Are those Micropucks easy to use??

Masala

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm new at this kind of stuff and I was looking at the Micropucks. Anyone use these yet? Do they come with directions?

I'm just worried I won't know what the hell to do.

Thanks

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered one. From what I gather, they're about as easy to use as it comes.

My estimation is this:
2 wires for batteries
2 wires for luxeon

attach battery wires to batteries (observing polarities)
attach luxeon wires to luxeon (observing polarities)

Throw the switch and start pouring out photons
grin.gif

I guess I'll find out when mine arrives.

-Darin

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using them a while now. Extremly easy. Just 4 wires, which are color coded. They include directions, which make it hard to do it wrong.

I just visited their web site. I didn't realize they had come out with a regulator for the 5 watt.

Here's a pic of the 2008 5W driver:

2008.Driver.jpg

Here's a link to their site:

LED Supply

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Masala

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys!

Got Mine yesterday, and yes, they are so easy to use I am a little embarrased about asking. Maybe next time I should wait till I get the product and confused before asking stupid questions
wink.gif

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
We had no problem figuring it out either. Actually, more challenging was finding a way to fit it into the body of a homemade light and at the same time keeping things so they can be taken apart later.

Wayne, is the chip or regulater already in place on that thing? On the 1w ones we ordered there was a little box dangling from the wires which I believe contains the regulater. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....

B@rt

Flashaholic
Peter, that "thing" is the driver. A 5W luxeon has to be added.
I believe you ordered a kit, and the little box connected to the luxeon is the 1W driver...
winkie.GIF

ledsupply_1729_238659

1W driver.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should of ordered the 350ma puck also!
The 5W part has been shipped (for my 5W Cyan) but I should of ordered the little puck for my mini-LGI! Somebody smack me in the head!
grin.gif
That part is so small I would of figured out how to mount it in my mini-LGI. Ahhhh well, it will become reality at a later date. Now for the PowerPuck to come in...

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered 4 of the PowerPucks that will probably arrive before my 4 @ June 2002 group-buy 5W LS from Electrolumens.

Pretty soon I may actually have to actually decide what platform or platforms to install these in.

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Is the 5w driver larger than the 1w version? Or is it the same basic thing? Also, why do they not just make the driver flat and attach it to the bottom of the luxeon?

Thanks for the clarification Bart! I didn't really know what the box was I just knew we needed it...
smile.gif

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Hmmm, reread post. That 5w driver does indeed look larger than the little 1w box. But how much?

Benthead, it's small but it seems much larger when you're trying to cram it into the flashlight body. Even after shortening the wires and soldering them back together the thing was still a little bit cumbersome. My buddy talked to LED Supply where we got ours and they said that sure they could make a flat one. Well, why the hell didn't they in the first place!!
smile.gif

Masala

Newly Enlightened
Well, I just ordered the PowerPuck with 4 1watt cyans....guess who is going to have the coolest interior car lighting on the block????

ME!

Masala

Newly Enlightened
LOL. I am thinking, one 1 watt in the dome, one on the inside of each front door, and one down where the front passengers feet go.

I swear, stopping and opening my door is going to be the best part of driving!

Y2Kirk1028

Enlightened
Originally posted by Masala:
LOL. I am thinking, one 1 watt in the dome, one on the inside of each front door, and one down where the front passengers feet go.

I swear, stopping and opening my door is going to be the best part of driving!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Take a look at this site for LS car light mods.

Kirk