Who here works (or can) on their own car?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some recent threads just made me curious. How many CPF'ers work on their own vehicles, or at least have the experience if they wanted to? What's your skill level? What work have you done to your current ride?

Right now I'm good for most stuff other than internal engine and more complicated transmission repair, or bodywork/glass/painting. Already did the entire rear brake system on my Jeep ZJ last year, and in about a week I'll be doing front brake system, shocks, swaybars, steering stuff, and the engine control computer. That's the tip of a mile-long future to-do list.

So, let's hear it.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't dig too far into the internals of my engines or transmissions, but I do practically everything myself, or with the help of a friend or two. About the only exception is mounting and balancing tires. I don't have my own equipment for that (yet) but hope to have a tire mounter and wheel balancer within a few years.

I've replaced head gaskets, clutches, timing belts, done brake work, extensive suspension work, replaced engines (as a unit), exhaust work, and even a little bit of body work. There isn't too much I can't/won't do, but if a newer car is still in warranty, I will usually take it to a dealer for the warranty repair.

-Keith

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do...I've done everything from engine rebuilds to complete brake system overhauls. But I won't do shocks/struts. Don't have the time/patience/tools/courage to do that...CAREFUL with those pieces.

JM-99

VWTim

Enlightened
I've done most everything except automatic transmissions and tires. My track car (NHA Hillclimb) was bought as a shell. I've rebuilt motors, alignments, body work (which I despise), worked in a light repair shop for 8 years, and done lots of weekend/afterhours work for people. Mostly motor swaps and others into early Watercooled VW's.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I rate myself as below shade-tree mechanic. I do very basic maintenance like oil changes, tire rotations, air filters, battery replacements, radiator flushes, and might work my way up to swapping the front brake pads. Anything that requires special tools I lack the tools, expertise, and workspace for.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me. brakes, suspension, stereo (including custom sub box), engine gaskets/disassembly (down to the block). I haven't done a camshaft or crank shaft, but have taken heads off etc. I've done struts and that's not that bad. It is a little scary with the spring under pressure though. Shocks are easy, no pressure on them, just unbolt them and replace. Not like the crappy mchpherson stuff with the mount/spring/etc.

I've also put on a new door and swaped over all the stuff including riveting in a window motor/glass. Put on and aligned a new hood and fender. I've sealed body seams were the factory sealant had failed and was leakign water in. That sucked finding all the leaks.

Last edited:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
ASE certified advanced master tech. I worked as a mechanic until I realized that doing it for a living took all the fun out of it. Now I have a job that I don't 'enjoy' and all is good.:lolsign: If it has to do with automotive I'll do it and if I don't know how, I'll learn. :grin2:

-DF

No. I don't have a place nor tools for working on cars beyond the very basic and they're nto a very effective investment.

I used to do my own brakes and such when I had my crappy van though.

rodfran

Enlightened
My wife and I bracket raced a 1968 Plymouth Satellite and a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T for many years.
We had an excellent machine shop to do the cylinder heads, crank, rods,etc. We were really picky in those days when we would assemble those 440's.

Now they get mostly car show attention.

My first ride was a 1968 Plymouth Fury I ex-highway Patrol Car. That is how I got into Chryslers.
It was a real stripped down ride. It had rubber floor mats from the factory with no carpeting. It was lots of fun!

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mount/balance tires. I don't fiddle with automatic transmission insides, but I'll swap out entire auto transmissions and do fluid/filter changes. I don't do heavy body work, but I'll pound out, bondo over, and rattle can a dent with the best of them. I don't do upholstery at all. I'll tackle light welding(exhaust systems, hangers, etc.) but I have my friend do the frame welding and other more important stuff. He's got all the right equipment and is a certified nuclear power welder. I do everything else. For the most part, I wouldn't let anyone else get within ten feet of my vehicles with a screwdriver or a ratchet.

:buddies:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can change my oil/filter, and replace the air filter. That's the extent of my knowledge.
My brother, with a nice big garage, refuses to change his own oil.

