio) file that you can download off the person's website (whom ever is doing the podcast). Additionally, you can "subscribe" to a podcast much the same as you can subscribe to a magazine. Then, anytime a new episode is released, it will automatically download to your computer and be ready to listen to.

To do all this is very easy. All you need is a "pod catcher" (my term). It's a piece of software that let's you download, subscribe, and browse the many thousands of available podcasts. By and away the most popular software for this is Apple's iTunes. It is totally free, works on both PC and Mac computers, and is super easy to install and work with.

All you need to do is:
1. Go to: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
2. Install iTunes on your computer
3. Go to: http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com
4. Click on the "Podcast" link at the top of the website
5. Click the purple "Subscribe" button in the upper right part of the webpage

Blam! Your done! iTunes will open up and give you a subscription to the show. iTunes always organizes all your podcast episodes that have been downloaded into its "Podcast" section; it's the purple icon on the left most pane of the iTunes screen. You will see that you can download more episodes of that specific podcast by clicking the "Get" button besides each line of listing under the podcast name.

If you would like to see what other podcasts our out there (there's at least 5 on any given subject in the world)... in iTunes, make sure you are in the "Podcast" section, and click the "Podcast Directory" link at the bottom of the window. This will take you to iTunes Music Store Podcast listings, where you can search for podcasts of your interest.

The very best part of this whole thing, is that everything is FREE! Nothing to buy, no strings attached. You can really find a lot of amazing podcasts out there; put out by normal everyday people, and by big commercial broadcasters too (like ABC, NBC, ESPN, etc.)

Let me know if you have any questions, and I hope this helped :) Welcome to the wonderful world of podcasts :)

[email protected]

Last edited:

yalskey

Enlightened
Edited the above post to reflect that this thread will be the sole thread to inform all about updates to the Self-Defense Show.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read your first thread on your podcast, and checked it out. Then I saw your second thread. And your third. Now your fourth.

Other than this post, people have said anything in your second, third, and fourth threads. Now I don't mean to sound rude, but isn't this a little spam-esque?

yalskey

Enlightened
Thank you for checking out my podcast... I really hope you enjoyed and learned from it.

Not to split hairs, but this is not the 4th thread, it is the 3rd. I modified the 3rd thread to be the sole thread, so it may have seemed like a 4th one, but technically it is still the same thread. Additionally, this thread will serve as a home for all future posts about my podcast.

I don't have a LOT of history in internet forums, so I was unaware of how I should go about it. Since my initial couple threads, I've learned that the best way to do it is to just have one main thread, and post inside that thread for updates. Sorry for the amature mistake on my part.

As far as this being "spam" or similar to it. I would like to point out that I am NOT selling any product or service. Indeed, I'm not making any money what-so-ever. I'm not promoting a company. I'm trying to post responsibly in the correct category of the overall forum (off-topic, CAFE). I'm a legitimate member of this forum (with intrests in flashlights too), and have participated / contributed in a positive way.

What about the above description is spam? Maybe just the fact that I had 2 threads prior to this (because I was still in my learning curve)? Geezz, sorry for crying out loud. I'm honestly NOT trying to spam anything here... just trying to inform the people who I chat with on CPF, and those who listen to my show (which is pretty good by the way), about news on the status of the show; and maybe (yes I admit it), attract some new listeners.

Again, I understand your perception of my past action being similar to spam, but I hope you can see now that it was just a bit of a blunder on my part with how to go about posting on here about this topic.

I do appreciate all the CPF members that have taken the time to listen to my podcast, and I hope everyone can excuse my little mistake with having different threads for different updates. From now on, this thread will be the only tread for updates.

Thanks again :)

yalskey

Enlightened
Howdy everyone!

Episode 013 is ready for your listening pleasure.

It's all about how to communicate effectively with the police after a self-defense incident. A really neglected subject in most martial arts and even self-defense programs.

Head over to www.SelfDefenseShow.com and check it out.

Let me know what you think... [email protected]

or call and leave a voicemail... 206-600-5520

Look out for Episode 014 on Thursday night!

yalskey

Enlightened
Absolutely my friend. :)

Except for episodes 001 and 002 (which there is a contest running right now to see who can win these 1st episodes... listen to episode 012 for details)

Episodes 003 through 014 are available for download if you go to...

www.SelfDefenseShow.com

Then click on the Podcast button at the very top of the page.

As you scroll down the page, you will be able to see all the episodes available. Some older episode might be on the Archive page. The link to go to the Archive page should be at the very bottom of the Podcast page.

Thanks so much for taking your time to listen to my podcast... I consider it an honor!

For more instructions on podcasts, and how to get all the episodes, and every new episode as soon as they come out, please see my first post in this thread. It has a little tutorial on how to set all this up.

Thanks again my friend... and don't be shy about contacting the podcast...

EMAIL: [email protected]

PHONE VOICEMAIL: 206-600-5520

VWTim

Enlightened
Sounds good, I've got my Itunes setup to grab new ones and keep the old ones. I saw the listen button, just wasn't sure if it was going to start streaming them or not.
Thanks

yalskey

Enlightened
Great!!! I'm so glad that you are subscribed to the show... please feel free to call into the voicemail comment line, or email us anytime you want to add your points to the conversation!

I forgot to mention that on the Podcast page of www.SelfDefenseShow.com there is a little purple subscribe button under our picture. If you click that, iTunes will open up and automatically give you a subscription to the show.

Then you can just click the GET button next to the older shows in iTunes to download those episodes.

