• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired I want a super duper Custom Mag! Help! Everyone!!

lukestephens777

Enlightened
Hi all,

Have been looking at some of the available Custom made Mag Lights people make on this forum. Look awesome.

If anyone could help me design a custom Mag it would be great!

My Basic idea is a 3D Maglite possible in HAIII

- With a U bin Luxeon III (higher bin if available) in white The brighter the better!!! By the way whats the best LED to use? Luxeon III or Luxeon k2??

- High quality heat sink for best LED life and brightness

- Aluminium reflector for maximum throw (Throw is most important to me, however a useable amount of sidespill is also needed.

- Driver needed to run off NIMH's and control regualtion (know nothing about this part dc/dc converters etc, Fatmax???) so please help if you can

- UCL Lense (pretty stock standard)

- Green glowring around LED

Also does a Trilux setup allow for throw or will it nearly all be side spill

If anyone could help me it would be appreciated, all comments and ideas are welcome.

Once i decide on the setup i want someone with the skills to make it for me!!
Will post pics beamshots etc!!!

Cheers all

Luke

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

the closest I can think of is Mac's (cmacclel) single LED flupic driven mod, which at the time of making housed a u-bin LuxIII with glow powder at the base near the LED.

just a couple of thoughts.

-a tri-lux setup does allow for throw. look at some of Icarius's mods and the lights from Electrolumens and you'll see that they throw incredibly well. However, they will probably less throw because of the smaller reflectors but have much more overall light, possibly enough to make up for the throw if you put in enough LEDs. Icarius makes some beautiful multi-lux setups.

-the stock Mag lens is plastic. you will have to ask for a UCL(TM) or buy one from flashlightlens.com

-the stock Mag reflector is also plastic, but LEDs emit heat out the back, and not from the beam, so as long as you're not using the reflector as a heatsink, i'm not sure what using an aluminium reflector will achieve. My farthest LED thrower (I own neither of the above) is my MrBulk Chameleon with bulkhead, and it uses a modified standard (plastic) mag reflector.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Luke:)

The possibilities to mod a Mag are nearly endless. Take a look to the mods of the members: Icarus, Mac, Milkyspit and others to get an idea.

Also the batterie configuration is important. You want a 3D-host, so you can get a very long runtime using one Led.

A multiple solution is always brighter with less runtime. For my taste a 2-D is better to handle. With an 8xAA to 2-D holder you can put a lot of energy in.

Decide what you want, nimh's or LiIon's. Single or multiple arrangement.

About the LuxIII or K2, I prefer the LuxIII U-bin. IMO the only advantage of the K2 is the lower price.

But you can get also a Trilux V-model, more floodier than a Trilux III.

I'm very very happy with my light, build by "Icarus":

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120198

It has "only" 20mm reflectors but an unbelievable throw.

Best regards

_____
Tom

aileron

Newly Enlightened
- With a U bin Luxeon III (higher bin if available) in white The brighter the better!!! By the way whats the best LED to use? Luxeon III or Luxeon k2??
--The Lux3 and K2 have a bit different traits, right now there are many more Lux3 options in terms of both LEDs themselves and heatsinks/reflectors/etc to suit. K2s seem to be a bit cheaper for the lumens per watt. For the options reason I've used Lux1 and 3s for all my semipractical projects so far.

- High quality heat sink for best LED life and brightness
--Are you going to use emitters or stars? There are heatsinks specifically for each. LITEmania has some Hotlips Ds left in a sales thread I think. These are for emitters. The Perfect Tri-Star sink or PTS is made to fit three stars snug and perfectly aligned. I seem to recall Icarus making a beautiful light with one of these.

- Aluminium reflector for maximum throw (Throw is most important to me, however a useable amount of sidespill is also needed.)
--Fivemega has some removable-cam reflectors here that are supposedly neat. I believe they will work well with a Hotlips. (experts?)The McR27L is apparently a throw monster, I believe the sandwich shoppe has those. Someone more smarter than I will have to tell you if you can fit three in a Mag head.