Me: Dude, you can do your own oil and use full syntech, plus the filter for under $30...
Him: I'd rather take my car to Walmart and let them change it for $xx.xx

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Back when I was driving a '71 Plymouth Duster I could change the starter motor in 15 minutes flat. Only because I had to do this pretty often, and because there was nothing under the hood except a motor! I don't do anything except emergency repairs now.

BTW I used to have a '68 Dodge Charger 440. It was a gas guzzler but gosh did it want to go fast!

VWTim

Enlightened
Omega Man said:
I can change my oil/filter, and replace the air filter. That's the extent of my knowledge.
My brother, with a nice big garage, refuses to change his own oil.

Me: Dude, you can do your own oil and use full syntech, plus the filter for under $30...
Him: I'd rather take my car to Walmart and let them change it for $xx.xx

It's all what your time is worth to you. Most people absolutely hate and dread working on cars. Others enjoy it as a hobby, while others tolerate it to save money. I hear you on the changing careers to enjoy it tho. Now that I'm not working in the auto shop I actually can enjoy spending my weekends in my garage.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've rebuilt, repaired, reinforced and/or replaced just about everything on my old 87 Suzuki Samurai.

Except I had pros do the engine ('high performance') rebuild (If you can call 1500CCs in anything bigger than a motorcycle high performance) because I'm basically too sloppy and careless to do anything that requires that level of precision / cleanliness.

I'm not looking forward to the time I have to do work on my newer big Ford 4WD truck. What I know about fuel injection and computer controlled 'everything' , I could write on the back of a business card with plenty of room left over.

To be honest though, the only thing I like less than working on (or especially under) a vehicle is paying someone else to do it.

And unfortunately, around here, even the certified mechanics leave much to be desired. My old buddy that just bought a new Jaguar sedan about two months ago....
(Yeah, I tease him about buying a Jag every time I see him.... I mean, the guy had a 63 Vette, and one of the only 60 ever made 1970 Dodge Challenger Hemis... Now he drives a Jag? Cripes..... Well, he's been a little insane ever since he switched from being a fairly honest commodities trader to a currency trader who specializes in Euros : :sick2: ).....
Anyway, he already had to have the brakes replaced.... The local dealer had to load it up on a car hauler and drive it 200 miles to Albuquerque to get the brakes done properly. :ohgeez:

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nice thing about computers and fuel injectors is that you really don't have to know much. Usually either works or it doesn't, and if something's wrong it'll code. No tuning or tickling like with carbs.

My Jeep started doing crazy things when I first started it in the morning. Only on cold days. Checked all the sensors, wires, etc. Then I took the PCM out and put it in the fridge--totally dead. Then I put it in the oven--works fine. So I'm getting a used PCM in exchange for a flashlight, of all things. Easy. First thought it was a solder joint but I think a failing chip now.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:
Usually either works or it doesn't, and if something's wrong it'll code.

Except for a few things...during investigation of my mileage issue on my truck, I found others that had a fuel leak (no code thrown) and others that have had bad O2 sensors that didn't code either...

So...I wish mine would give me a code, but it won't. It's so bad, I'm getting my 3/4 ton Blazer diesel going.

JM-99

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do all of my own work. My father has owned a garage and body shop for the past 40+ years, and I worked there when I was in high school and college. If there is something that I can't handle at home, I go to his shop and take care of it. Over this past weekend I put a new AC compressor on my car.

Arkayne

Enlightened
I do all of my own work. Mostly Honda's though. I worked at a shop for a few years while deciding what to do with my life. I've rebuilt my motors, I do my brakes, fuel system, install stereos, I've welded custom intake piping for my past turbo applications, suspension work.... pretty much everything except put tires on and paint.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I do most work on my car myself. But I don't really have the workspace for it at the moment. I've done all kinds of things on my car... Changing shocks, replacing engine, swapping transmission, almost completely rewired it, replaced the interior, built in electronic ignition, replaced busted fan, radiator and waterpump pulley on the roadside, replaced exhaust system and lots more... only thing I don't really like to do myself is the brakes, so I always have them checked by a professional after I've done work on them.