Kroma...

ruledpaper

Newly Enlightened
:huh2:
Ok. So as you probably all know, the Kroma is up on Surefire's site... but the head scratcher is the lumen estimates. Last I had heard, it was designed like so:

High White 60
Low White 15
High Color 15
Low Color 3

Now, its more like:

Hight White 50
Low White 1.4
High Color 3.4/6.3
Low Color 0.5

Is Surefire just selling themselves short in the lumen department? Personally, I would have liked a little more power out of the low white setting. Actually, a lot more. I think I'll just be getting an L2 now.

redcar

Enlightened
The early numbers made it look like a multi colored L2. Now it looks like it will more closely resemble a multi-color all-LED A2. Those that already have it in hand say they really like it and the light levels are very useful. But everyone's needs are different. You just can't go wrong the L2.

I'll take it which ever way it comes. The L2 and A2 are my favorite lights and I can never decide which one to carry and switch back and forth all the time.

Redd

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
The white A2 is my most used light too, closely followed by my red A2, so I preordered one of the Mil Spec Kromas yesterday from tacticalsupply.com and am hoping it duplicates the output levels of the A2 rather than having an excessively high output on the low setting like most other lights do.

I would suspect Surefire's rated output levels on it to be pretty close because the Kroma was obviously designed for people who have to work in the dark without ruining their dark adapted vision and I'm hoping it will be like an all in one version of the A2.

Richard

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a strong tendency for CPFers to be dissatisfied with lights because they don't put out a huge amount of lumens. Granted, it is nice to have a bath of bright light to move around in, or a super bringht beam for seeing far-off objects, but that is more than is needed.

My take is that the Kroma gives just what is *required*, no more, no less.

I for one do not want to find myself in a market where all flashlights are geared toward "wow factor." Those lights are probably more fun, but they are poorer tools in general. Runtime is a good thing, and -- as more than one soldier has pointed out -- sometimes more light than you need is a very bad thing. Extremely bright light usage really is the exception rather than the rule when one is going about his or her business in the dark.

You can always buy a Kroma and an L2. :)

Scott

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
My problem with the Kroma is the head size to accommodate all those LEDs, plus the mandatory blue LEDs. Everybody doesn't want blue.

Now if they made one with a smaller head containing (in addition to main emitter) only 8 red LEDs, only 8 white LEDs, or 4 red + 4 white, I'd like that.

Even the same physical design and head size but with 8 red AND 8 white LEDs (16 total, but no blue) would be a good option.

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
True the KROMA head size does make it more difficult to EDC, and that has prevented me from carrying it more. But, this light is definately the most versitile. The low setting in white is probably around 15lumens, tops. The high setting is probably just around the 60lumens. I would say that you will not be disappointed with this light. Plus you just can't beat the WOW factor when people see this light.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The low on my Kroma is definately not 15 lumens but it is a very helpful and useful 1.4 lumens or something like that. The output is definately less than my U2 on low. Many have asked for a lower, low on the U2 and the Kroma fits the bill. I find the low on the Kroma much more useful than the low on the L1 as the beam has a much more useful shape. Much closer to a "reflectored" beam than other optics based beams.

I find each of the levels very useful but I also don't know what to do with the blue. White in the place of blue would be an improvement but I am almost perfectly happy with the Kroma in it's current configuration.

Output is similar to the A2 but the head is a little larger and this does make it less pocketable since the it is a bezel down carry.

I would agree with Beezaur's assessment about the usefulness of the various levels.

-Goatee

redcar

Enlightened
Blue is a good color for finding lost arrows (neon colored fletching). If you can't find them in the day, come back at night with the blue light. It makes neon colors glow about as good as UV, plus you got the blue to light up non-neon objects much better than UV so you can see where you're going. Take a look at some of your outdoor gear, packs, whistles, other flashlights, how about the neon colored camo gear that looks blaze orange but deer see it as black and white. Is that still in use? Anyway it could be of help to find dropped items in the boonies if they are so colored.

It is also pretty good at making watches, compasses and frisbees that glow-in-the-dark glow. Not quite as good as my UV lights, but resonably close.

Redd

Glow Bug

Enlightened
92046500-L.jpg

92047370-L.jpg

Close enough to stick ya!

Latest posts