1Watt Amber Pocket Light 3"x1"x5/8",Energizer 9V (8 Amber 5mm High Brightness)

tonyb

Enlightened
1Watt Amber Pocket Light 3"x1"x5/8",Energizer 9V (8 Amber 5mm High Brightness)

I wanted a tiny pocket light that ran off a 9V battery. I was thinking of using a luxeon amber. Then I thought Sh*t, I need to make a power supply to step down the 9V input O.K. I already done that with my SkyLite rip off design which uses my ultra efficient 98% stepdown circuit which I also use to run my luxeons off any input from 4 Volts to 30 volts of input. Then I have to make a cutom lens. Forget It! 8 Amber, 30 degree 5mm High Brightness Leds, a switch, and a 9V battery, Done! It's cheap, it's bright, I like very much! Too many round lights out there, I like square lights can you tell ? This thing feels great in your hand and its well balanced. It measures 3-1/16 long by 1 inch high and 5/8 inch wide. It draws a little over 100mA from the 9V battery.
threelights.JPG

Top: 1 Watt luxeon star, 98% eff. Step-down circuit, any input from 4.0 volts to 30 volts of input.
Middle: SkyLite Rip-Off Alternate from 2 white leds to two red leds, dimmable, 98% eff. Step-down circuit, 9 volt battery.
Bottom: 8 amber high brightness leds, 9 volt direct drive.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 1Watt Amber Pocket Light 3"x1"x5/8",Energizer 9V (8 Amber 5mm High Brightness)

Originally posted by tonyb:
[QB][/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey, that's cool!
grin.gif
I did something similar with a 5W cyan, which I called the 'Pocket Zorch'. I used optics, and direct drive from a 9V battery.

Pocket.Zorch.3.jpg

Pocket Zorch

I'd say yours is way more sophisticated!

Nice job!

tonyb

Enlightened
Re: 1Watt Amber Pocket Light 3"x1"x5/8",Energizer 9V (8 Amber 5mm High Brightness)

There is no step down on the 8 x 5mm amber flashlight. Its 2 sets of 4 leds in series connected in parallel or each led voltage drop 2.1V + 2.1V + 2.1V + 2.1V = 8.4V

After it gets dark I'll take some beamshots of the shop.

Mutie

Enlightened

Tonyb,

Nice work. I almost exclusively direct drive with 9v and series/parrallel strings and since coming here have felt very much the exception.

Wayne,

What kind of run time do you get and how hot does it run? I finally hooked up one of my 5w rb's up a couple of weeks ago. First I did 6v direct drive and it was like I spent $45 on this? Then I tried 7.5 and it was "Ok now we're cooking with gas" and it was not real warm either. Then I thought what the hey it can't hurt to try off a 9v. I figured there was no way it could get enough current. Much to my surprise it worked quite well but started getting too hot pretty quick so I shut it off until I can get the right heatsink for my application. But to get an idea of what runtime would be a grabbed a pretty dead 9v and tried that. It was only about as bright as a 1w but wasn't getting even warm. I ran it for 2 hours like that and could not tell that it got really any dimmer. So it does seem like I can get at least 3 hours of useable life.

I've been wanting to post something here about it but have been holding off until I could get something more scientific about my results.

tonyb

Enlightened

Cool light Wayne , I guess I was thinking along the same lines.

tonyb

Enlightened

Here are a few more pics.

frontveiw.JPG

hand.JPG

beamspot.JPG

Its much brighter than my 1W white luxeon and the color is easy on the eyes too, I find that when I turn the light out I don't lose my visual acuity like I do with the white L.E.D. Beamspot 2-1/2 feet dia. at 6 ft.