- Driver needed to run off NIMH's and control regualtion (know nothing about this part dc/dc converters etc, Fatmax???) so please help if you can
--By nimh do you mean AAs? These battery adapters are beautifully made, I had a 3D-9AA that served me well in a Mag85. After looking around I have two personal choices in driver, nflex and fatman, both from taskled.com. The nflex steps down (buck, more volts in than out) and has really useful options like dimming that can turn back on at the level you were last using. The Fatman is a step-up or boost driver. IIRC both require a momentary switch, so modding the stock magswitch is required.
Do you need a buck or boost driver? To choose you need to add up the voltage of your LEDs (if they're wired in series) and compare it with the voltage of your batteries. NiMH are nominally 1.2v each, and you can fit 9 of any AAs in an unbored 3D. 12AA-3D is a hit and miss affair without boring.

- UCL Lense (pretty stock standard)
--As you probably know, flashlightlens.com is good for lenses. I keep a borofloat spare around cause UCL can be fragile.

- Green glowring around LED
--These are fun. Slow-set crystal clear epoxy and a bunch of glow powder is also fun. :)

Also does a Trilux setup allow for throw or will it nearly all be side spill
--This depends entirely on your reflectors. How much throw is enough is also a subjective topic. It seems to me a trio of McR27Ls (assuming they fit) would be very throwy. An idea of what you intend to use the light for might help.

Well, hope that gives you a few pointers.. sorry about the rambling answers :)

aileron

Newly Enlightened
Long John said:
...With an 8xAA to 2-D holder...
..I'm very very happy with my light, build by "Icarus"...

Where can I pick up an 8AA-2D? I'm looking to keep my HA3 2D well fed, that will open up a couple more options than a 6AA.
Also.. you got that light? I envy you. :)
It's a beautiful piece.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
aileron said:
Where can I pick up an 8AA-2D? I'm looking to keep my HA3 2D well fed, that will open up a couple more options than a 6AA.
Also.. you got that light? I envy you. :)
It's a beautiful piece.

Yes, it's mine:grin2: It's a super duper Custom Mag:).

The batterie holder is made by Modamag. But my Mag is bored, so I don't know, if 8 cells will fit your unbored Mag. I guess the less capacity cells will fit, but ask Modamag.

Best regards

____
Tom

lukestephens777

Enlightened
Thanks everyone so far for the input! Much appreciated!

My Super duper custom Mag!! Is coming soon!!

I Read all you guys posts, interesting stuff

So here's what i think so far

Would like a trilux Have looked at Icarus's light the Tricarus! ha! Nice Light

Cheers again

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow. now if we can make the 2 inch deep reflector to work with the hotlip :p

now now, there is no K2 hotlip availalbe yet( or is there?)

a aluminium reflector will give you the coolness for having one. the sotck one will do pretty much the same.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
lukestephens777 said:
Thanks everyone so far for the input! Much appreciated!

My Super duper custom Mag!! Is coming soon!!

I Read all you guys posts, interesting stuff

So here's what i think so far

Would like a trilux Have looked at Icarus's light the Tricarus! ha! Nice Light

Cheers again

You're welcome Luke:)

This decision you will not regret. Tell us your impressions with your new light.

Best regards

_____
Tom

s.duff

Enlightened
mirage man is the way to go for sure. he is doing hard anodized led mag mods. i have one that is a total scorcher!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, 3D running 3xD NiMH would be nice. Get some 10ahr nimh. At 3leds, 1amp per led you're looking at 3hrs 18mins. Or if you go with 4 leds, 2.5 hrs! Still impressive! I'd probably go for the quad. Direct drive with U**K luxeons and it would be pretty close to dead on. If you wanted a regulator, then one of georges regulators would work I would assume, but then I'm not sure if you could stick with 3D NiMH. I like to stick with D's/C's as taking out 6 or more AA's out of a holder from your D mag is a pain I think to recharge.

Or you could go with the C formfactor and li-ions too and one of the www.taskled.com drivers.