Thanks so much again my friend... glad to have you as a listener :)

Voicemail Comments: 206-600-5520

Email: [email protected]

p.s. The LISTEN button you mentioned, if you click it, takes you to the webpage devoted to that episode. From there, you can add comments to the bottom of the page. It will also start buffering up the show in the picture area. You can click the play button under the picture (once it's buffered enough) to listen directly from the webpage! It's not really "streamed" per se, but it is sorta "temporarily downloaded" in the window.

Last edited:

VWTim

Enlightened
Hmm, well that allows me to listen, but not to download. I don't listen to them on my home computer but on my Nano at work with headphones. And it looks like I can't save the file without Quicktime pro. They're not stashed somewhere I could download them directly from an FTP?

yalskey

Enlightened
You have a good point there.

I just changed the RSS feed to include the last 25 episodes (there's only 12 out as of now). It was set to only show the last 10 episodes, that's why you couldn't get them.

I also have setup a public download folder on my .mac idisk account.
Go to
http://idisk.mac.com/yalskey-Public

All the episodes will be in a folder there.

I hope this helps... and thank you for the continuing dedication to downloading these episodes. It's helped me improve the way I do things overall.

yalskey

Enlightened
Howdy Everyone,

We have been getting a TON of great listener support... so thank everyone for listening!

Episode 015 is now available for download. It's about how to assess a threat. If somebody says they will kill you, in writing or verbally, how do you know if they will make good on thier promise to kill? This episode will show you how.

You can go to www.SelfDefenseShow.com and click on the Podcast section at the top of the page to listen to the episode.

Alternatively, you can search for us on iTunes by searching for Self-Defense or any similar phrase in the podcast section. iTunes tends to be a day or so behind when it comes to having the latest episode however.

Third, you could download the episodes directly by going to:
http://idisk.mac.com/yalskey-Public/
in a folder there, you will be able to download any episode by clicking the little down arrow in a circle on the right.

Please feel free to contact us:

[email protected]

Phone Voicemail: 206-600-5520

www.SelfDefenseShow.com

Thanks guys :)

p.s. Don't forget about our iTunes review contest. The person who writes the best iTunes review (it doesn't have to be a high-star review, just written well and is helpful) has a chance to win the Self-Defense Show episodes 001 and 002; plus a copy of The VITAL Dozen DVD by VITAL Self-Defense! Hurry though because your review must be posted to iTunes by September 24th. (Non-US iTunes store reviews must email us with a screen shot of your review) [email protected]

yalskey

Enlightened
Wuz up fellow flashlight geeks?

Hey, episode 016 is ready for you to gobble up.

Not a whole lot of self-defense specific stuff, but it's fairly funny and entertaining anyways.

You WILL NOT want to miss 017 however. It will be posted Thursday night. As it turns out, I was COMPLETELY WRONG about Martial arts being BAD for self-defense, as you will hear me admit on episode 017. Check it out, I'm pretty sure you will like it! ;-)

Thanks to VWTim for some great email conversations. I'll tell you more about that in episode 018, which will be out this Sunday.

Thanks again guys for listening to the show.

www.SelfDefenseShow.com

[email protected]

Phone Voicemail: 206-600-5520

yalskey

Enlightened
Our BEST episode ever is OUT!

Episode 017 is one funny funny show, and almost an hour long too!

If you don't laugh your *** off, there's something wrong with you.

EPISODE DESCRIPTION
Charles admits he was wrong in episode 008 about martial arts being a bad for self-defense. After talking with some listeners, Charles thumbed through a Kung-Fu and Judo book, and discovered that martial arts really is the perfect answer for all kinds of violence issues. Christie introduces 15 major types of violence, from child molestation to carjacking, and Charles solves each one of these issues completely with ancient wisdom from the martial arts world. So I guess all those schools and instructors out there in martial arts are right and very responsible when they tell their students that martial arts is good for self-defense! At least Charles admits when he is wrong. But with all the answers to inter-Human violence solved with martial arts, what will we talk about next episode?

www.SelfDefenseShow.com

[email protected]

Voicemail: 206-600-5520

yalskey

Enlightened
Hey freaks and geeks,

Just wanted to remind you all about your chance to win the Self-Defense Show episodes 001, 002, as well as VITAL Self-Defense's 90-minute DVD, The VITAL Dozen.

All you have to do is go on the iTunes music store, search for Self-Defense in the Podcast section, and give us a review (good or bad) by the 24th of September.

On September 24th, Christie and I will subjectively pick the best (not necessarily the highest star) review, and announce the winner on that evening's episode!

If you live outside of the USA, you can still try to win, but since we can't see any non-US iTunes stores, please email us a screen shot of your review on iTunes. Make sure we can read it in the picture / image you send.

The winner will be getting 2.5 hours of audio, and 1.5 hours of video, for a total of 4 hours of self-defense goodness! Let your friends know, and have them review the show too!

Question? Comments?

[email protected]

Voicemail: 206-600-5520

yalskey

Enlightened
Episode 018 is ready for your listening pleasure guys...

Oh my God, Charles is alone again in this episode!!! In this special episode of the Self-Defense Show, Charles reads an email from a listener who brings up many valid points about the show, and the issue of martial arts being poor for self-defense. Charles then reads his overly long reply to the listener's email. This really adds a whole other layer of information to Charles' stance on this issue. It compliments episode 008 very well, so go and listen to that one if you haven't already! If this one is too dry for you, just skip it and go to the next episode.

www.SelfDefenseShow.com

[email protected]

Voicemail Comments: 206-600-5520