Flashlights in Bangkok

InTheDark

Enlightened
Most anything of decent quality is going to be pretty expensive in Bangkok. MBK has a couple of nice shops that sell outdoor equipment with Petzl and Princeton tec stuff, but it's about 2x the normal (US) price. Chautuchak weekend market also has few stalls with stuff, but still expensive ($40 Maglites). I assume it has to do with the fact that all the decent lights need to be imported, I don't know of any decent quality thai manufacturers. It's probably cheaper to buy over the internet.

If you're looking for cheap LED lights, then there are plenty of places all over the place and at the night markets. Just bargain with them.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
umm.. pay attention to shops which has some grizzly bears as shop owners..

my cousin was forced to buy the flashlight(a 5led oneaa) even though it was more expensive then other shops. not that he said anything, but he had a knife in his hand!

mosport

Enlightened
Last visit to Thailand didn't turn up much, probably because I was too distracted with eating! That doesn't mean flashlights aren't available, but it won't be cheap for imported major name brands. I've read about CPFers finding Surefire Porcupine's in Bangkok too.

Like InTheDark mentioned, Chatuchak weekend market is good starting point to explore. Big-C or Tesco supermarkets should also carry cheapie flashlights, picked up a few for SMJLED modding.

Enjoy your trip!

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
As mentioned above, anything imported from US will be costlier than getting it back home. Reasonable deals can be found on the cheap multi-LED chinese stuff, but make sure you have them test it first. You will also want to check the tint.

Besides Chatuchak, you can check out Pantip Plaza, ground floor. Its mostly a computer place, but there is a lot of other stuff there you can use. You can find Eneloops, Li-Ions (123-sized, mostly) and NiMH batteries, chargers, etc.