The tri/quad mods throw well, lighting up distances that you can see at night without binoculars. And the sidespill is awesome. Like lighting up your whole back yard. Not much room to put glow epoxy that will be charged by the light though. Unless you do it to the bezel of the mag ring, but it will only get charged in spots where a reflector is close by. A single luxeon mod will throw farther and still have good spill, but not light up a whole room or backyard. It will go a little farther and light up the distance a little bit brighter, but not a huge difference unless you are wanting to see super duper far away. Runtime of course is better as it's just one LED, and you can put glow epoxy around the emitter and it will self charge. Best to have a tri/quad and a single mag mod. As they both serve different purposes!!!! For instance, my single is for runtime and general use (5hrs regulated 1 amp off of C NiMH) and my tri is for absolute brute lighting force with only 1hr 40min runtime (DD C NiMH).

litho123

Enlightened
Long John said:
:lolsign:Take a look at post4:whistle:

Best regards

____
Tom

:ohgeez: Hey it's the same link!! :ohgeez:
Sorry about that LJ. I was talking with Mirage_Man the other night about that beauty and, like you, wanted to try and find a good home for it.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could start with an O-sink. Flashlight lens still has some. They also have the UCL that you will need.

The reflectors from fivemega are great. I would use a LUX V and some sort of driver.
These sinks look promising as well
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131167

As somebody said the sky is the limit.
The space needle was the grand daddy of them all using a 2 c body a LUX V and a couple of cr123a's stacked make for a small bright light sabre of a flashlight.

You will learn that generally the LUX III create a tighter and brighter beam when used with the Mag reflector. The LUX V emitter produces almost the same level of brightness depending on how you drive it but the beam is much THICKER. over all more light. I love the LUX V emitter in the mag host. find a good one and it will amaze you.
Yaesumofo

rscanady

Enlightened
chesterqw said:
wow. now if we can make the 2 inch deep reflector to work with the hotlip :p

now now, there is no K2 hotlip availalbe yet( or is there?)

a aluminium reflector will give you the coolness for having one. the sotck one will do pretty much the same.

K2 fit on hotlips just fine, the hotlips is merely an aluminum pedestal to which you can epoxy or AA the emitter. An O-sink on the other hand (at least the old ones) has a machined area designed specifically for the Lux III slug and will not fit the new K2's.

An aluminum reflector really only needs to be used in hotwires, the reason is the stock plastic ones were prone to melt with some hotwire setups. The throw of the reflector is a function of size, shape, and texture, not necessarily the material its made of. Think back to your physics for lenses and reflectors. My advice if you are looking for maximum throw using a single LED and stock Mag head is just to stick with the smooth stock reflector. The cam can easily be cut off to work with the hotlips, this has been done MANY Times.

If you are building a trilux or quadlux, then you can use optics, IMS20, but I personally like the McR 20 due to the texture.

Ryan

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting - I have been thinking of getting a tri or quad lux as well - I currently have the DB-3W in a 3D Mag, pretty amazing throw. I was thinking of getting a quad lux III u-bin from Eric, but do you guys think it will have less throw than the DB-3W in standard Mag reflector? If so, I am also partial to getting a quad lux V (if Eric will do it) and get a serious "wall of light" Mag - kind of like a CR2 Ion on steroids!

My main use for the monsters? Briefly lighting large areas outdoors at night (after bonfire, working on some things around building, etc.), AS WELL AS outdoors while camping, to look for intruders to property (have been having some issues lately!) and spot things going "bump" in the night at distances...what do y'all think?

rscanady

Enlightened
The quadlux will put out a lot more light but wont have that tight spot long throw beam like a single LED in standard Mag reflector. I personally have a couple of each for different applications. I find that my 1D trilux is my most used though.

Ryan

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello mcmc:)

I think a Trilux Mag-mod with Premium led's and McR20 reflectors will outthrow a stock Magled.

My Tricarus is incredible in output. Also at far distances. You will get better throw with LuxIII against to LuxV, including better runtime.

Best regards

_____
Tom